Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 01:47 PM

17,616 posts, read 15,317,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Y'all know what's next right? Charlie Brown has to go.
I mean we have bullying and physical abuse of Charlie Brown by Violet and Lucy. Pigpen, well I mean his nickname IS pigpen and the other kids make fun of how dirty he is, SO very not PC. And sexual harassment, wow, Lucy harasses Beethoven, Sally harasses Linus, Peppermint Patty harasses Charlie Brown and even Snoopy gets in on it by giving Lucy an unwanted wet one on the lips! Is it ok to trivialize mental health issues with a running gag about a psychiatrist booth? Maybe we are encouraging parental neglect too, I mean why are these little kids trick or treating without adult supervision, wearing costumes that are offensive, and out alone in a random pumpkin patch late at night? Gosh, I just find the whole thing really problematic!

I like that.

But.. Let's argue the other side. The Psychiatric booth encourages good mental health rather than stigmatizing it. And Marcy of course is one of the pioneers in the LGBTQ community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2021, 01:56 PM

10,819 posts, read 4,372,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I like author Neil Gaiman's suggestion that whenever you see the term "politically correct" replace it with "treating others with respect." Can you go too far by treating others with respect? Or by looking at issues from the perspective of people who aren't like you?
But how do you prove how many people have a problem with Pepe Le Pew?
If its only a small fraction of America, then by cancelling the skunk you'd be disrespecting most of America.....and disrespecting the skunk's creator too....

Old 03-11-2021, 03:14 PM

2,559 posts, read 2,224,087 times
Physical and verbal abuse? Watching a "Three Stooges" episode would render some people positively apoplectic

Old 03-11-2021, 03:45 PM

8,784 posts, read 5,083,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Tom and Jerry is violent, so is Sylvester and Tweety, the Roadrunner and the Coyote, Ralph the Sheepdog, and pretty much any cartoon ever made that has a good guy and a bad guy. I can't understand wanting to sanitize every single aspect of life to the point where we simply pretend that bad things never happen, they don't exist. I honestly feel like that's worse for children than it is to expose them to make believe cartoon violence or scary fairy tales.
What about The Three Stooges.....that is stupid violence, but violence just the same.

Old 03-11-2021, 07:49 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,043,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Not exactly. They are choosing to no longer books that many deem to have offensive content by today's standards. That is their right, and it isn't censorship. It would be censorship if someone were forcing them not to publish. That ain't the case here.
Nope, all they are doing is trying to appease those against Dr. Seuss by claiming to no longer publish certain books due to racism. If it was really just about the racist undertones of the books, there are more popular books that should have been included on that list. You'll never hear of them not publishing The Cat in the Hat. Instead, they throw some old outdated books under the bus to try and get some good press. They were already dropped from the NEA's Read Across America Week a few years ago, and there has been growing concern over the years about teaching Dr. Seuss in schools. There are better books out there. There were plenty of "read this book in place of this Dr Seuss book" circulating around Facebook teacher groups over the last several weeks leading up to Read Across America Week.

Besides, when was the last time you saw The Cat Quizzer, Scrambled Eggs Supper, On Beyond Zebra, or McElligot’s Pool featured in a Dr. Seuss book display? I couldn't even begin to tell you what the covers of any of those books look like. I don't even know what the cover of Mulberry Street looks like, because again it's not a popular Dr. Seuss book. I only know what the cover of "If I Ran A Zoo" since it's been featured in every news story about Dr. Seuss over the past week. And when I saw it, my first thought was "Is that really the cover?! Thats creepy looking".

Old 03-11-2021, 08:04 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,043,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
IYou mentioned books, so let's stick with books. I'm not asking Random House to always publish some book they own the rights to. Take some book that's almost certainly never going to be republished. We have the technology now for that book to be scanned, stored digitally, and be available to anyone who wants to read it at negligible cost when you consider that you are preserving our culture.
What culture are you trying to preserve by exposing children to racist/sexist caricatures and ideas?

And don't worry, there are digital copies of these books. There are also plenty of readings of these books on YouTube. You can go read or listen to the book right now, or whenever you want! So if the ideas presented in these books and Pepe La Pew shorts are what make up your culture, don't worry. They're all out there for you to access and enjoy whenever you want. They're not going away any time soon.

Old 03-11-2021, 11:00 PM

50,917 posts, read 24,424,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
What culture are you trying to preserve by exposing children to racist/sexist caricatures and ideas?

And don't worry, there are digital copies of these books. There are also plenty of readings of these books on YouTube. You can go read or listen to the book right now, or whenever you want! So if the ideas presented in these books and Pepe La Pew shorts are what make up your culture, don't worry. They're all out there for you to access and enjoy whenever you want. They're not going away any time soon.
I wasn't specifically talking about children's books. I'm just talking about books.

The history of American culture isn't all pretty. And no one should believe it has been.

Old 03-12-2021, 04:32 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,610,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Physical and verbal abuse? Watching a "Three Stooges" episode would render some people positively apoplectic

I never, ever liked The Three Stooges; couldn't stand watching it for more than a minute or two. I also, as a young child, found circus clowns rather horrifying.

However, it never occurred to me to demand their cancellation or that the Three Stooges or circus clowns would cause violent behavior in their viewers. (just creepiness in Stephen King's It, I suppose; and my own refusal to return to view a circus until I was in high school or college or later)

Old 03-12-2021, 07:19 AM

16,080 posts, read 21,189,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I like that.

But.. Let's argue the other side. The Psychiatric booth encourages good mental health rather than stigmatizing it. And Marcy of course is one of the pioneers in the LGBTQ community.
Nah, the game is that you have to find offense, even in things that aren't offensive, spin it baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Look beyond politics, political parties, or buzzwords like "woke" or "cancel culture."

Look at the images being presented to children.

In the cartoons, a male has a liking to a female. The male makes sexual advances. The female rebuffs those advances. The male disregards the female's rejections and FORCES himself on the female.

This is what is being shown to children. Are we going to ignore the messages being sent to boys? That is is there right to force their advances onto females? Isn't this how our culture came up with the adage "boys will be boys?" ALL the while, the female involved feels violated and may suffer after effects.
So what message are we sending to little girls when they see Sally repeatedly stalking Linus, calling him her boyfriend and her 'sweet baboo' when he clearly doesn't want her attention? Where are we going to draw the lines in the cartoon sand?

Old 03-12-2021, 07:35 AM

387 posts, read 353,039 times
Pepe is not the cause for women being raped.

GTA is not the cause for school shootings or violence.

I can go on and on.

Don't like something? Don't watch it. Don't play it. Don't allow your kids to play it. Why does it have to be so difficult? If I can watch something and separate it from reality, why can't I? If 90% can do so, but 10% don't like it, how is that fair? I have no problem with people finding things uncomfortable, or even being offended by things. That is part of what SHOULD make this country great...we can all have our opinions and beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV