Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 06:59 AM

5,113 posts, read 2,057,733 times

Advertisements

Last year, they said then Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam shouldn't wear guns and this year they told then it's Pepe Le Pew who contribute to rape culture.
https://www.rt.com/usa/517424-nyt-cancels-pepe-le-pew/

Quote:
NYT columnist Charles Blow and his critics are trading rhetorical blows after the writer made Looney Tunes character Pepe Le Pew the latest target of the cancel mob, arguing that the skunk "normalized rape culture."
"Right-wing blogs are mad because I said Pepe Le Pew added to rape culture," Blow wrote on Saturday, tweeting a scene from the Warner Bros. classic cartoon series. "Let's see, he grabs/kisses a girl/stranger repeatedly, without consent and against her will. She struggles mightily to get away from him, but he won't release her. He locks a door to prevent her from escaping."
I think Charles Blow might not like Johnny Bravo either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-PddOzKwOU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2021, 07:20 AM

107 posts, read 60,876 times
This is what's wrong with America. To think that time is being used for things like what is described in the OP. People need to realize they have limited time on this Earth and they need to use it for something important rather than continually doing idiotic things to produce more "victim-minded" people.

Old 03-07-2021, 08:25 AM

16,080 posts, read 21,184,726 times
Tom and Jerry is violent, so is Sylvester and Tweety, the Roadrunner and the Coyote, Ralph the Sheepdog, and pretty much any cartoon ever made that has a good guy and a bad guy. I can't understand wanting to sanitize every single aspect of life to the point where we simply pretend that bad things never happen, they don't exist. I honestly feel like that's worse for children than it is to expose them to make believe cartoon violence or scary fairy tales.

Old 03-07-2021, 08:50 AM

2,559 posts, read 2,223,582 times
I guess this is what happens when you run out of things to grasp for. Seriously, cartoons?

Old 03-07-2021, 09:00 AM

3,280 posts, read 1,761,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
I guess this is what happens when you run out of things to grasp for. Seriously, cartoons?
First they came for Dr. Seuss. Then they came for Looney Tunes... Enough already !

Old 03-07-2021, 09:40 AM

9,209 posts, read 6,237,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
First they came for Dr. Seuss. Then they came for Looney Tunes... Enough already !
First they came for Mr. Potato Head, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not Mr. Potato Head.

Then they came for the Muppet Show, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not on the Muppet Show

Then they came for the Dr. Seuss, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Dr. Seuss.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

With apologies to Lutheran pastor Martin Niemöller.

Old 03-07-2021, 09:50 AM

29,755 posts, read 34,439,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
"They" didn't come for Dr. Seuss or Looney Tunes. The companies that owned the rights to this content made the decision themselves to withdraw or adjust the distribution of their own materials, which is their right to do.

Allowing racist or sexist content that no longer fits our societal mores to be newly published and available without comment is not where responsible companies want to be.

Old 03-07-2021, 11:02 AM

19,731 posts, read 10,150,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
"They" didn't come for Dr. Seuss or Looney Tunes. The companies that owned the rights to this content made the decision themselves to withdraw or adjust the distribution of their own materials, which is their right to do.

Allowing racist or sexist content that no longer fits our societal mores to be newly published and available without comment is not where responsible companies want to be.
PC has gone too far.

Old 03-07-2021, 11:24 AM

29,755 posts, read 34,439,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
PC has gone too far.
I like author Neil Gaiman's suggestion that whenever you see the term "politically correct" replace it with "treating others with respect." Can you go too far by treating others with respect? Or by looking at issues from the perspective of people who aren't like you?

Old 03-07-2021, 11:50 AM

9,209 posts, read 6,237,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I like author Neil Gaiman's suggestion that whenever you see the term "politically correct" replace it with "treating others with respect." Can you go too far by treating others with respect? Or by looking at issues from the perspective of people who aren't like you?
Was changing Mr. Potato Head to Potato Head treating potatoes with any more respect than before?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV