Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 12:53 PM

11,201 posts, read 9,101,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
First they came for Mr. Potato Head, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not Mr. Potato Head.

Then they came for the Muppet Show, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not on the Muppet Show

Then they came for the Dr. Seuss, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Dr. Seuss.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

With apologies to Lutheran pastor Martin Niemöller.
what in the name of ...... (LOL)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2021, 09:05 AM

9,825 posts, read 11,571,156 times
Pepe Le Pew did Push the Envelop, even for the time period.

:50 sec mark on is not Ok, Very, Very Funny, but definitely not ok.There are some episodes that are way worst than this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svZdNI8aQns

Old 03-08-2021, 09:15 AM

16,080 posts, read 21,192,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Pepe Le Pew did Push the Envelop, even for the time period.

:50 sec mark on is not Ok, Very, Very Funny, but definitely not ok.There are some episodes that are way worst than this one.
Sorry but could you explain your thoughts? I don't understand what's funny but not ok about a misquote from a Tennyson poem?
Also pointing out that back in the day 'making love' most certainly did not mean sexual intercourse, it basically meant 'courting'.

Old 03-08-2021, 09:28 AM

22,934 posts, read 28,318,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Very, Very Funny, but definitely not ok.
That is the entire point of Pepe LePew. And Wylie Coyote. And Yosemite Sam. And Johnny Bravo. And Beavis and Butthead. The behavior is not okay. That is the entire basis of why it is funny.

Why is this so difficult to understand?

Old 03-08-2021, 09:34 AM

29,758 posts, read 34,449,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Sorry but could you explain your thoughts? I don't understand what's funny but not ok about a misquote from a Tennyson poem?
Also pointing out that back in the day 'making love' most certainly did not mean sexual intercourse, it basically meant 'courting'.
As a woman, I watch the Pepe Le Pew cartoon, and see a fake cartoon cat in distress, trying to get away, and Pepe continuing to pursue her and calling her a "flirt" as she looks miserable. It hits close to home (not just for me, for a lot of women who've put up with a lot of crap) and it's not really funny. It's uncomfortable to watch.

Old 03-08-2021, 09:42 AM

16,080 posts, read 21,192,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
As a woman, I watch the Pepe Le Pew cartoon, and see a fake cartoon cat in distress, trying to get away, and Pepe continuing to pursue her and calling her a "flirt" as she looks miserable. It hits close to home (not just for me, for a lot of women who've put up with a lot of crap) and it's not really funny.
As a woman? As a woman I see a situation that sometimes reflects real life, in a cartoonish way to be sure, but we all know that there are situations and people like this whether we want/approve of them or not. I'm all for putting a content warning if that's what's necessary, but trying to whitewash things away doesn't sit well with me.

Old 03-09-2021, 11:22 AM

5,115 posts, read 2,059,318 times
There's an other detail who come to my mind is would that columnist will be offended by Fifi La Fume from the cartoon Tiny Toons?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhPuTcZRuFM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrweRzaAXtA

Old 03-09-2021, 06:08 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,906,118 times
I always found Pepe le Pew pretty cringey. Even as a kid.

Probably because of the stink.

Old 03-09-2021, 07:33 PM

50,927 posts, read 24,432,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
"They" didn't come for Dr. Seuss or Looney Tunes. The companies that owned the rights to this content made the decision themselves to withdraw or adjust the distribution of their own materials, which is their right to do.

Allowing racist or sexist content that no longer fits our societal mores to be newly published and available without comment is not where responsible companies want to be.
I'm goint to disagree with you here.

I don't believe in censoring our culture. Should we censor our museums? Censor our history? I guess the companies who own the material have that legal right. I'm not sure they have that moral right.

Sorry, but I don't believe in book burners, either real or virtual.

Old 03-09-2021, 07:39 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,137,458 times
I knew they would get around to Pepe someday, being French has protected him for many decades, the left loves France very much so they looked the other way, but Pepe kept grabbing those poor felines. Even after counseling with Sexual Harassment Panda, he never seems to learn. Maybe they could make some new ones where Pepe gets raped in prison, because he loses a class action lawsuit initiated by all the cat ladies he assaulted.

French cartoon characters on American TV back in those days were never cast in a favorable light. They were often Bluto lumberjack roughneck types, or such in the case of Savoir-Faire, a thieving mouse who spends his life on the run from the long paw of the law, Klondike Kat. Pepe demonstrates how the French cannot control themselves sexually. I'm surprised they didn't whack Pepe before they wasted Speedy Gonzales, whom had a lot of good qualities. I think Slow Poke brought him down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV