Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2009, 08:07 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,165,094 times

Advertisements

This show is cringewothy! I've been inside a hoarder's house before... it was insane. And I'm the polar opposite of a hoarder - I hate having stuff and detest mess. Obviously hoarders suffer from mental illness and most never get, or can afford the healthcare needed to deal with it. It's a shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 08:25 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,250,771 times
I just watched last night's show online. Holy cow! Two dead cats somewhere in that garbage house? I'm betting If the daughter Susan isn't the crap police, it will get just the same.

I can't believe Augustine showed no emotions or gratitude for anything! WTH happens to people to live like that? It is totally disgusting! I would think with OCD, people would throw things away pronto! "But for the Grace of God..." I suppose.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:16 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,910,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I just watched last night's show online. Holy cow! Two dead cats somewhere in that garbage house? I'm betting If the daughter Susan isn't the crap police, it will get just the same.

I can't believe Augustine showed no emotions or gratitude for anything! WTH happens to people to live like that? It is totally disgusting! I would think with OCD, people would throw things away pronto! "But for the Grace of God..." I suppose.
Just think about being her two kids. The daughter was in her twenties taking care of the little brother.

What did the OCD psychologist say, that people like that can live in filth and not smell anything bad or see anything?

And the daughter cannot get along with the mother well enough to have her live with her.

I cannot watch any of those Hoarders shows before dinner, or I lose my appetite. My boyfriend has difficulty watching the show because his sister-in-law is a hoarder - one house is paid for and filled up with junk and now the brother and sister-in-law moved to a new house and are working on filling that one up, too.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:57 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,606,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy S in PBC View Post
This show is cringewothy! I've been inside a hoarder's house before... it was insane. And I'm the polar opposite of a hoarder - I hate having stuff and detest mess. Obviously hoarders suffer from mental illness and most never get, or can afford the healthcare needed to deal with it. It's a shame.
Yep but the polar opposite which would be OCD with cleanliness rituals can also be considered a mental illness. I have a relative who was in agony over it and got some help. I feel sorry for the two siblings depicted in last nights show. When the son talked about running a fan to drown out the roach noise and that they crawled over him I was wondering why the authorities didn't step in much sooner. Thankfully it looks like he turned out ok.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:52 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,491,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillz View Post
I lived underneath a hoarder in an apt once. No one had any idea until the landlord had to go in for an emergency. The tenant was evicted and her family spent DAYS tossing trash and who knows what else out of the place. If you looked at this woman, you would have had no clue.
I so feel your pain. I used to live downstairs from a guy who had some sort of a head injury. He had stuff in sacks and bags literally five feet deep, leaving only corridors through his apartment. Gods only knew what it was. Miserable [term for the female canine] of a landlady wouldn't do a thing about it despite the obvious fire hazard. He'd pour out liquids on his little balcony without thinking if someone might be below him trying to read or somesuch. (The Shoreline afternoon rang more than once with volleys of profanity over that.) One time he was walking around nude in the hallway, either not knowing or not caring about the little girls walking up and down it. (My Mexican immigrant friends on his floor actually came to me to ask me if this was considered okay. I reassured them that it wasn't.)

As for the show, I can't watch it. I have a crazy mother who does even stupider things than you'll see on the show, and it's just too irritating.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:20 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,379,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I was watching Augustine and at some point realized that she showed no emotion or affect of any kind. I then realized that she really reminded me of my mother. For about a year, while mother was living on her own, my sister and I would get so angry at her for the very same lack of affect. There would be a blankness in her face. Nothing fazed her. We finally moved her from west Texas to the Dallas area to be near us. She didn't want to live with either one of us (Thank God!) so we found an extremely nice assisted living arrangement that I would not have minded living in, myself. $6,000 a month. Mother can afford it but that's not the issue. Just how many folks can afford that? Augustine can't and neither can her kids. Heck, I couldn't afford it. That was in June 2008. She got worse with the lack of emotion. She was diagnosed with dementia and Alzheimer's this last March. She is still in the same location but is now in the "Memory Care Unit" (AKA Alzheimer's unit). I believe that is what Augustine has. I think she suffers from dementia. She shows no emotion and her affect is totally empty. Her kids had to nearly scream at her to get her to thank the movers and cleaners and the nice guys who bought her a new chair. She must have been going downhill for years. She's 20 years younger than my mother.

I feel so sorry for Susan, the daughter. She loves her mother but does not like her and, frankly, what is there to like? I was really pleased that all those workers were able to clean out that worse-than-a-pig-sty house. I was getting sick to my stomach seeing all that filth. The hoarding is bad enough but the filth was too much to tolerate. Imagine being brought up in a place like that. The son really seems to have made a life for himself. Thank God he had a 27 year old sis who could and would take him in when he was in the 8th grade. That poor kid.

I really must say that it is very difficult to deal with folks who have dementia. It's particularly bad when it is a parent. For so long my sister and I thought that mother just didn't give a damn about us. Imagine telling your mother "I've just been diagnosed with diabetes" and her only reply is "Hmmm. Go get me a frapuccino from the fridge." Dumb, I know, but you expect your mother to care about you. For the last couple of years my sister and I have gotten an "I don't care" attitude from our mother. We now know it is dementia/Alzheimers. That does not make it any easier to deal with even though it's been building for years.

Augustine is very, very ill and she has no clue that she is. She thinks that she is 100% okay. Perhaps that is a blessing for her but it sure is the pits for her kids. I would not wish that on anyone. I love cats. I can't imagine what those two dead kitties went through before they died.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:10 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,079,585 times
This show is like a train wreck - no matter how gross you just have to look.

It's really horrifying that people can live like this - with dead animals and rotting food under all the garbage in the house.

The woman that hoarded food was scary - she actually didn't think that it was bad to eat things that were way past the expiration date.

It's especially sad when there are kids involved. What an awful kind of life for them.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:33 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,286,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
Just think about being her two kids. The daughter was in her twenties taking care of the little brother.

What did the OCD psychologist say, that people like that can live in filth and not smell anything bad or see anything?

And the daughter cannot get along with the mother well enough to have her live with her.

I cannot watch any of those Hoarders shows before dinner, or I lose my appetite. My boyfriend has difficulty watching the show because his sister-in-law is a hoarder - one house is paid for and filled up with junk and now the brother and sister-in-law moved to a new house and are working on filling that one up, too.
I had a friend growing up whose mother was a hoarder and their house stunk. It smelled so bad that I could smell it on my friend when he was at school. People tell me that our house smells really good, but I don't smell the "good smell". I guess you just get used to the smell in your house and don't notice it.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:07 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,338,327 times
I think there are more people around us like this than we think there are. I guess it starts out just keeping a lot of stuff....and then eventually they keep everything. They consider themselves 'pack rats'....but that isn't true. It is a serious disorder that is nauseating. I still think it must stem from some sort of fear of being without that could probably be traced to their childhood.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:11 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,898,154 times
Yeah, I watched it. There's definitely something wrong with Ms. Augustine. Or anybody who lives like that, there's so mental issues or something there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV