Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 11:08 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,563,358 times

Advertisements

Would Great Britain kindly take back their James Corden? He is one of the most insufferable imports and I don't understand how far he was able to take the Peter Principle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2021, 08:40 AM

6,462 posts, read 5,032,613 times
Art Fleming was my favorite game show host, he was very humble and sincere. Richard Dawson was fantastic on Family Feud. Allen Ludden was great on Password. Bud Collyer, John Charles Daly, Bennett Cerf, Ben Stein also favs. Late night today is unwatchable, too political and not at all entertaining. Carson was the gold standard, early Letterman, Jack Paar, Dick Cavett, Tom Snyder and Leno.

Old 08-28-2021, 07:56 AM

23,649 posts, read 14,209,652 times
In an interesting twist to this, there are shows I am entirely turned off to, to never to watch because......of the way their hosting TV station treated the audience.

Take the Stargate franchise. I never considered the show that fascinating but the way Sci Fi channel slammed it down the throat at each commercial break and on screen advertising, I ended up hating the show......without ever really seeing it.

Old 08-28-2021, 02:00 PM

19,807 posts, read 10,247,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
In an interesting twist to this, there are shows I am entirely turned off to, to never to watch because......of the way their hosting TV station treated the audience.

Take the Stargate franchise. I never considered the show that fascinating but the way Sci Fi channel slammed it down the throat at each commercial break and on screen advertising, I ended up hating the show......without ever really seeing it.
Our local Fox channel owns the local CW channel. So every commercial break on Fox we get the same ads over and over for CW.

Old 08-28-2021, 02:13 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,363,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Can’t bear Rachel Maddow. She is too gooily thankful to guests, and she does not get to the point. I probably agree with her at least 50% of the time. Get to the point, Rachel!

We stopped watching local news chiefly because of the cocky, self absorbed presenter. We did not bother finding another news station. We just stopped watching local news.
Added because DH just read that cocky news presenter is moving back east in a few weeks. He did not last long. I might tune in in a few weeks to see if I can stand the program again.

Old 08-29-2021, 06:05 PM

18,257 posts, read 14,500,228 times
I used to love Regis and Kathy Lee. When they separated them, I stopped watching altogether.

Old 08-29-2021, 06:11 PM

1,228 posts, read 640,276 times
Any talk show that is supposed to be a form of entertainment, but turns into a lecture. The View is a good example.

Old 08-30-2021, 08:42 AM

19,807 posts, read 10,247,118 times
If Dr Phil was not bad enough on his daily show, they now have nighttime specials with him.

Old 08-30-2021, 09:05 AM

3,329 posts, read 2,299,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

Before dumping cable TV, there were several shows I never watched and movies I never saw because of this. I also stopped watching whatever show I'd been watching due to the constant pushing of other shows/movies.

Old 08-30-2021, 10:31 AM

3,518 posts, read 3,454,836 times
Jeopardy would've likely been a new such show on my not to watch list, if they had gone through with making Mike Richards the host for the next season. Richards did decide to back off being the next host, after the stupid remarks he did on a podcast around 2013 and 2014 recently came out. Check out this article, if you hadn't done so yet: https://www.theringer.com/tv/2021/8/...-past-comments

The bad news, is that he's still the executive producer. I just wish he'd also move on from even being the EP myself for both Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune, but that's just me. Richards also strikes me as being sneaky and self serving, when he made some weird remark that he was close to Alex Trebek, when he ONLY was appointed as executive producer(when Harry Friedman, I think that's how to spell his name but correct me if wrong) after Harry stepped down as EP at the end of season 36 (2019-20).

And to me during all the various tryouts of guest hosts in season 37(2020-21, and of course that season started with Trebek hosting the show till he sadly passed away), I have no doubt that Ken Jennings did the best job in his guest host stint. Although a few others also did good too IMO, such as Aaron Rodgers, Buzzy Cohen (doing a tournament of champions), and David Faber to name examples. It's almost like Sony Pictures Television Studios is being tone deaf, in listening to what long time J! fans like me prefer. Not to forget back to when Richards guest hosted during season 37, he had a bad habit of doing wordy and unnecessarily long sign offs at the end of each episode he hosted. Thankfully none of the other hosts except Richards, did that weird habit. And last I historically knew about TV, sign offs by a host are NOT supposed to be long and wordy, and are supposed to be brief at most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV