Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 07:46 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,216,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
It really doesn't matter I didn't think Leno was that funny I like Letterman but either of them drag me in every night. I understand that Leno will be on at 10;00 that I 'm not sure about. Conan I never found him funny. I will tell who is terrible and that is Jimmy Fallon. Conan/Letterman we will see I think it just who people like. I tend to watch who has someone on that I want to see. Johnny was a icon and Jay Leno is not Carson so the show has not really been the Tonight Show like it was.

And it will be WORST now with Conan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 08:32 PM

568 posts, read 2,427,545 times
I've always liked Leno. He makes me laugh and he's the supreme car guy to boot, which makes him a-ok in my book.

Conan's humor does nothing for me. I get his jokes. I don't find them funny. At least, none of what I could stand to watch.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:40 PM

394 posts, read 1,053,233 times
I adored Carson and tried to watch Leno a few times and simply never found him funny or interesting. I've seen Conan a bit and am excited for him to take over. I think he the show will improve. I recently saw Jimmy Fallon's show and thought it was pretty good - go Jimmy. Craig Ferguson - ugh.

I usually watch Frasier or Corner Gas reruns late at night...

Old 05-30-2009, 10:24 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,055,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Anybody that doesn't gets Conan's humor is an old fart. And we ALL know that old farts usually can't make it past the 11pm news...so the Leno Variety Show at 10pm (starting this fall) will be good for them...kind of like when my grandparents used to watch Lawrence Welk.

Leno stole his best bits from Howard Stern. He always wanted to attract Howard's market and even stole John "The Stutterer" Melendez from him, hoping to pick up some of his market. Poor John...wtf is that guy gonna do now????
Hey! Watch who you're calling an old fart AND I stay up til 3am every night

Old 05-31-2009, 02:05 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,855,373 times
Furious I am not. Disappointed I am. To me every night at 11:30 is automatically time to put on Jay Leno. I used to watch David Letterman but I got tired of it. I can't stand Conan and I hope his version of the show doesn't last. I will watch Jay at 10 and may it be a complete success.

Old 05-31-2009, 02:30 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,720,437 times
Conan sucks. I'm not looking forward to seeing him do more gags about how outlandish his hair looks. His band is awful, his jokes are stale, and his interviews lack interaction...we get it, you have a big red quaff and no jokes. At least Kimmel is still on ABC.

Old 05-31-2009, 02:45 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,761,267 times
Wow, I'm actually quite surprised at this thread. I'm among the younger folks (23), but I've always felt/been told that I have an older style sense of humor. I like Leno, but I think that Conan is much funnier than him. Truth be told, I'd much rather watch Craig Ferguson (that crazy Scottish bastard) than any of them, but Conan is pretty funny, and in my opinion, quite a bit funnier than Letterman or Leno. I watch Leno and Letterman, and I can't help but feel that the gags are scripted and the delivery very perfunctory. When I watch Conan, I at least feel that his jokes are believable, and that he's probably not much different off camera than he is on camera.

For reference, I absolutely can't stand Carlos Mencia or Stephen Colbert.

Old 05-31-2009, 02:57 AM

1,118 posts, read 3,676,845 times
I always thought that nobody could replace Jack Parr, then came Johnny Carson. Of course, nobody could replace him but then came Jay Leno. Life goes on. The audience will decide who will make it and who won't. There used to be a story that Johnny Carson was the greatest addition to birth control in the US. Perhaps, with Conan, there will be a huge increase in the birth rate.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:04 AM

2,377 posts, read 4,345,914 times
I don't find Conan funny, but what makes him unwatchable, imo, is that his emotions never change. He's never sad, pensive, angry, insightful, he's always just goofy and glib, he's one-dimensional. If a Stepford wife was pre-programmed to be a late night talk show host, Conan would be it, he's like a robot. I can't connect with him as a person at all. The perma-happy is just too fake.

I have the same problem with Letterman, but at least Letterman shows a little depth.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:46 AM

4,171 posts, read 10,721,796 times
Ditto on the 'watch who you're calling an old fart' comment!

I prefer Graham Norton... he's a 10 on the "Whoop Whoop" scale!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV