Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2022, 11:14 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,970,303 times

Advertisements

So my cable TV's finally gone after having it all along for decades. I like just being able to flip through channels, save things on my DVR, & not have to keep track w/ what I've seen/not seen yet for every show I watch. With cable TV, it was so easy.

I have a few streaming services now, but never as my MAIN/ONLY way of watching TV before. I know it's not hard to navigate around. I just like the cable TV way better.

Anyone know if any cable TV's still around at all? I just recently had Frontier Communications, BTW.

Also, my streaming's just started to have a lag in the last couple of days whether it's Hulu, Paramount+, etc...the audio comes later than the action, which gets to be frustrating after a while. Anyone know how to fix it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2022, 02:43 PM

50,783 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
So my cable TV's finally gone after having it all along for decades. I like just being able to flip through channels, save things on my DVR, & not have to keep track w/ what I've seen/not seen yet for every show I watch. With cable TV, it was so easy.

I have a few streaming services now, but never as my MAIN/ONLY way of watching TV before. I know it's not hard to navigate around. I just like the cable TV way better.

Anyone know if any cable TV's still around at all? I just recently had Frontier Communications, BTW.

Also, my streaming's just started to have a lag in the last couple of days whether it's Hulu, Paramount+, etc...the audio comes later than the action, which gets to be frustrating after a while. Anyone know how to fix it?
Are you joking? Cable is alive and well. I have mine with Cox.

Old 10-20-2022, 03:26 PM

5,458 posts, read 8,174,868 times
Cable TV is still around.

I first started streaming in 2008 when I bought a Netflix streaming device made by a company that few had heard of called Roku, so I am very familiar with it. But I also still use cable TV from Spectrum.

Cable has many advantages over streaming. Ease of navigation. Easy to use DVRs. Ability to skip over commercials. All of your programs in one place. My Tivo DVR has a feature called Quick Time. The recorded program plays back 30% faster, but the normal sound pitch is preserved – great for watching motorsports and even football and basketball.

I also still rent discs from Netflix – I have been doing so since 1999.

Old 10-20-2022, 03:48 PM

22,462 posts, read 11,986,290 times
We still have cable with Verizon Fios.

Old 10-20-2022, 04:30 PM

381 posts, read 170,402 times
Try YouTube TV, streaming for about $65/month.

Unlimited DVR storage, can skip commercials, pause live t.v. ,

you can customize the order of the channels; your shows show up in your library, can organize your shows alphabetically or by channel,

very easy to use.

Old 10-20-2022, 04:57 PM

11,462 posts, read 5,980,816 times
Try Comcast cable TV. I hate Comcast, but they should service Southern California, unless you live completely out in the sticks.

If you do live outside an area serviced by cable TV, you can still use a satelite company like Dish Network or DirecTV.

Old 10-20-2022, 05:20 PM

4,601 posts, read 6,357,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
We still have cable with Verizon Fios.
Close, but no cigar. Fiber optic delivery is leagues ahead of cable delivery....but still a subscription service.

Old 10-20-2022, 06:52 PM

5,458 posts, read 8,174,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Close, but no cigar. Fiber optic delivery is leagues ahead of cable delivery....but still a subscription service.
What non-subscription service wins the cigar? Please tell.

Old 10-21-2022, 09:47 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,116,302 times
We have Fidelity cable and it is fiber optic.

Old 10-21-2022, 10:28 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,336,150 times
Cable TV is of course still around. We cut cable but for the last few years really only watched it for local news and the occasional show that we can now stream from the network's website or one of our streaming platforms. We are however going to get a digital antenna for local news because although tubi gets some of the local news it doesn't do the national morning shows and the such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV