Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 07:27 AM

17,663 posts, read 17,805,202 times

Advertisements

Recorded and just watched the episode. Was a kid during the time this took place (born in 1969). Thankfully at that time I found the evening news boring and was busy playing or doing homework when it was on. Even more thankful we didn’t have 24 hour news networks nor access to instant news alerts via smart phones or tablets. It was already a scary time living under the constant threat of nuclear war.

It was also a time in which young kids were allowed to roam the streets to play on their bicycles learning their own independence and self reliance. That made it easier for such predators. This guy didn’t just target children. He targeted any opportunity victim regardless of age or ethnic origins. One day at our elementary school bus stop we were targeted in a similar manner. Guy drove up and opened the passenger side door telling us we missed the bus and he would take us to school. One kid stepped forward to get in and I grabbed his shoulder and pulled him back. When no one stepped forward he quickly drove off and the bus arrived right after he left. At that time period we never thought to report this to anyone. Ten years ago my sister and I told our parents and they were shocked at how close we were to being lost forever at that young age.

The sad part, for me, about the documentary was the lost opportunities and that he is still alive. He was caught, sent to jail, and released a few times. He was found guilty and sentenced to death twice, first time was appealed and reversed so he was tried again and again found guilty. Because of changes to California law he was never executed and is laying in a hospital bed in prison. They truly got him when they searched a storage unit and found jewelry and photos of his victims. In early 2000 he tried to appeal his conviction with he acting as his own attorney. The jewelry was searched for usable DNA evidence and compared to the known victims as well as using the photographs. They definitively got him. They also found other victims they could directly connect to him. However because of his health they didn’t bother to try him for those murders but at least some families have closure.

The episode ended with a link to the collection of photos found at his storage unit of those who may or may not have been his victims. He passed himself off as a photographer and had attended college for photography. He regularly requested to take people’s photos on the streets and beaches. Some of those in the photos may not have been a victim, but rather a potential target that got away. If you are among the photos then let the police know so they can be removed from the list. If you think you recognize someone from the photos then let them know so they can follow up on the information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2021, 01:50 AM

118 posts, read 87,618 times
This sounds really interesting. When was this on? I wonder if it will be repeated or if streaming will let me see it with the ABC app.

Old 01-19-2021, 05:09 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,900,789 times
I get the feeling he must have gotten along well with people such as the judges, the lawyers, the prison guards, etc. How else could he have gotten such light punishment?

Old 01-20-2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleidoscopic Chicken View Post
This sounds really interesting. When was this on? I wonder if it will be repeated or if streaming will let me see it with the ABC app.
It included clips from the Dating Game show. Knowing what we know now his answers to her questions are extremely creepy. Back then they wanted the contestants to answer with cheesy responses in a sexual nature without actually using sex talk. However his response takes on a whole different meaning knowing he was a serial killer who raped and strangled his victims then tied them up in sexually suggestive poses for the police to find. It included interviews with his first known victim who barely survived, a co-contestant who was on the stage with him, detectives and prosecutors on his case, and some relatives of his victims. At the end of the episode they presented a link to view the photos found in his storage unit in the hopes of identifying any potential victims.

Old 01-20-2021, 02:18 PM

2,506 posts, read 3,259,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Recorded and just watched the episode. Was a kid during the time this took place (born in 1969). Thankfully at that time I found the evening news boring and was busy playing or doing homework when it was on. Even more thankful we didn’t have 24 hour news networks nor access to instant news alerts via smart phones or tablets. It was already a scary time living under the constant threat of nuclear war.

It was also a time in which young kids were allowed to roam the streets to play on their bicycles learning their own independence and self reliance. That made it easier for such predators. This guy didn’t just target children. He targeted any opportunity victim regardless of age or ethnic origins. One day at our elementary school bus stop we were targeted in a similar manner. Guy drove up and opened the passenger side door telling us we missed the bus and he would take us to school. One kid stepped forward to get in and I grabbed his shoulder and pulled him back. When no one stepped forward he quickly drove off and the bus arrived right after he left. At that time period we never thought to report this to anyone. Ten years ago my sister and I told our parents and they were shocked at how close we were to being lost forever at that young age.

The sad part, for me, about the documentary was the lost opportunities and that he is still alive. He was caught, sent to jail, and released a few times. He was found guilty and sentenced to death twice, first time was appealed and reversed so he was tried again and again found guilty. Because of changes to California law he was never executed and is laying in a hospital bed in prison. They truly got him when they searched a storage unit and found jewelry and photos of his victims. In early 2000 he tried to appeal his conviction with he acting as his own attorney. The jewelry was searched for usable DNA evidence and compared to the known victims as well as using the photographs. They definitively got him. They also found other victims they could directly connect to him. However because of his health they didn’t bother to try him for those murders but at least some families have closure.

The episode ended with a link to the collection of photos found at his storage unit of those who may or may not have been his victims. He passed himself off as a photographer and had attended college for photography. He regularly requested to take people’s photos on the streets and beaches. Some of those in the photos may not have been a victim, but rather a potential target that got away. If you are among the photos then let the police know so they can be removed from the list. If you think you recognize someone from the photos then let them know so they can follow up on the information.
What channel/network was this on? A little more info, please.

Old 01-20-2021, 02:42 PM

OK since Victim is being rather stingy with the info I found it on Amazon Prime. Guillermo Diaz is the killer, he was in the series WEEDS.
We will be checking this out. I dont recall this fellow in real life.

Old 01-20-2021, 08:14 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,248,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
ABC

I watched it on HULU

Old 01-21-2021, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
It was a 20/20 special which is an ABC network that is owned by Disney.

Old 01-21-2021, 02:09 PM

Quote:
It was a 20/20 special which is an ABC network that is owned by Disney.
Its on Hulu and Amazon.

Old 01-21-2021, 06:50 PM

22,013 posts, read 9,591,807 times
Quote:

This stuff happens now in then in our neighborhood. They post it on message boards so people know about it. Back when we were kids, you might occasionally hear something but it wasn't really definitive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV