Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2009, 08:25 AM

943 posts, read 2,283,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shymonkey View Post
unfortunately i don't have to watch the show...i am a hoarder.
Are you in a situation as bad as shown on that show? Have you been able to get help?

One thing I know I could have the propensity to hoard myself. It has affected all those family members. Fortunately my parents were healthy inm that way and I did not grow up in it. My apt is considered "cluttered" but floors are cleared off.

Hope you can get help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I think there are other shows that just kind of clean the junk out but this one focuses a bit more on the pathology (though not enough) of the illness. It should be more in depth because it's a little confusing due to the time constraints involved. These people cannot just pick out a few things to keep because they have emotional attachments to everything. An old cup = an heirloom chair. If you take the cup they can go into severe anxiety/panic and freeze up or get physically sick. Then they won't go back to the cleaning project because they know it will happen again. Their brains are affected but there isn't an effective medication yet to control it. I'm surprised how many people have the problem, I've seen it just going down the street looking at houses- with heaps of junk in sheds, garages and inside the house piled up covering the windows.
I cant figure that out, it did seem to affect a lot of them. On another thread I was talking about society growing colder and social disconnection. I wonder if some people are dealing with it by getting attached to "things" since there are no people around. With all the hoarders, with a few exceptions, there seems to have been severe lonlieness and social disengagment. I think they overwhelm them and the easist thing would be is to have them choose out all the needed possessions, you do not want to throw out someones entire wardrobe and then clean the place for them. Most of those people are phsyically ill and it seemed the big clean up operations were even beyond their physical stamina. The depressed ones, even coming up with that much energy seemed impossible.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:13 AM

7,004 posts, read 21,353,794 times
I used to be a car parts hoarder. I would save avery little screw, washer, wire out of a car. I had the thought in my mind that if I would have thrown a measly washer away the next day I would probably need it.
I got over that thought and threw everything away, the next day I ended up needing a few screws and washers for a job I was doing. Sheesh!

Old 11-11-2009, 10:19 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,006,592 times
I might be showing some signs of hoarding.

But then again it might not be, because I got fed up and tossed 2 bags of stuff over the last 2 days, and I have a lot more to go- mainly clothes. I felt like I opened up so much space in my bedroom. I feel it a waste to toss clothes. I guess that's how I was raised. With 11 kids, I'm sure my parent's, especially my mother's conservation instinct has passed on to me.

I'm on a simplifying mission right now. I don't need all the 'stuff'.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:20 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,006,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
I used to be a car parts hoarder. I would save avery little screw, washer, wire out of a car. I had the thought in my mind that if I would have thrown a measly washer away the next day I would probably need it.
I got over that thought and threw everything away, the next day I ended up needing a few screws and washers for a job I was doing. Sheesh!
LOL that's how I am man.

My father could open a mini-home depot he has soo many tools down his basement.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Thats happened to me. I was looking for a book, I wanted to read again but realize I had gotten rid of it...SIGH....

Old 11-12-2009, 05:18 PM

536 posts, read 1,110,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheredoIlive? View Post
Are you in a situation as bad as shown on that show? Have you been able to get help?

One thing I know I could have the propensity to hoard myself. It has affected all those family members. Fortunately my parents were healthy inm that way and I did not grow up in it. My apt is considered "cluttered" but floors are cleared off.

Hope you can get help.
i'm not to the point where they could do a show about me but i am very overwhelmed. i keep thinking if i had the money to fix things up i would have better storage and areas to display my "treasures". i can tell you my one son doesn't come here and i don't blame him
hopefully i'll be able to do something to get motivated and cleaned up!!!

Old 11-13-2009, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
I might be showing some signs of hoarding.

But then again it might not be, because I got fed up and tossed 2 bags of stuff over the last 2 days, and I have a lot more to go- mainly clothes. I felt like I opened up so much space in my bedroom. I feel it a waste to toss clothes. I guess that's how I was raised. With 11 kids, I'm sure my parent's, especially my mother's conservation instinct has passed on to me.

I'm on a simplifying mission right now. I don't need all the 'stuff'.
Keep up the good work. I think less stuff would be better for many people. I need to get rid of some junk.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shymonkey View Post
i'm not to the point where they could do a show about me but i am very overwhelmed. i keep thinking if i had the money to fix things up i would have better storage and areas to display my "treasures". i can tell you my one son doesn't come here and i don't blame him
hopefully i'll be able to do something to get motivated and cleaned up!!!
Yeah I know lackl of money makes it hard. I have all these plastic bins I store things in. Could you buy some of those to organize?

Old 11-13-2009, 08:26 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,057,000 times
My daughter has OCD and she is a hoarder. I worry about how her house/apartment will look when she gets older. I'm always the one who has to go through her room to throw stuff out, because she won't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV