Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 01:12 PM

2,507 posts, read 3,262,984 times

Advertisements

You're missing the point. The MAGA people Ive met seem to be mentally dull, boorish clods who believe in ridiculous conspiracies and antisemitism. Capiche?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2021, 01:29 PM

19,775 posts, read 20,364,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I loved that show. I rewatched it recently, I forgot how depressing it was.
Sooooo emo

I remember when Party of Five came out, and they hit us with My So-Called Life at the same time. All this serious drama was pretty heavy lol

Old 07-07-2021, 01:41 PM

2,925 posts, read 2,002,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
You're missing the point. The MAGA people Ive met seem to be mentally dull, boorish clods who believe in ridiculous conspiracies and antisemitism. Capiche?
Looks like you are the one missing the point Waterboy, or is it Waterhead? This isn't the Politics forum, take your nonsense elsewhere, goofball.

Old 07-07-2021, 03:12 PM

2,507 posts, read 3,262,984 times
Im sorry if I offended any sensitive snowflakes. LOL. If your screen name is MAGAlot, expect to take some ribbing. BTW, Trump lost the 2020 election.

Old 07-07-2021, 10:46 PM

10,907 posts, read 4,414,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
Im sorry if I offended any sensitive snowflakes. LOL. If your screen name is MAGAlot, expect to take some ribbing. BTW, Trump lost the 2020 election.
Who is the snowflake? You are still angry at Trump or Trump supporters....
Otherwise you wouldn't be obsessing over Trump supporters (who you know maybe 0.00001% of?) on a Party Of Five thread

Old 07-08-2021, 10:35 AM

23,651 posts, read 14,116,494 times
Have the series, well, half of it!.....in this case, because of a guilty conscience. That is, I taped it week after week, year after year, but never got really around to watching it. Now that I am dumping much of the tape library without bothering to purge a lot of it, I figured, in a moment of paranoia, that I ought to show my intentions were good......

.....if it ever came up to be questioned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
I think its more realistic than other shows because the characters in POF have a lot of mood swings, just as people do in real life........and there is not always an event to trigger the mood swing, it just happens.
Whereas other shows pigeonhole the characters too much and have one character known for being happy, one known for being angry, etc.
POF characters are harder to predict the reactions of........because their moods vary from episode to episode or within an episode.
Well, that brings up an interesting situation....and I am not quite sure where the answer should be.

First of all, very few people we see on TV in dramas and sitcoms are really that realistic. Why? Two main directions. First of all, they are not involved in watching TV at all. They live their life without being wrapped around it as so many of us often are. Of course, there is a reason for that in that the show would be quite boring if we had to watch them just watching TV.

Secondly, they often appear superhuman. How can, say, Nikita, look so perfect when she is going from mission to mission, being short on sleep, not eating regularly or properly all the time? Of course, the answer is we have to remember we are watching someone playing that part where the presentation of that part is not really, totally, what is happening to that body.

So what do we want in a TV character? Do we want someone who is realistic or someone we could escape our world by being in theirs? I don't know either way for it seems to be the ends of extreme where what we see on TV is everything happening all the time and we are watching it from our lives where it is like the White Guardian of Time in Doctor Who where the price for not doing a Quest for him is......Nothing. "Nothing will happen to you, Doctor, nothing at all........ever.".

Of course, in reality, things do happen to us at times but it rather reminds me of "I know what you did last summer" where Helen (SMG) Shivers' Dad is there watching the basketball game on TV, enjoying himself and to me, it struck me as an odd point of terror. Ie, "This is it? This is life where at the end of the day, this is what we work for, to be entertained like this?".

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 07-08-2021 at 10:53 AM..

Old 07-12-2021, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Have the series, well, half of it!.....in this case, because of a guilty conscience. That is, I taped it week after week, year after year, but never got really around to watching it. Now that I am dumping much of the tape library without bothering to purge a lot of it, I figured, in a moment of paranoia, that I ought to show my intentions were good......

.....if it ever came up to be questioned.

Well, that brings up an interesting situation....and I am not quite sure where the answer should be.

First of all, very few people we see on TV in dramas and sitcoms are really that realistic. Why? Two main directions. First of all, they are not involved in watching TV at all. They live their life without being wrapped around it as so many of us often are. Of course, there is a reason for that in that the show would be quite boring if we had to watch them just watching TV.

Secondly, they often appear superhuman. How can, say, Nikita, look so perfect when she is going from mission to mission, being short on sleep, not eating regularly or properly all the time? Of course, the answer is we have to remember we are watching someone playing that part where the presentation of that part is not really, totally, what is happening to that body.

So what do we want in a TV character? Do we want someone who is realistic or someone we could escape our world by being in theirs? I don't know either way for it seems to be the ends of extreme where what we see on TV is everything happening all the time and we are watching it from our lives where it is like the White Guardian of Time in Doctor Who where the price for not doing a Quest for him is......Nothing. "Nothing will happen to you, Doctor, nothing at all........ever.".

Of course, in reality, things do happen to us at times but it rather reminds me of "I know what you did last summer" where Helen (SMG) Shivers' Dad is there watching the basketball game on TV, enjoying himself and to me, it struck me as an odd point of terror. Ie, "This is it? This is life where at the end of the day, this is what we work for, to be entertained like this?".
The type of show I find most boring is the "case-by-case" format, whereby the central character has one case per episode to solve (and the story is often predictable, because it must be solved within the episode).
Because that type of show basically resets the character at the beginning of each episode as if they are perfect and carrying no baggage (or minimal baggage).

Also that type of show may have lower quality acting because there is a very different cast in each episode (Law & Order, for example).
So I avoid those types of shows, and instead watch a show like The Sopranos where the characters carry baggage from everything that happened in the previous episodes.
So their mood changes quite a lot.

All of the shows on my list have that quality-
Better Call Saul
Bloodline
Breaking Bad
Chance
Cobra Kai
Dexter
Dead To Me
Eastbound And Down
Fargo
Gypsy
Homeland
Line Of Duty
Luther
Party Of Five
Servant
Six Feet Under
The Sopranos

A couple of those shows have case-by-case slightly but not entirely, so they still have a long-term story that is changing the character's mood.

For example Dexter is hunting different killers, and sometimes it will be one killer for one episode, but overall his personal life is the main story........plus his main adversaries last an entire season.

The key with these types of shows is the personal life needs to be a big focus, or else you are looking at just their professional life which could be bit monotone (Line Of Duty is mostly professional life stories, so the character development isn't as detailed).

Old 07-12-2021, 04:05 AM

Party Of Five won the 1996 Golden Globe for Best Television Series - Drama.

Old 07-12-2021, 03:09 PM

23,651 posts, read 14,116,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
The type of show I find most boring is the "case-by-case" format, whereby the central character has one case per episode to solve (and the story is often predictable, because it must be solved within the episode).
Because that type of show basically resets the character at the beginning of each episode as if they are perfect and carrying no baggage (or minimal baggage).
Rather the situation I found with "The Streets of San Francisco" especially with "Beyond Vengeance"
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0711503...nm_flmg_act_57
in that daughter Jennie's college travel mate is knifed and murdered but by the end of the show, you would think that never happened to her.
Quote:
Also that type of show may have lower quality acting because there is a very different cast in each episode (Law & Order, for example).
So I avoid those types of shows, and instead watch a show like The Sopranos where the characters carry baggage from everything that happened in the previous episodes.
So their mood changes quite a lot.

All of the shows on my list have that quality-
Better Call Saul
Bloodline
Breaking Bad
Chance
Cobra Kai
Dexter
Dead To Me
Eastbound And Down
Fargo
Gypsy
Homeland
Line Of Duty
Luther
Party Of Five
Servant
Six Feet Under
The Sopranos
Law & Order I don't watch (when I had TV) for various reasons, such as police abusing their powers.

For the shows listed above, most of them I have never seen, due to either conflicts of belief or not being in their transmission range.

The exception is Luther which I bought the series when I asked about British mysteries. Taken on suggestion, I do not like it so far. Luther has lots of faults but the one that stands out to me is that he is a domestic abuser. The defence of "I would never hit you," is not a defence, we know that is spouse abuse, too, these days.

NOW, to be fair, there are a lot of cop shows that I do not watch. Having been in law enforcement, a lot of TV cop shows hit the wrong note with me, I know more than what they are presenting......such as that defence above.

SO-o, let's roll it back to Party of Five. Admittedly, I am not up on the show. I do recall the series of episodes where the younger brother did a DWI but thought he got away with it? He had learned his lesson, considered himself fortunate......and then the police came and busted him when they caught up with their charge sheet?

Generally speaking, do the troubles of life at least mentally hang over their heads past "this week"?

Old 07-12-2021, 04:13 PM

12,804 posts, read 15,082,426 times
For some unknown reason, I never seemed to have any intrest in watching Party of Five & I never saw an episode...not when it originally aired & not now, but I know of the actors in it. But maybe I should start watching. I don't doubt that it's probably good.

What network channel or streaming service does it show on these days?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV