Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2010, 08:40 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,746,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
I am also not clear about that (I missed Eric's explanation though). But apparently these werewolves are under the leadership/power of a vampire. They are fueled by vampire blood which makes them more powerful. I am thinking that Eric and Godric were in the SS to find or flush out someone (the vampire who led these powerful werewolves?). I think more about this will be clarified in later episodes.
I thought the vampire King is the leader of these werewolves? Or did I draw this conclusion too quickly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 11:51 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,800,567 times
On the gloves thing when Bill got out of the car...if you remember he was covered in silver and needed the gloves to be able to take it off. They show you glance and notice the gloves and the guy takes them off for some reason. They don't show Bill putting them on, but the next scene is the car careening and Bill comes out wearing the gloves.

On the "Nazi werewolves" Eric explained it that the wolves predate the Nazi's and that he and Godric infiltrated the SS to find out who was leading the werewolves and giving them vamp blood. It's not a far stretch to assume that the King of Mississippi is that vampire. I find it very interesting when they intertwine the vamps in historical settings and I am hoping that this season will help us get a better picture of vampire society and their internal struggles. I imagine that if you live for an essentially infinite amount of time that old grudges and habits die hard.

The neat piece for me was when the new vamp was in Bill's house and uncovered the hidden file on Sookie. The King of Mississippi was also pestering Bill about why move to Bon Temps and seemed to imply that Bill was working for the Queen. Perhaps Bill's intentions and interest in Sookie weren't so incidental after all? It seems that the vamps are taking quite an interest in Sookie and the Queen is viewing her as an asset in her kingdom, an asset that the King wants.

I wasn't sure if throwing the lamp at Leona (or whatever her name is) was a dream sequence or reality. However, I did thoroughly enjoy the meal and the various courses as they were presented. Especially when the one host excused himself to "drain the next course".

Overall this season has been fantastic. I thought season 2 lacked a lot compared to season 1 and would much have preferred more focus on the church and Godric and that situation versus Marianne's carrying on's back in Bon Temps. This season has definitely raised the bar again and my wife and I are hooked.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:34 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,234,296 times
OK, I was thinking "jumped the shark" with Nazi Werewolves but then again I am a big fan of the camp in Dark Shadows and for that matter, Lost In Space with over-the-top aliens and even Hogan's Heroes..

I was laughing at a lot of it and I have been hooked sinc the first season - would love to see a good pic of the dashboard of Lafayette's Mercedes.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:23 PM

37,818 posts, read 41,123,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Co-signed!

True but for Bon Temps, he was average. ...
Really? Except for Bill and Jessica, who else is unemployed and/or not looking for work? (Bill may actually have a job that hasn't been revealed yet but I don't want to give away what's in the books.) Even serial killer Rene had a job. Hoyt, Jason, Lafayette, Tara, Pam, Ginger, Sookie, Bill, Sam, Eric, Arlene, Terry, Andy, Kenya, Mike Spencer...even Jason's now dead girlfriend who just wanted to do V all the time, got a job waiting tables as soon as she blew into town. They made it a point to let us know Eggs had been a criminal and all he was at Maryann's was a layabout (although he was killing for her, Tara didn't know that) who got high all of the time and we were expected, just because he's good-looking, to think Tara thinks of him as the greatest thing since sliced bread. "I finally found a good man." Based on what?

Old 06-21-2010, 07:23 PM

5,022 posts, read 10,738,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
On the gloves thing when Bill got out of the car...if you remember he was covered in silver and needed the gloves to be able to take it off. They show you glance and notice the gloves and the guy takes them off for some reason. They don't show Bill putting them on, but the next scene is the car careening and Bill comes out wearing the gloves.

On the "Nazi werewolves" Eric explained it that the wolves predate the Nazi's and that he and Godric infiltrated the SS to find out who was leading the werewolves and giving them vamp blood. It's not a far stretch to assume that the King of Mississippi is that vampire. I find it very interesting when they intertwine the vamps in historical settings and I am hoping that this season will help us get a better picture of vampire society and their internal struggles. I imagine that if you live for an essentially infinite amount of time that old grudges and habits die hard.

The neat piece for me was when the new vamp was in Bill's house and uncovered the hidden file on Sookie. The King of Mississippi was also pestering Bill about why move to Bon Temps and seemed to imply that Bill was working for the Queen. Perhaps Bill's intentions and interest in Sookie weren't so incidental after all? It seems that the vamps are taking quite an interest in Sookie and the Queen is viewing her as an asset in her kingdom, an asset that the King wants.

I wasn't sure if throwing the lamp at Leona (or whatever her name is) was a dream sequence or reality. However, I did thoroughly enjoy the meal and the various courses as they were presented. Especially when the one host excused himself to "drain the next course".

Overall this season has been fantastic. I thought season 2 lacked a lot compared to season 1 and would much have preferred more focus on the church and Godric and that situation versus Marianne's carrying on's back in Bon Temps. This season has definitely raised the bar again and my wife and I are hooked.
I understood that part, just not the part about the werewolves being Nazis. Isn't it enough to just be a werewolf? Why would the werewolves decide to join the Nazi party during WWII?! I think someone just thinks that the idea of "Nazi werewolves" is so ridiculous that it is hilarious (which it is). If they took themselves at all seriously, they would have definitely jumped the shark with the introduction of that concept.

Anyhoo, this season is off to a raucous start I can't wait for next week's ep!

Old 06-21-2010, 08:58 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,495,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I understood that part, just not the part about the werewolves being Nazis. Isn't it enough to just be a werewolf? Why would the werewolves decide to join the Nazi party during WWII?! I think someone just thinks that the idea of "Nazi werewolves" is so ridiculous that it is hilarious (which it is). If they took themselves at all seriously, they would have definitely jumped the shark with the introduction of that concept.
There are several weird factors in play here, and I am not sure if the writers are fully aware of all their implications. (I generally do not have much faith in screenwriters' research diligence. They work for Hollywood.) I guess I'm probably the only practicing Germanic heathen here with a background in WWII historical writing, so maybe I can open some lines of thought.

The emblem shown, in runic terms, is an Eihwaz (symbolizing the yew, and with various other significances rather too deep to explore here) bisected by an Isa (symbolizing ice, freezing and stopping). This glyph is commonly called the 'Swede Trap', generally considered a symbol of warding.

In a more sinister incarnation of our modern day, this emblem is the heart of the symbol of the Aryan Nations, which as you might guess is a white supremacist organization headquartered in northern Idaho (though most Idahoans wish it were not). Theologically, they are affiliated with the Christian Identity movement, an outgrowth of the British Israelite movement. They are anti-Semitic, certainly a hate group. (The vast majority of us Germanic heathens find this abuse of runic symbolism deeply offensive, much as we find the muddled, monstrous paths down which the Nazis liked to imagine they were following their heritage.)

Operation Werewolf was a not entirely (just mostly) unsuccessful plan for a pro-Nazi guerrilla resistance to Allied occupation. While it didn't throw the Allies out of Germany after WWII, obviously, it is not generally known that this movement at least harried the occupation forces for some years with success in a disorganized, localized fashion. The eihwaz/isa combination is also associated with this movement, though sometimes not in exactly the same juxtaposition as one usually sees the Swede Trap.

Thus, there are multiple items in play here. It doesn't explain why Eric and Godric were SS officers, and I am not sure what the writers are getting at. Although I must say that given the history of the Holocaust, it's hard to imagine a more suitable concept than vampires in SS uniforms. I didn't notice precisely whether they were Waffen-SS or Allgemeine-SS uniforms, or some other branch--like most of you, I was too busy watching the show. In fact, I didn't look closely enough to see for sure if they were officers or enlisted. It was an enormous organization with numerous tentacles entwined in German life, venom dripping from them all.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:28 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,790,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Really? Except for Bill and Jessica, who else is unemployed and/or not looking for work? (Bill may actually have a job that hasn't been revealed yet but I don't want to give away what's in the books.) Even serial killer Rene had a job. Hoyt, Jason, Lafayette, Tara, Pam, Ginger, Sookie, Bill, Sam, Eric, Arlene, Terry, Andy, Kenya, Mike Spencer...even Jason's now dead girlfriend who just wanted to do V all the time, got a job waiting tables as soon as she blew into town.
These people have jobs, but who has a lot of money? No one (even the cops) are in the 'working professional' class. And they have cars and housing expenses. Eggs, living with MaryAnn, still had a higher quality life than all of them.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:38 AM

30 posts, read 44,712 times
Hot blooded Vampire series True blood having supernatural horror drama and everything in it.incredible performance of a guy in this Tv show will attract you surely.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:48 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,800,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
There are several weird factors in play here, and I am not sure if the writers are fully aware of all their implications. (I generally do not have much faith in screenwriters' research diligence. They work for Hollywood.) I guess I'm probably the only practicing Germanic heathen here with a background in WWII historical writing, so maybe I can open some lines of thought.

The emblem shown, in runic terms, is an Eihwaz (symbolizing the yew, and with various other significances rather too deep to explore here) bisected by an Isa (symbolizing ice, freezing and stopping). This glyph is commonly called the 'Swede Trap', generally considered a symbol of warding.

In a more sinister incarnation of our modern day, this emblem is the heart of the symbol of the Aryan Nations, which as you might guess is a white supremacist organization headquartered in northern Idaho (though most Idahoans wish it were not). Theologically, they are affiliated with the Christian Identity movement, an outgrowth of the British Israelite movement. They are anti-Semitic, certainly a hate group. (The vast majority of us Germanic heathens find this abuse of runic symbolism deeply offensive, much as we find the muddled, monstrous paths down which the Nazis liked to imagine they were following their heritage.)

Operation Werewolf was a not entirely (just mostly) unsuccessful plan for a pro-Nazi guerrilla resistance to Allied occupation. While it didn't throw the Allies out of Germany after WWII, obviously, it is not generally known that this movement at least harried the occupation forces for some years with success in a disorganized, localized fashion. The eihwaz/isa combination is also associated with this movement, though sometimes not in exactly the same juxtaposition as one usually sees the Swede Trap.

Thus, there are multiple items in play here. It doesn't explain why Eric and Godric were SS officers, and I am not sure what the writers are getting at. Although I must say that given the history of the Holocaust, it's hard to imagine a more suitable concept than vampires in SS uniforms. I didn't notice precisely whether they were Waffen-SS or Allgemeine-SS uniforms, or some other branch--like most of you, I was too busy watching the show. In fact, I didn't look closely enough to see for sure if they were officers or enlisted. It was an enormous organization with numerous tentacles entwined in German life, venom dripping from them all.
Great information. I'm a history buff myself and though not nearly as versed as you on the topics related to the show I knew enough to put the pieces together of Operation Werewolf and what they were hinting at. Your explanation of the runes meanings was very enlightening.

From what I could tell Eric was wearing a Waffen-SS uniform and Godric was wearing an Allgemeine-SS uniform, which is odd that they wouldn't both be in the same group (or maybe someone just pulled uniforms out of the bin). Also, as far as I could tell Godric was wearing lieutenant (Oberleutnant) insignia. Eric was hard to tell, but I couldn't pick out any officer insignia, so maybe he was enlisted.

I think the writers are trying to tie in the occult angle of the Nazi's. There are many fiction books and games that center on vampires, werewolves and other creatures working for the Nazi's. As you said, what better place than the SS during WW2 if your a vampire?

Not to get too far ahead, but maybe the connection to bring it to modern times (as you referenced the runes current meanings) would be that following WW2, the Nazi vamps and werewolves following the breaking of the Nazi resistance scattered and formed the modern white supremacist movement.

However it ends up I still really enjoy the tie-ins to history and the life of the vampires and their role in world events even if it is Hollywooded up. It adds a nice layer of depth to the show beyond who is killing and sleeping with who.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:59 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,923,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post

The Aryan Nations is a California founded group that is no longer headquartered in Northern Idaho...their California native leader died several years back, the organized group disbanded, and the State of Idaho burned down their compound. Their headquarters is in Potter County, Pennsylvania.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV