Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 12:28 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,502,796 times

Advertisements

I sometimes wonder, while I'm watching, if the original contractors watch the show and see their POS work getting ripped apart (literally as well as metaphorically) and ever feel any shame or embarrassment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 12:31 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,948,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I'm sitting there wondering how much this stuff costs and who pays for it. He does know his stuff, though.

He recently answered this question on his FB page:

Who pays for the work on HOH?. HOH offers discounts depending on the scope of the job, which are passed onto the homeowner. As HOH is a TV show, we have money to cover Mike's time & his crew, and we pass these savings onto the homeowner. Any other costs are paid for by the homeowner & often end up being 10-15% of the overall job price. Every job is different & financial situations are always taken into account.

He also has a magazine: ondering where to buy Mike's new magazine: HOLMES: The Magazine to Make It Right®? Check out our retailer list: USA Retailers (http://bit.ly/asqqE4 - broken link) More retailers coming soon!

Old 04-15-2010, 12:34 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,948,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
I sometimes wonder, while I'm watching, if the original contractors watch the show and see their POS work getting ripped apart (literally as well as metaphorically) and ever feel any shame or embarrassment

I know it wouldn't be possible cause of "slander suits", but I'd LOVE for them to be able to post the name and location of the horrible contractors these people had. If you were a contractor and you knew that there was a chance for your shotty work may be broadcast on TV with the name of your company, etc. Maybe these people would step it up a bit and not take that risk and actually do good work. Plus it would be a good "heads up" for people looking for a contractor.

I know... welcome back to reality.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:40 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,333,454 times
Another thing I like about Mike Holmes is that he started a Foundation whose raison d'etre is to send young folks to school to learn tradeskills. They award a certain number of scholarships each year to both men and women.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:57 AM

50,503 posts, read 64,425,260 times
He seems like a good guy, but the earring has to go.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:06 PM

746 posts, read 1,680,730 times
I read somewhere that he was voted most trusted Canadian....that says something, the guy knows what the he** he's doing!
One woman said that having mike come fix your house would be like winning the lottery.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:51 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,470,675 times
I like Holmes on Holmes but not crazy about the 30 minute Holmes Inspection which is basically just him laying out the work for his crew.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:09 PM

746 posts, read 1,680,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
I like Holmes on Holmes but not crazy about the 30 minute Holmes Inspection which is basically just him laying out the work for his crew.
Do you guys only get the short version? We get the full hour episodes in Canada.

It's absolutely neccesary. He's trying to change the industry, and the way houses are built. I love it!

Old 04-03-2011, 09:17 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,244,090 times
I've been watching Holmes for a couple of years or so... but I lose track of my time continuum. I thank Mike for what he is doing for the construction industry and homeowners.

There should be more like him and his crew.

I just checked the TV listing for the next Holmes Inspection... one hour, originally aired HGTV October '09. But I don't think they're new when they air in the U.S.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:29 PM

5,355 posts, read 8,588,753 times
I just recently discovered this show. I normally don't want DIY shows, but I find his strangely compelling.

He is yummy, too!! mmmmmmmm ...who could resist a guy who is smart, can build/fix stuff, nice to people, buzzed head, built.... !!! hot!!!

I watch it for the eye candy as much as learning about how houses should be built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV