Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 07:08 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,214,643 times

Advertisements

July 9th at 9p.m.

Amelia Earhart disappears - Jul 02, 1937 - HISTORY.com

I have always been fascinated by her story because my mother went to school with her at Medford High School, Medford, Massachusetts. I grew up hearing stories about her before she was famous. Plus my mother's cousin and his crew, who were flying a Red Cross plane, went MIA over the Phillipines, shot down by the Japs in WWII. My father always "joked" that Malcomb and Amelia were together, living life in the Philippines somewhere.

I will be checking this show out for sure, just to feel close to my Mom for a few minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 02:10 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,917,976 times
Yes--she is an enigmatic figure--
There has been so much money spent over the decades trying to discover a certitude about her last days...
I wonder that the Japanese have not given more info because if anyone has anything tied directly to that time line it is likely them...
Will put it on my calendar...

Old 06-25-2017, 06:22 PM

8,499 posts, read 6,908,457 times
People have been concocting stories about what actually happened to Earhart for years. Bottom line is that she was flying hundreds of miles to an island that was just above sea level with 1930's navigation technology. She got lost, ran out of gas and crashed into the sea.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:40 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,023,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Yes--she is an enigmatic figure--
There has been so much money spent over the decades trying to discover a certitude about her last days...
I wonder that the Japanese have not given more info because if anyone has anything tied directly to that time line it is likely them...
Will put it on my calendar...
The Japanese were already prepping for WW2 at that time, so if they did have anything to do with AE, they'll never admit it. It is very likely that AE did do a flyover to spy on them and report to the US government on their war readiness.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:45 PM

17,607 posts, read 15,298,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
People have been concocting stories about what actually happened to Earhart for years. Bottom line is that she was flying hundreds of miles to an island that was just above sea level with 1930's navigation technology. She got lost, ran out of gas and crashed into the sea.
Well, the Garner Island theory holds some water. Not saying it's right, but.. There is some evidence behind it to make it a viable theory.

There's been lots of circumstantial evidence that they landed in the water there and survived for a time. Conclusive evidence? No.. If they could ever find the skeleton that was discovered on the island for genetic testing.. That would either prove or disprove it.

I suspect that this special is another plug for TIGHAR. They have a bad tendency to put out press releases saying "Earhart mystery solved" and other sensational claims that they can't back up.

Old 06-26-2017, 05:22 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,275,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
There was an small isolated island found in what had been backwaters of a sand bar, this in the area where she and her crew dissapeared. The people who found it got curious when they found a primitive shed built on the upper part, where it remained dry with high water. Inside they found parts of aircraft from a smaller plane, but repurposed. Eventually, a grave was found, and the remains were taken for testing. I believe they determined they were male, but items belonging to a woman were also found. This was in the same swampy area where they were known to have gone down.

There was no sign or remains of the woman, but if she was alone would not have been buried.

Its considered a 'possible' explanation. But what a horrible end, likely to starve to death alone.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:48 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,061,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
July 9th at 9p.m.

Amelia Earhart disappears - Jul 02, 1937 - HISTORY.com

I have always been fascinated by her story because my mother went to school with her at Medford High School, Medford, Massachusetts. I grew up hearing stories about her before she was famous. Plus my mother's cousin and his crew, who were flying a Red Cross plane, went MIA over the Phillipines, shot down by the Japs in WWII. My father always "joked" that Malcomb and Amelia were together, living life in the Philippines somewhere.

I will be checking this show out for sure, just to feel close to my Mom for a few minutes.

How about telling us some of them?

Old 06-27-2017, 09:32 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,214,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
How about telling us some of them?
Teenage stuff. Like going to "progressive suppers". School stuff. Things that I wasn't interested in retaining, just know they were about this famous missing lady. All I retained was she and Malcomb were both missing in the Phillipines and they knew each other from school. Enough for me to "bond".

Old 06-27-2017, 09:50 AM

26,657 posts, read 28,718,912 times
I was always interested in her too. Then, several years ago, I read that some group had found a few things on an island that might have showed where she spent her last days. I remember they mentioned a shoe of the same brand and size that she wore. Can't remember what else but there were signs of someone having lived there and I think island natives mentioned something about a plane crash? They mentioned something at least that added credibility to the theory that this might have been the place where she lived until the inevitable end of her life.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:57 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,917,976 times
Think the end would have likely come very soon--
Horrible way to go but she was intent on living life to the limit
Guess she found it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV