Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite host
Jay Leno 22 36.07%
David Letterman 20 32.79%
Conan O' Brien 8 13.11%
Other 11 18.03%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 09:52 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,181,348 times

Advertisements

Other-

Arsenio Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash83 View Post
I am curious as to who everyone likes for late night talk shows. I like Letterman the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 10:00 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,686,482 times
Craig Ferguson. That guy is nuts and I love it!

Old 09-20-2008, 10:45 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,876,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
Hmmmm, never watch any of the late night talk shows. Usually have FOX or CNN, Sci-Fi or a movie on while visiting here or reading a book at that time of night.

I can’t do that with the tv or a book. I do however have the radio on while watching the pc monitor and visiting CD.
Now that’s a 2fer that’s unbeatable.

Late night radio with George Noory on Coast to Coast AM is always entertaining and informative (most of the time).

Old 09-20-2008, 03:41 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,729,047 times
Jay Leno without a doubt. He's funny, he can write his own stuff, and I like the things that he does on his show.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:13 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,426,909 times
David Letterman then Jay Leno.

Old 09-20-2008, 06:29 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,681,849 times
Jay Leno rather than the other choices--not because I watch nightly but because of what I see in replays and besides he rides a Harley.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:01 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,916,865 times
Conan is by far the best with Jimmy Kimmel coming in second. Both are very funny and do a great job.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:18 PM

1,510 posts, read 5,066,665 times
Always liked Letterman the best. Cant stand Conan, and dont like Leno.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:45 PM

726 posts, read 2,268,890 times
I picked other. I mostly watch The Jimmy Kimmel show.
I watch the other ones sometimes. But my Tv is always on the channel, that shows Jimmy Kimmel's show, so I guess thats why I like his better.

Leno can be very funny at times. He'd come in second

Old 09-21-2008, 09:41 AM

26,210 posts, read 49,027,375 times
Here's what I wrote in a similar thread, almost a year ago. The old thread should've been used rather than starting a dupe thread.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/tv/11...ight-host.html

1. Leno is who we watch most. He takes items from the news and his writers do decent things with the foibles of politicians and other people in the news. Battle of the Jay Walk All Stars is good, especially if Gilbert Gottfried is on. When he goes out to the street to ask people basic questions, it blows me away that people can be that dumb. Are they spoofing us, or are these dummies for real? For us, the fun ends at the top of the hour when the talking head phase starts, so we turn elsewhere, as we don't care to see hollywood jerks touting their latest movies, most of which are crap, and some of the "stars" he interviews need a brain before they try and converse again. I can't stand the high-five hand-smack crap when he comes on stage - oh wow, I touched Jay Leno's, ain't I special. The band is very good and adds to the show, expecially bouncing barbs back and forth with Kevin Eubanks.

2. David Letterman is our backup, we surf over to see him when Leno goes to commercial. Top ten list is dated, but if it's topical then it can be decent, as are stupid dog or people tricks. Will it Float was silly fun, Grinder Girl and Hula Hoop Lady were HOT. Love the way he skewers the idiot in the white house that cannot articulate a lucid thought. Cannot stand the totally meaningless voiceover intro at very start of show (and now, the greatest blah blah in the universe, Daaaaavid Lettermannnnnn) - it has no context at all, isn't the least bit funny. Then there is that stupid thing he does where he places his flat right hand over his liver and sticks out his tongue - the audience goes wild for this sh-t, but I sure don't get it. As far as Stephanie, the girl who brings out gifts to the audience, she needs to go buy herself a personality - one with a smile. I detest the stupid things he does where he claims that such and such an person is going to come out on stage and then some fat a-hole in a yellow shirt rides a bicycle across the stage and out the door. Huh? Why is this funny? Then there are the "disgrunted employees" who come out and say f-you, f-you, and F-YOU, or the Asian woman who walks out and pours tea for Letterman while he ignores her. None of this is funny. Why do people laugh? He should fire his writers. The show is often tird city. The band is excellent and adds a lot to the show, they seem very talented, often saving the show from being a major waste. As with Leno, the fun ends at the top of the hour when the talking head phase starts, so we turn elsewhere.

3. Craig Ferguson. Decent chap. Can't get past the accent or the way he can't stand still.

4. Conan O'Brien. Doesn't have much. The best thing on his show is when La Bamba does "In the Year 2000" which we find funny. But come on, he comes out and does a bunny hop, spins around, shakes his Trump Junior hair style, and jerks on his necktie - so what. So efffff-ing what. The audience goes wild. Why? Its crap! Totally meaningless nonsense that is NOT funny or worthy of applause. Then there's the band leader, Max Weinberg. What's with this jerk? He sits all alone, ten feet away from the main band, as if he's too good to be with them, and he sits up on his own little tirdstool of a bandstand with his name in huge letters. Tell me, how do you spell EGOMANIAC?

5. Jimmy Kimmel. Loser. No talent. Pig. Juvenile. An ass. Nothing doing. Won't watch his crap.

To say I'm disappointed with them is an understatement. IMO, it would be fabulous to see Jerry Seinfeld or Billy Crystal or Bette Midler or Cybill Sheppard and Christine Baranski, even Lewis Black, host some of these shows, get some real talent, people with great wit - and BRAINS. Where the hell are the women and the black guys when it comes to late night hosts?

s/Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV