Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 06:19 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,268,441 times

Advertisements

I find it bizarre enough that so many Brits devote so many hours to minding the business of the royals. When Americans do it, it's downright baffling.

Seriously asking: Why do you even care? You're never going to meet these two people. Nothing they do is ever going to affect your life in any way. Why do you spend an ounce of brain energy watching this stuff?

Old 03-08-2021, 06:22 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,534 times
I didn't see it as Meghan complaining about lack of privacy though. I thought she was talking about the impossibly high expectations she had to deliver without any training or guidance or even a shred of empathy from the Royal family; and then when she was picked apart mercilessly, nobody from the Royal family tried to defend her or protect her. Diana was complaining about the same thing - she actually attempted suicide by throwing herself down the stairs when she was pregnant (can't recall if it was with Harry or William) - and Diana came from noble family who's part of the Queen's inner circle. So if someone from the Queen's inner circle like Diana was totally unprepared for the reality of Royal life, the idea that Meghan had no idea what she signed up for, this girl from LA who's as far from Noble family as can be, is definitely not far fetched to me.

I thought the two of them came across as incredibly naïve. Harry for believing that his father would support his decision (when knowing full well his father chose divorce over standing by Diana's side - but then Harry was a child and at boarding school at the time so he probably was insulated from all his parents' drama). Meghan, for believing everything would be smooth-sailing.

In her shoe, I would totally ask my husband to choose: our family or your toxic family. That's really what it boils down to, for Harry. I applaud him for standing up for his wife, when nobody else in his family would. In a toxic relationship, your only choice is to walk away.

Old 03-08-2021, 06:30 AM

6,450 posts, read 9,812,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
If that were really true why are they giving interviews every 10 seconds. No Megan thought she would be able to use the press to force the monarchy to do what she wanted.

Nice Mee - gan, but we are as stupid as you think we are.
Speak for yourself. I don't think most of us are that stupid.

Old 03-08-2021, 06:30 AM

9,530 posts, read 16,515,499 times
I'm only hearing any of this interview because its on the morning news. It's not something I would be sitting down ,and watching their interview with Oprah. I'm sorry for all their family troubles, but its none of my business. I don't really have any interest in it. I will say I don't understand why anyone, that wants privacy would sit down with Oprah. Of course the money I assume they are receiving for the interview, must be an incentive to do it. This is all just gossip and a media frenzy. I don't find it a story that deserves all this coverage. The entire news this morning on CBS is interviewing Oprah about the interview. Harry and Megan would be better off to just tell everyone its our life F off. This isn't doing anyone involved any good. Certainly not his aged grandparents. The whole thing is really very sad, but not surprising. It seems to be a rather messed up family for many years. Perhaps the days of a Royal Family in the UK is coming to a somewhat end.

Old 03-08-2021, 06:32 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
I think Harry and Meghan did the right thing and I wish them well. Yes, I know she's an actress but everything she said seemed so sincere. After this interview I have to wonder how William's wife Kate has handled her duties. To have your keys, car, passport, etc. taken away and not be allowed to see a psychiatrist when you are feeling suicidal is just horrible.

And the royal family's concern about Archie's skin color? Deplorable! Isn't he only like 1/4th African American? And looking at Meghan I would never even think she had any African American in her. They may be royal but they're ignorant and racist.

Old 03-08-2021, 06:36 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times
IMO Meghan saw herself as being the darling of the Royal Family and more fame and attention. Instead, with her celebrity attitude and lack of respect, she found herself without the attention she felt she deserved. After the insinuation of the Royals being racists, she lost all credibility. Tired of people using racism as a crutch and wanting others to feel their pain.

Old 03-08-2021, 06:37 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,086 times
Edward VIII gave up being the king for the woman he loved and lived out a sad, isolated life. With social media and Oprah as his friend, Harry will remain in the public eye and not be ostracized like Edward. Harry is on the same downward spiral as Edward though. It will take him longer to realize it with the media giving the illusion of relevance. Harry has given up his title with no way back. Edward also believed for a while that he could have it all until reality set in.

Last edited by jean_ji; 03-08-2021 at 07:08 AM..

Old 03-08-2021, 06:47 AM

9,877 posts, read 7,207,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
I didn't see it as Meghan complaining about lack of privacy though. I thought she was talking about the impossibly high expectations she had to deliver without any training or guidance or even a shred of empathy from the Royal family; and then when she was picked apart mercilessly, nobody from the Royal family tried to defend her or protect her. Diana was complaining about the same thing - she actually attempted suicide by throwing herself down the stairs when she was pregnant (can't recall if it was with Harry or William) - and Diana came from noble family who's part of the Queen's inner circle. So if someone from the Queen's inner circle like Diana was totally unprepared for the reality of Royal life, the idea that Meghan had no idea what she signed up for, this girl from LA who's as far from Noble family as can be, is definitely not far fetched to me.

I thought the two of them came across as incredibly naïve. Harry for believing that his father would support his decision (when knowing full well his father chose divorce over standing by Diana's side - but then Harry was a child and at boarding school at the time so he probably was insulated from all his parents' drama). Meghan, for believing everything would be smooth-sailing.

In her shoe, I would totally ask my husband to choose: our family or your toxic family. That's really what it boils down to, for Harry. I applaud him for standing up for his wife, when nobody else in his family would. In a toxic relationship, your only choice is to walk away.
I think the important part was that she was told she would be protected and when it came down to it, she wasn't.

IMHO, she was a bit naïve as Harry is 6th in line to the throne and she probably expected a bit more freedom than William and Kate. Then asked to not be senior members - sort of the life that Beatrice and Eugenie have. They get trotted out on occasion when needed.

As for being cut off - Sarah Ferguson still lives in a royal home and gets UKP15K annually from the royal coffer. At least Harry and Meghan were working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I think Harry and Meghan did the right thing and I wish them well. Yes, I know she's an actress but everything she said seemed so sincere. After this interview I have to wonder how William's wife Kate has handled her duties. To have your keys, car, passport, etc. taken away and not be allowed to see a psychiatrist when you are feeling suicidal is just horrible.

And the royal family's concern about Archie's skin color? Deplorable! Isn't he only like 1/4th African American? And looking at Meghan I would never even think she had any African American in her. They may be royal but they're ignorant and racist.
Archie's skin color was silly. He'd be 1/4 black, 1/4 white, and 1/2 ghost. What did they expect?

Old 03-08-2021, 07:06 AM

16,069 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I find it bizarre enough that so many Brits devote so many hours to minding the business of the royals. When Americans do it, it's downright baffling.

Seriously asking: Why do you even care? You're never going to meet these two people. Nothing they do is ever going to affect your life in any way. Why do you spend an ounce of brain energy watching this stuff?
Meh, the same reason we watch shows about serial killers, child prodigies, the immensely rich, and/or anyone else who lives a life we'll never be familiar with? Part entertainment, part desire to understand the how and what of what makes those people tick.

Old 03-08-2021, 07:18 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
A spoiled Narcissistic rich entitled celebrity oh boo hoo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV