Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2023, 05:32 PM

2,024 posts, read 979,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
So I guess Apple and Android decided to start playing nice with each other? B/C I'm pretty sure there was a time this wasn't the case.
Android has nothing to do with it. Where did you get that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2023, 03:00 AM

9,975 posts, read 5,672,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
Android has nothing to do with it. Where did you get that?
True, it's Apple that likes to keep as much of its own product within its own ecosphere as possible.

Old 06-01-2023, 12:10 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I too like Roku which has streaming channels and allows one to use various apps for more programming.

I hear some good things about Roku but, I have lousy on-air reception where I am, does Roku or others offer streamed local channels?

Old 06-01-2023, 12:13 PM

2,024 posts, read 979,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
True, it's Apple that likes to keep as much of its own product within its own ecosphere as possible.
They (Apple) were never going to have enough subscribers to pay for their content if they required the AppleTV device exclusively.

Old 06-01-2023, 03:38 PM

4,834 posts, read 3,262,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
There are many free services such as Pluto, Tubi and Hulu, even YouTube that can provide much of your TV needs. Apple and Amazon (and Netflix) have much of the same content from other sources but also their own original programming. From what my friends with Apple say, it has much more original programming. You need to go to their websites and browse their lineups to see which has the most interesting content for you. We have Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Max (was HBO Max). Some models of the Fire Stick let you change channels with Alexa.

Hulu isn't free. May have been at one point. Further, even at $14.99 a month you can't skip ALL the ads.

Old 06-02-2023, 09:40 AM

43,631 posts, read 44,355,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I hear some good things about Roku but, I have lousy on-air reception where I am, does Roku or others offer streamed local channels?
Roku does offer local news channels for various areas within the USA. There are also seem to be a few other regular TV channels streamed on Roku such ION, etc.

Old 06-02-2023, 07:58 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,112,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Hulu isn't free. May have been at one point. Further, even at $14.99 a month you can't skip ALL the ads.
HULU has a black Friday special, usually of $1.99 a month for a year.

Old 06-02-2023, 07:59 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,112,559 times
Quote:
Roku does offer local news channels for various areas within the USA. There are also seem to be a few other regular TV channels streamed on Roku such ION, etc.
And you don't need a Roku TV. You can stream it on a computer.

Old 06-04-2023, 03:59 PM

43,631 posts, read 44,355,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
And you don't need a Roku TV. You can stream it on a computer.
One can buy a roku device that can be plugged into a computer just like a smart tv.

Old 06-04-2023, 09:39 PM

1,601 posts, read 865,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
You can get all of Apple's content through any device.
I would recommend not using the smart tv version of the apps for a few reasons unimportant to this thread

I am a big fan of the Roku devices if for no other reason than I like that they're independent of Amazon and Google. I did use an Apple TV box once which I hated. Awful remote and interface.
Quote:
I too like Roku which has streaming channels and allows one to use various apps for more programming.
Roku is the bomb! They work better and have a better UI than any built in Smart TV aps, and being external to the TV tend to pick up your WIFI better. You can also buy ROKU TVs and they're just as good. I'm a huge fan of the Hisense ROKU TV's Walmart sells...cheap and really great picture quality. They've been far more reliable than Sony or Vizio TV's I've had.

ROKU is also simple enough that my 75 year old mother can use it once I set it up for her. That's worth something right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV