Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2024, 06:05 PM

19,751 posts, read 10,191,208 times

Advertisements

What idiot thought that Queen Latifah could act?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2024, 08:57 PM

12,435 posts, read 8,225,382 times
Going into a 10th season as the star of a second scripted show with many lead and supporting movie and TV roles in between it doesn't matter if Queen Latifah can act. She can draw an audience and the business doesn't care about objections from the show people when someone can get them money.

Old Yesterday, 04:59 AM

4,947 posts, read 3,373,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Going into a 10th season as the star of a second scripted show with many lead and supporting movie and TV roles in between it doesn't matter if Queen Latifah can act. She can draw an audience and the business doesn't care about objections from the show people when someone can get them money.

Well said.

Old Yesterday, 09:51 AM

512 posts, read 206,651 times
The show should be called Robin Wick because some of the action choreography is over the top.

Old Yesterday, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiffuseGlow View Post
The show should be called Robin Wick because some of the action choreography is over the top.
Its more old man action like Taken and Denzel Washington's films. But who remembers Bryan Mills name?

Old Yesterday, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Its more old man action like Taken and Denzel Washington's films. But who remembers Bryan Mills name?
Yes, it is, but sometimes Robin (QL) moves unbelievably fast and takes on multiple assailants (who are in much better shape) with relative ease.

A specific example: A few episodes ago, Robin and Mel (Liza Lapira) are questioning a young guy about the disappearance of a young girl who he had dated. He takes off running. Mel goes after him.

The next time we see Robin, she's managed to run faster and farther than both Mel and the teen. Robin subdues him by flinging a conveniently placed square of cardboard (from a box) like a frisbee at his feet. Everyone knows old, weathered, soiled cardboard isn't that slippery, but that guy may as well have been traversing an oil slick because he went down like a sack of potatoes.

Old Yesterday, 10:33 AM

I did think that Edward Woodard's old man guile rather than Denzel Washington's old man action should have been the guide for Queen Latifah taking over the role. But I guess 80s TV is for the most part to slow for the modern audience.

Watching Mel/Liza Lapira always looking like she was about to tip over in her action platform heels should give us appreciation of what Gabrielle Anwar (Fiona) and her stunt women were able to do on Burn Notice

Old Yesterday, 11:17 AM

Quote:
But I guess 80s TV is for the most part to slow for the modern audience.
In a nutshell.

Thank the heavens for Bosch and Bosch: Legacy.

I greatly enjoyed FX's short-lived Terriers back in 2010.

Last year, Shawn Ryan (creator/exec producer of The Shield, and co-developer/exec producer of CBS' S.W.A.T.) said of Terriers:

"I think Terriers was ahead of its time. That would have been a fun show to make for Netflix or Amazon or Apple and let people discover it on their own time. I blame myself for not pushing better for a better title. And I think FX would admit that they never got the marketing right on that show. I think that show happened at the wrong time, at the wrong place."

Old Today, 01:13 AM

4,848 posts, read 4,091,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiffuseGlow View Post

I greatly enjoyed FX's short-lived Terriers back in 2010.

Last year, Shawn Ryan (creator/exec producer of The Shield, and co-developer/exec producer of CBS' S.W.A.T.) said of Terriers:

"I think Terriers was ahead of its time. That would have been a fun show to make for Netflix or Amazon or Apple and let people discover it on their own time. I blame myself for not pushing better for a better title. And I think FX would admit that they never got the marketing right on that show. I think that show happened at the wrong time, at the wrong place."
"Terriers" is one of my all time favorite shows that hardly anyone seems to have heard of or remember, so plus points for you for mentioning it. This was some really great television with incredible potential, and was an excellent showcase for Donal Logue's talent. I still think it was criminal that it never got the attention or second season it deserved.

Old Today, 08:06 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,341,302 times
Equalizer storylines and cast are a refreshing change of pace. I like when I can suspend belief and just roll with a plot. Not too much preaching and wokeness. Just good ole TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV