Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 06:48 AM

403 posts, read 1,581,379 times

Advertisements

It seems like ever since Hannah Montana premiered on Disney Channel-the channel has been going downhill, the kids seem brainwashed by her. I went to a birthday of my friend's granddaughter and everything at the party was Hannah every where!!!!!!! And the acting on her show SUCKS big time! I swear it was driving me insane and when I go to the stores I see Hannah,Jonas Brother, and the HSM ever where. And now this movie with the Jonas Bros. has come out at some camp or something or a rock? who knows? I looked them up to see what's made them so popular and they've only been on a few movies since 2006, and that was their first year of acting! It's out of control! I actually liked Disney Channel when That's so Raven and I think it's called Kim Possible was on. And I noticed that all the male actors have long hair, what's up with that even the ones that had short hair have long hair now. And what is up with all the Zac guy from the HSM on kids lunch bags saying he's sexy and stuff? He looks like a woman or something. Disney has become so teen and adult oriented, how can it even be considered Disney anymore? Does anyone agree with me? Hopefully they do? I think the industry is in it for the money and greed, unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 04:48 PM

145 posts, read 435,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwflconch View Post
It seems like ever since Hannah Montana premiered on Disney Channel-the channel has been going downhill, the kids seem brainwashed by her. I went to a birthday of my friend's granddaughter and everything at the party was Hannah every where!!!!!!! And the acting on her show SUCKS big time! I swear it was driving me insane and when I go to the stores I see Hannah,Jonas Brother, and the HSM ever where. And now this movie with the Jonas Bros. has come out at some camp or something or a rock? who knows? I looked them up to see what's made them so popular and they've only been on a few movies since 2006, and that was their first year of acting! It's out of control! I actually liked Disney Channel when That's so Raven and I think it's called Kim Possible was on. And I noticed that all the male actors have long hair, what's up with that even the ones that had short hair have long hair now. And what is up with all the Zac guy from the HSM on kids lunch bags saying he's sexy and stuff? He looks like a woman or something. Disney has become so teen and adult oriented, how can it even be considered Disney anymore? Does anyone agree with me? Hopefully they do? I think the industry is in it for the money and greed, unfortunately.
I think kids shows are just way too grown up now. I watch some of them with my little sister she's 13 and I'm like this isn't a kids show it's a soap operas. Zoey 101 is ridiculous to me. When I was growing up I watched stuff like saved by the bell and even though they were close to the same age as zoey and pals their story lines were not always about relationships - they also talked about things that kids could relate to like slater never having a home because he moved around so much, or the time jesse got addicted to caffeine pills cause she was trying to study for a test or how she felt about her height and kelly couldn't go to the prom because her father got laid off. Kids shows today don't have points or messages - they're just drama and more drama.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:23 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,448,201 times
My daughter is 11, I love the shows you mention. I think they are good clean fun and what planet are you on thinking they are brainwashing our kids.

I watch these shows with my daughter and I find their message to be wholesome and positive. If you don't like them, then don't watch.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:36 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,124,914 times
I can't imagine what is wrong with Hannah Montana. It seems pretty wholesome to me and it's really funny. But then, I don't have a hang up about long hair on boys.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:35 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,782,581 times
Quote:

I don't think there is anything wrong with Hannah Montana, my 5 yr old grandaughter loves it and how are they brainwashing kids??? I used to like the Brady Bunch, Gilligan's Island, Beverly Hillbillies, I Love Lucy, was i being brainwashed?

Old 07-14-2008, 11:45 AM

1,440 posts, read 4,419,085 times
Quote:
I think the industry is in it for the money and greed, unfortunately.
What else would they be in it for? Seriously. About the only show for kids I'd call a sincere and selfless exercise was Mister Rogers.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:21 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,003,650 times
My daugher watches all the shows mentioned and I have seen a few episodes of everything mentioned. I dont see anything wrong with any of them. She is in love with Hannah Montana though, I think I have spent several hundred dollars on HM stuff so far!

But, there are far worse things that our kids could be watching. I dont see anything much different from there shows than what I watched when I was younger.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:43 PM

895 posts, read 4,250,337 times
I have a couple different points of view:

Disney works very hard to have clean television programs and I like them for it. However, I don't allow my 6 yo to watch any of the television shows (Hannah Montana, Suite Life, etc.) shown on the channel. She watched a few episodes over a friend's house and I thought, what the heck--she's growing up, I'll let her watch it. It's a cute show but most of the jokes are aimed at kids much older than her. I also felt that there was way too much boyfriend/girlfriend talk for my child's age. So, we don't watch. I think the music is fine--most of the time, they don't get the words. As for HSM, the plot is way above my kid's heads and I was a little uncomfortable having to explain what a boyfriend/girlfriend was (I just didn't want to go there yet even though my 4 yo said she had a boyfriend and I have no idea where that came from!). The music and choreography is lots of fun and I'd rather have them listen to the Disney soundtracks (such as HSM and Hannah Montana) than the stuff my husband listens to.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:02 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,871,845 times
Are you serious???? You think Disney is bad for our kids??? Have you turned the channel? I would much rather my son be watching HM, HSM, Camp Rock (Joe Jonas stars in this one), Suite Life, etc than the other crap that's on Nick (that would be the horrid Zoey 101 which he is not allowed to watch) or some of the other channels. Yes they advertise and market everything they can from these shows but come on. I even bought my son a HM beach towel even though he'll only use it when none of his friends are around Many of these kids are "discovered" from casting calls. The JB were a sensation from the start. I personally love to watch these shows with my son. They are funny and not too grown up. We went to see the movie and I knew all the songs myself! Embarrassed the devil out of him singing along There are way worse things impacting our children today than Disney.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:40 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,448,201 times
When my daughter was younger, she was into a completely different group of shows. There wasn't a problem with her watching something too old for her, they just didn't hold her attention.

Back then it was all about Barnie, Sagwa and the like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV