Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2022, 07:19 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,423,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSOFFLine View Post
Try YouTube TV, streaming for about $65/month.

Unlimited DVR storage, can skip commercials, pause live t.v. ,

you can customize the order of the channels; your shows show up in your library, can organize your shows alphabetically or by channel,

very easy to use.

thanks for sharing that. I am going to check it out. Didn't know.,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2022, 07:24 AM

386 posts, read 176,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbb303 View Post
My biggest complaint about YouTubeTV is that you can't pick up where you left off on a program on the DVR. You have to start from the beginning each time and fast forward to where you left off. I don't do that a lot, but often enough that it's annoying.
I don't have this problem.

Old 10-25-2022, 07:27 AM

29,786 posts, read 34,581,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Well, sure don't want to use my smartphone to have to operate anything w/ my TV, so I'll never get Chromecast then. For me personally, my smartphone's just for the occasional phone call & text if I really have to. I've ALWAYS & will always have a landline phone too.
If you're used to the Roku interface with the stick, you can always get one of the Roku boxes. They hook into the back of your TV with an HDMI cable, and come with their own remote. I've had the low-end boxes for years, and replace them when they get out of date: https://www.roku.com/products/roku-express

Old 10-25-2022, 08:15 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,629,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
If you're used to the Roku interface with the stick, you can always get one of the Roku boxes. They hook into the back of your TV with an HDMI cable, and come with their own remote. I've had the low-end boxes for years, and replace them when they get out of date: https://www.roku.com/products/roku-express
I've been using the roku sticks for a few years now and love it. Last year my wife got me the stream bar for my birthday. Wow! Sounds are so much clearer. Was watching a movie where a man was walking down a hallway with a wooden floor. My house has a wooden floor and I looked to see if that was somebody coming in my room.

Old 10-25-2022, 09:49 AM

12,819 posts, read 15,116,626 times
Quote:

Actually, I wish I could just get a whole new, bigger TV soon in which I'll get the built-in Roku TV (IF it isn't that much more expensive).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I've been using the roku sticks for a few years now and love it. Last year my wife got me the stream bar for my birthday. Wow! Sounds are so much clearer. Was watching a movie where a man was walking down a hallway with a wooden floor. My house has a wooden floor and I looked to see if that was somebody coming in my room.

Sounds good! If it's that great a difference, maybe I should get that soon too.

Old 10-25-2022, 10:36 AM

29,786 posts, read 34,581,881 times
Quote:
Actually, I wish I could just get a whole new, bigger TV soon in which I'll get the built-in Roku TV (IF it isn't that much more expensive).
For myself, I'd rather have the streaming box/Roku separate from the TV, simply because if the box gets slow or is old enough that the updates don't work, I can replace it easily. If the software is in the TV, then you have to either get a new TV or buy a streaming box anyway.

Old 10-25-2022, 11:53 AM

Quote:
For myself, I'd rather have the streaming box/Roku separate from the TV, simply because if the box gets slow or is old enough that the updates don't work, I can replace it easily. If the software is in the TV, then you have to either get a new TV or buy a streaming box anyway.

Good point & reminder! Won't go the Roku TV route then, thanks a lot!

Old 10-27-2022, 08:05 AM

42,049 posts, read 75,496,869 times
Quote:
I've ALWAYS had cable from my pre-teen age living w/ my parents all the way up until literally just 2 wks ago without ever disontinuing it & I'm in my 40s now.
Why did you discontinue your cable, then?

Old 10-27-2022, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Why did you discontinue your cable, then?

I didn't. The cable TV co. shut me off. Up until a couple of wks ago when I happily still had my triple bundle (cable TV, internet, & cable), I desperately needed faster internet speed. Instead, the incompetents over there shut off my landline & cable, but didn't do a thing w/ my internet speed, so they did everything opposite & wrong.

After a few hrs on the phone &/or being on online chat w/ them to straighten it out, I got the phone back on, but they nev could bring my cable back. They claimed they no longer have cable, but instead DirecTV & YouTube TV streaming. How is that when I just had cable all along up until 2 wks ago? So I guess that's gone forever.

I can call around w/ other cable companies to see what they offer & if the price is what I'm willing to pay. Otherwise, I guess I'll just go w/ streaming all the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV