Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 02:30 PM

4,063 posts, read 2,146,666 times

Advertisements

Watched it on Hulu. First episode. Liked it. Actress playing Jeannette was very convincing in the three years. Will definitely keep my interest for the limited number of episodes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2021, 07:28 AM

2,741 posts, read 1,347,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Just watched episode 4..

Flashbacks seemed less frequent & disorienting in this episode. But another flaw (my opinion) is that they're not moving the essential question any closer to being answered. Was Kate seen in captivity (?) If they draw out that central mystery too long, I think the intrigue will fade & the show's gonna meander & get boring..
I think they did a better job witg the flashbacks too. The 1995 scenes had a darker background. And you can tell by Kate's hair!

I'm afraid that they are going to stall on the mystery. They are developing side stories for other characters, which could get boring and take away from the mystery.

Old 05-10-2021, 07:31 PM

12,787 posts, read 15,014,175 times
I don't really care for the multiple flashbacks either...a few OK, but not multiple ones throughout each episode, but I still like the show overall. It's easy to tell which year it is regarding the main character:

1993 - crimped hair
1994 - straight hair
1995 - short hair (& you can tell she's wearing a wig)

Old 05-12-2021, 01:05 PM

3,741 posts, read 2,571,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extraction View Post
1995 scenes had darker background..

I'm afraid that they are going to stall on the mystery. They are developing side stories for other characters, which could get boring and take away from the mystery.
yeah, I thought episode 5 (carnival episode) was lame, because it basically had no value answering the relevant question (was Kate seen in captivity ?)
Show is really meandering with irrelevant sidebars.
Something I do appreciate, and I may be reading in to something that isn't intended. The show is doing a good job progressing the cynicism & gloominess of Generation X. I know the characters here are being warped by direct personal trauma. But I remember a lot of kids mirroring the (style & attitude) changes of Kate & Jeanette back in the 90s. I wonder if the show is making a broader comment on how teen culture changed/darkened thru the 90s

Old 05-14-2021, 04:41 PM

12,787 posts, read 15,014,175 times
I know 1 thing, the main actress' quivering bottom lip is getting on my nerves, ha!

Old 06-09-2021, 03:26 AM

693 posts, read 1,503,343 times
I'm surprised this thread doesn't have more posts in it. Cruel Summer is an amazing show! I love the 90's and all the music! It brings me back to my childhood. Plus, it's in Texas and I live in Texas so that's cool. The going back and forth between the 3 years does get a little annoying and confusing sometimes. Overall, it's a great show! I hope we get a 2nd season. Not sure what the 2nd season would be about unless it goes more into the story but we're almost to the end of it.

Old 06-09-2021, 03:36 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,039,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmusicgal View Post
I'm surprised this thread doesn't have more posts in it. Cruel Summer is an amazing show! I love the 90's and all the music! It brings me back to my childhood. Plus, it's in Texas and I live in Texas so that's cool. The going back and forth between the 3 years does get a little annoying and confusing sometimes. Overall, it's a great show! I hope we get a 2nd season. Not sure what the 2nd season would be about unless it goes more into the story but we're almost to the end of it.
I've found the story line to be pretty boring. I was going to give up on the show after last weeks episode was another week of no new information to move the story forward. I looked it up and saw that there are only 2 episodes left, so figured I'd stick it out till the end of this season.

This week's episode was much better since we finally found out some information. But I don't find any of the characters very likeable. Mallory is the worst of them. I can't stand any of the scenes she is in. Harley Quinn Smith is not a good actor... But hey, I guess that's Hollywood nepotism for you.

Old 06-09-2021, 09:48 PM

3,741 posts, read 2,571,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I was going to give up on the show after last weeks episode was another week of no new information to move the story forward.

This week's episode was much better since we finally found out some information.
Amen. They finally come back to the relevant intrigue.. what really happened to Kate, and what did Jeanette know (?)
Episode 9 gave a lot of insight into Kate's experience, so I thought it was both entertaining & important (with good tension also).

Old 06-10-2021, 08:07 AM

2,741 posts, read 1,347,264 times
I'm still watching it. I hope that the next episode wraps things up. I don't want another season of this story. Maybe there are some other cruel summer stories out there!

Old 06-10-2021, 08:10 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,261,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extraction View Post
I'm still watching it. I hope that the next episode wraps things up. I don't want another season of this story. Maybe there are some other cruel summer stories out there!
I like it. How are they ever going to wrap it up in next weeks finale? Too many open threads. Ill be unhappy if they end it with a cliff hanger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV