Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2023, 01:05 AM

4,884 posts, read 5,020,498 times

Advertisements

Raylan is still Raylan, but the new guy doesn't measure up to Boyd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2023, 05:09 AM

4,877 posts, read 3,299,846 times
Let's give the new guy a chance. Goggins set the bar pretty high... but he had a lot more than 2 episodes.

Old 07-22-2023, 11:41 AM

7,386 posts, read 12,687,921 times
I miss the Big Stupid Baby Head . I'm hoping for a couple of cameos, but I'm also willing to give the new guy a chance.Timothy himself seems to have just put on the new hat and transmographied himself into Raylan, no effort.

Old 07-22-2023, 07:07 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,052,604 times
Just because the character Raylan Givens is in it, doesn't make it Justified. Just what we need, yet another big city crime show with an obnoxious kid and a bunch of punk criminals all tied up with a diversity ribbon. Just watched the first episode and I'm done.

Old 07-28-2023, 05:42 AM

5,014 posts, read 10,708,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Just because the character Raylan Givens is in it, doesn't make it Justified. Just what we need, yet another big city crime show with an obnoxious kid and a bunch of punk criminals all tied up with a diversity ribbon. Just watched the first episode and I'm done.
I agree. I will keep watching but I am not enjoying this reboot nearly as much as the original.

Part of what made Justified such a great show was the use of the location and its culture in the storylines as well as the fact that the main character had not only returned to his home town but, also, had to police family, friends and romantic interests.

There’s very little of these murky ethical gray areas in this sequel. Rather, the sequel offers an older, subdued version of Raylan in an urban location (that he has no connection to but, as you pointed out, enables the show to be more “diverseâ€) contending with a teenage daughter and a psychopath and his accomplices. I am glad that the latest episode has introduced a foreign mob element but none of these plot lines is anything we haven’t already seen on other shows. Not to mention that a good show doesn’t need so much convolution.

Old 07-28-2023, 06:07 AM

22,931 posts, read 28,306,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Part of what made Justified such a great show was the use of the location and its culture in the storylines as well as the fact that the main character had not only returned to his home town but, also, had to police family, friends and romantic interests.
Agreed. I still haven't started the new series because I have been re-watching the original. It made great use of the people, culture, politics, etc. of eastern Kentucky. It was a great setting that I had never seen on TV before. That said, now that I am rewatching ...

The pilot episode (filmed in western Pennsylvania) actually did a pretty good job standing in for eastern Kentucky. The rest of the series? Not so much. Although it's obvious the producers really tried to mimic Kentucky, it is really glaringly obvious in most scenes that it was shot in southern California.

About Detroit though? I got no objections. Detroit is a sitting with a great culture and history (both good and bad) that I am surprised we don't see more of on TV and movies. I'd certainly rather see more shows set in Detroit than yet another show set in L.A., Chicago, or New York. And don't forget that other than Florida, most of Elmore Leonard's best books were set in and around Detroit.

Old 07-29-2023, 11:47 AM

7,386 posts, read 12,687,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Agreed. I still haven't started the new series because I have been re-watching the original. It made great use of the people, culture, politics, etc. of eastern Kentucky. It was a great setting that I had never seen on TV before. That said, now that I am rewatching ...

The pilot episode (filmed in western Pennsylvania) actually did a pretty good job standing in for eastern Kentucky. The rest of the series? Not so much. Although it's obvious the producers really tried to mimic Kentucky, it is really glaringly obvious in most scenes that it was shot in southern California.

About Detroit though? I got no objections. Detroit is a sitting with a great culture and history (both good and bad) that I am surprised we don't see more of on TV and movies. I'd certainly rather see more shows set in Detroit than yet another show set in L.A., Chicago, or New York. And don't forget that other than Florida, most of Elmore Leonard's best books were set in and around Detroit.
What? You mean Harlan Ct doesn't look like Santa Clarita? Some scenes were filmed in exactly the same locations as NCIS, so we were wondering if Raylan was going to run into Jethro Gibbs finding bodies in the woods...

The current Justified series is indeed based on one of EL's books about Detroit, and they've just added Raylan. I can't remember the title offhand, but it is listed in the credits.

Old 07-29-2023, 03:24 PM

12,393 posts, read 8,173,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
What? You mean Harlan Ct doesn't look like Santa Clarita? Some scenes were filmed in exactly the same locations as NCIS, so we were wondering if Raylan was going to run into Jethro Gibbs finding bodies in the woods...

The current Justified series is indeed based on one of EL's books about Detroit, and they've just added Raylan. I can't remember the title offhand, but it is listed in the credits.
City Primeval. Substituting Deputy Givens for a Afro-Latino Detective Cruz is a move that I thought Hollywood wouldn't do anymore

Old 08-04-2023, 08:00 AM

4,877 posts, read 3,299,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Let's give the new guy a chance. Goggins set the bar pretty high... but he had a lot more than 2 episodes.

New guy's had a fair chance now. It's certainly not anywhere near as good as the original.

Old 08-04-2023, 09:16 AM

22,931 posts, read 28,306,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
New guy's had a fair chance now. It's certainly not anywhere near as good as the original.
To be fair, that is quite a high hurdle to leap. Boyd Crowder is without a doubt one of the best TV villain's of all time. He was so good that really I even hesitated to call him the "villain." Definitely an anti-hero. Even my wife remarked, "You know, in most of these episodes, I actually like Boyd more than Raylan."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV