Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2021, 01:25 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,595,399 times

Advertisements

Has anyone watched this yet? I love Frances McDormand and was hoping she was good in it. I'm hoping to watch it this weekend, but I'd love to hear of reviews if anyone's already seen it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2021, 08:43 AM

2,540 posts, read 2,806,226 times
I'd love to watch it. The concept intrigues me as I knew someone who did it. Although I've long since lost touch with her, she hit the road after one of her children committed an unspeakable crime (known world-wide and still referenced very frequently in the news) and she'd simultaneously suffered a dreadful health incident unrelated to the crime. She changed her name, sold everything, bought a van and hit the road for America's outback.

I, too, love Frances McDormand. Here's a review that appeared in yesterday's New York Times. Maybe you've already read it, but here goes:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/18/m...section=Movies

Old 02-20-2021, 08:50 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,560,015 times
there is a review in yesterday WSJ as well,would try to watch on Hulu soon.
Years ago I read about folks who go to work for AMZN every Xmas season ,make friends,make money etc,but in reality it is not as glamourous.
Stories about elderly who can no longer afford a home and live in a van,if they have SS,cant they rent a room?
In some cities,like New Orleans,they turn old hotels into rental property,rent each room out and a phone booth in the hallway.
Most do not care to cook,so they keep a microwave oven in their room,a coffee maker for morning Joe,a TV set,thats all they need,heating,A/C are all included,no lawn to mown .

Old 02-20-2021, 06:24 PM

4,352 posts, read 4,742,792 times
It was fantastic and I think it’s probably her best role ever.

Old 02-21-2021, 04:11 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,272,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
there is a review in yesterday WSJ as well,would try to watch on Hulu soon.
Years ago I read about folks who go to work for AMZN every Xmas season ,make friends,make money etc,but in reality it is not as glamourous.
Stories about elderly who can no longer afford a home and live in a van,if they have SS,cant they rent a room?
In some cities,like New Orleans,they turn old hotels into rental property,rent each room out and a phone booth in the hallway.
Most do not care to cook,so they keep a microwave oven in their room,a coffee maker for morning Joe,a TV set,thats all they need,heating,A/C are all included,no lawn to mown .

Do some research as to why then come back.
Some are retirees with minimum SS. Met one of those a few years ago in WY, living on minimum SS, acting as a host in a Forest Campground. Did a fantastic job as a host and she actually loved the job. Summer in the northern states, then made her way south to AZ, NM area.

Some are young workers in areas where the cost of living is too high to rent but surrounded by federal lands, so they camp for free in dispersed areas (example; Moab UT). When I lived in Moab, I met some of those.

They were college students that came to Moab to work at outfitters during summer months or in the local tourist stores, but no way could they afford to rent in the Moab area so they had small trailers, tents, vans and live on primarily BLM lands in the area. Had to legally move every 14 days, 30 miles away, but in that area very easy to move and find more dispersed areas to camp, and then back to the first site. (And the local BLM rangers...ONLY TWO FOR 1.8 MILLION ACRES...never really enforced the 14 day rule if no complaints and many cases, the rangers never went that far back into the back country).

Many are people who just do not want to be stationary so they keep moving and some are still working from their trailer, motorohome, etc. Have a friend who is doing that as I type this; he is renting out both of his homes and is on the road for two years in his trailer with his dog.

Old 02-21-2021, 05:38 AM

7,398 posts, read 5,511,401 times
I thought it was a really good movie. Frances McDormand does a great job in it.

Old 02-21-2021, 08:50 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,605,099 times
I thought it was a really good movie. Beautiful scenery and, of course, Frances McDormand. It makes you think about different ways of life; poverty; individualism; etc.

At first I was a little depressed after it but then I realized . . this is what she wanted.

Old 02-21-2021, 10:24 AM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 14 days ago)

16,120 posts, read 21,263,056 times
I didn't care for it. A seemingly discontented woman looking for something she doesn't find, yet she doesn't really break free of the treadmill she's on to search for it.

Old 02-21-2021, 01:53 PM

1,443 posts, read 741,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I didn't care for it. A seemingly discontented woman looking for something she doesn't find, yet she doesn't really break free of the treadmill she's on to search for it.
Were we watching the same movie? to me she did find it, she was reluctant to go full in to that lifestyle. by the end she chose that life even though she had an opportunity to go back to a normal life.

Old 02-21-2021, 04:29 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 14 days ago)

16,120 posts, read 21,263,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileSauceCritic View Post
Were we watching the same movie? to me she did find it, she was reluctant to go full in to that lifestyle. by the end she chose that life even though she had an opportunity to go back to a normal life.
IMO the movie made a point of making sure the viewer knew she didn't want an ordinary life, through the conversation and invitation from her sister, through the visit and the invitation from her friend. She wasn't looking for an opportunity for a 'normal' life. She didn't want it. Yet she never fully embraced a nomad lifestyle either, she stayed with the security of returning to the same jobs and the same people over again. For someone whose sister says she left home at the first opportunity she still seemed like a tethered soul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV