Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 03:50 PM

9,830 posts, read 11,604,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Y'all know what's next right? Charlie Brown has to go.
I mean we have bullying and physical abuse of Charlie Brown by Violet and Lucy. Pigpen, well I mean his nickname IS pigpen and the other kids make fun of how dirty he is, SO very not PC. And sexual harassment, wow, Lucy harasses Beethoven, Sally harasses Linus, Peppermint Patty harasses Charlie Brown and even Snoopy gets in on it by giving Lucy an unwanted wet one on the lips! Is it ok to trivialize mental health issues with a running gag about a psychiatrist booth? Maybe we are encouraging parental neglect too, I mean why are these little kids trick or treating without adult supervision, wearing costumes that are offensive, and out alone in a random pumpkin patch late at night? Gosh, I just find the whole thing really problematic!
Nope Charlie Brown TV show needs to be Canceled.
Let’s go over things.
Peppermint patty clearly and regularly cross the line with her, cheesy pick up lines, and her unwanted Advances to Chuck. That’s sexual Harassment people.
And what about Franklin?
Only black character on the show and dude is only had like 2 lines in 50 Plus years.
What about the parents?
The Parents let their kids wonder around the neighborhood getting into trouble, Clearly they should be locked up for Child endangerment at bare minimum.
How about that snide Lucy and her kissing booth, that imo is a cover for her Brothel. They should call her Madam Lucy.
Lucy also should be brought up on Assult Charges, did you see what she did to Charlie Brown at the football field the other day?
She’s lucky that Charlie doesn’t have his CCW yet or he could of used the, stand your ground law against that Thug Lucy.
Pssst.....You know Lucy doesn’t live in the Neighborhood, she buses in from intercity to the suburbs be because you know, the years underfunding schools, redlining and white flight have made Lucy’s home School a hell hole.

Please stop it with the “Left is coming after us” rants. See you over in the political Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2021, 07:14 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,571,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Look beyond politics, political parties, or buzzwords like "woke" or "cancel culture."

Look at the images being presented to children.

In the cartoons, a male has a liking to a female. The male makes sexual advances. The female rebuffs those advances. The male disregards the female's rejections and FORCES himself on the female.

This is what is being shown to children. Are we going to ignore the messages being sent to boys? That is is there right to force their advances onto females? Isn't this how our culture came up with the adage "boys will be boys?" ALL the while, the female involved feels violated and may suffer after effects.
As a male kid in the 90s, I always thought the cat was fleeing a clueless skunk's bad smell. As a child then, the only thing I learned was to avoid a skunk at all cost because they smell and I would always side with the cat to escape. I can see how some warped kids would see toons as something to emulate but I understood the fantasy and entertainment aspect of it in elementary on forward.

Old 03-13-2021, 12:41 AM

1,327 posts, read 2,612,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Just thinking a little more about the French angle with Pepe and other French characters. The Inspector comes to mind with the crime fighting angle, The Inspector was based off the Pink Panther movies, the only way the Inspector solves any crimes is by accident, he bungles everything. We Americans have Batman & Robin, Wonder Woman, Underdog, Superman, GI Joe. England has Scotland Yard, Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson, James Bond. Canada has the Canadian Royal Mounted Police, France has Inspector Clouseau, lol. Then there's the whole Jerry Lewis thing which I won't get into here, but he's almost a cartoon character and much beloved in France, does anyone have any more plaster of Paris to add to the pile? Savoir-Faire is EVERYWHERE !
As a French, I have never heard of Jerry Lewis until I went to forums with American members, I don't understand the "much beloved in France" stereotype.. He is pretty much unknown in France.

There is nothing espeically French about all those characters.
Pepe Le Pew is an American cartoon, Pink panther is an American movie serie (very old one).
It would like been viewing an American character in a soviet movie or cartoon from cold war.
It actually says more about the view of Americans on the world than on the French.

Old 03-13-2021, 02:35 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,271,463 times
DO NOT care what some moron reporter says. I grew up watching and at 73 I never had the inclination to rape a woman (or maybe in this day-and-age of strangeness, a man)

It's not in the cartoon, it's not in a movie, it is how your parent(s) raised you!

Old 03-13-2021, 06:04 AM

6,935 posts, read 3,982,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I always found Pepe le Pew pretty cringey. Even as a kid.

Probably because of the stink.
I found him annoying as well. My favorite LT cartoons were ALWAYS the Bugs Bunny ones. So glad MeTV is showing them on Saturday mornings now.

Old 03-13-2021, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Well yeah. Maybe some of us do. Some of us were molested as children. Some of us had this particular cartoon bring it home to us, that some of us are helpless to stronger folks, but it's just normal, and we should just get used to it, and boundaries don't mean a damn thing.
All of this, plus I just found those cartoons boring. Same thing, over and over and over. If I never see another one, I won't be wringing my hands over it!

Messing with the Muppets, OTOH, them's fighting words!! That was NEVER a kid's show, but watching it as a kid gave me the sardonic sense of humor I've carried all these years. Jim Henson was always aiming for an older audience, going all the way back to Sam & Friends back in the 1950's.

Old 03-13-2021, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
How is no longer printing unpopular books censorship? You can still buy any of the Dr Seuss books or borrow them from the library. Nobody is keeping you from reading the books. The publisher is just choosing to longer print books that aren't profitable.
The discontinued books are impossible to find, as I understand. They've been snapped up on Amazon, etc. Instant collector's items, and will undoubtedly be removed from libraries as well.

Old 03-13-2021, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It depends on where it goes.

For example, where exactly can I go to view the film "Song Of The South"? It appears to me that Disney has totally censored that film. I can't buy it. I can't rent it. I can't stream it. Where is it available (except perhaps through some old bootleg copy)?
I just bought a copy of SOTS on DVD last fall, so you CAN get a copy of it. Played just fine on both DVD players I've played it on. Gave it to my dad, because he's been trying to find a copy of it for years.

Old 03-13-2021, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
The original Muppet Show wasn't for children either. The pilot was called https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mu...x_and_Violence
Sex and Violence, and meant for an adult audience.
People don't realize the Muppets were also making appearances on SNL back in the day. Jim Henson was definitely aiming for an adult audience, going back to his earliest work.

EXCELLENT documentary on him, with a lot of clips from his earliest TV work -

https://youtu.be/dEWB0zuZvlI

Old 03-13-2021, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Physical and verbal abuse? Watching a "Three Stooges" episode would render some people positively apoplectic
Or the Marx Brothers. Harpo's skirt chasing, Groucho's encounters with Margaret Dumont...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV