Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2011, 09:36 AM

23,900 posts, read 33,655,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Is animal hoarding a qualifier for disability these days?
Sorry to side track but your post reminded me of my pet peeve- in addition; do they have a handicapped parking permit?

I can't begin to write about how many people I see use the tag that pretty much "run" into a store. Makes me mad when I see someone with a lift van not able to park because of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 01:38 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,039,005 times
On many of the shows I've watched these people had jobs or had retired from jobs. One man used to stop at the dump on his way to work and home from work. Another lady traveled a lot with her job so had no time to clean her house. One was a nurse. One worked and inherited a bunch of crap from her mother that she couldn't let go of. One old guy spent his entire paycheck on feeding cats to make his wife happy. He wanted to retire, but he couldn't because of the cats.

I don't think this disorder has anything to do with someone having a job or not.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:28 PM

8,066 posts, read 10,663,423 times
Well, I guess I missed the episodes where the animal hoarder had a job. I've seen shows with people who hoarded CLUTTER and had jobs, but every time I've caught the animal hoarder show, it seems I never hear mention of a job.

The other thing I notice is that there always seems to be an "enabler" spouse, significant other, or family relative who somehow has no qualms with continuing to put up with "sweet-ums" little animal collection, no matter the havoc it has cast on their own personal life and well-being. Sad, sad, situation.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:19 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,386,521 times
Some one rep'ed me but didn't include a name, and asked that I post a link to the on line forum (support group) but I'm not sure that's allowed by CD.

So if you send me a PM I can let you know the info.

By the way today is day 47 of my efforts to eliminating chaos and creating a pleasant home and tomorrow I am hosting a Valentine's Day brunch for a dozen friends.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:53 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,440,278 times
Good for you, Zugor, it's an ongoing process, am sure everyone will have a super time!

Old 02-14-2011, 05:50 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,767,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Sorry to side track but your post reminded me of my pet peeve- in addition; do they have a handicapped parking permit?

I can't begin to write about how many people I see use the tag that pretty much "run" into a store. Makes me mad when I see someone with a lift van not able to park because of it.
Oh how that burns me to the core to see that. I also hate it when the spouse uses it with or without the handicapped spouse in the car. It should be for the handicapped person who's driving and going into the store...not for the spouse who's driving and going into the store or wherever they are going to.

Another thing I hate is when the supposedly handicapped person gets out of the car wearing high heels!! I made a comment to a woman about her wearing high heels when I saw her running out of the car in the parking lot after parking in the handicapped parking spot and she come out with well I have a bad back...I'm like well you shouldn't be wearing high heels then. She gives me a smile like yeah so and runs off. argh! I have a bad back and trouble walking and I don't dare wear high heels or have a handicapped sticker/license plate.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:22 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,432,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Sounds like I'm in for a "treat". I have it DVR'd but haven't watched it yet.

I too have noticed that most of these hoarders don't work, have a disability of some sort - real or imagined, and that there is always an enabler lurking in the rubbish.

I continue to watch the show because I am still in "shock and awe" that people actually live this way.

I know they are disturbed or mentally ill or whatever, but I still want to bust through my TV and beat the hell out of some of these damn people! Especially the ones who have forced their children to live in the squalor. They value all that junk, trash, and crap above their family members, and when they pull that sh*t on the kids, that's just unacceptable, and these people need a good *ss-whuppin'!

Here's a thought - wouldn't it be better, instead of keeping the hoarder hanging around, to send him or her off to a spa or something for a makeover, while the crew cleans the house? Things would get done so much faster and without the drama and hassles. But then ... I guess we wouldn't have a show to keep us entertained and I wouldn't be in "shock and awe" anymore!

Do any of you also watch Intervention? There's another show where I just wanna beat people up! The solutions seem so simple, yet people just can't function and continue to enable or allow the addictions. Most of the time I just want to slap the enablers silly!
Are you sure you watch the show? The hoarder doesn't want to part with their stuff and certainly won't go to a spa knowing that people are going to be touching their things and making decisions about the value of their things and what they should and should not keep of their things. The hoarder needs to go through the process of letting go of the stuff.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:38 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,074,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Are you sure you watch the show? The hoarder doesn't want to part with their stuff and certainly won't go to a spa knowing that people are going to be touching their things and making decisions about the value of their things and what they should and should not keep of their things. The hoarder needs to go through the process of letting go of the stuff.
No, I'm not sure!

I get that the hoarder doesn't want to let go of his/her "stuff". But having them dawdle for days on end about what to keep and what to throw away doesn't seem to be doing any good. It stresses everybody out - the hoarder included - and is counter-productive. The hoarder's treatment would progress much faster if they weren't even involved in the decision making process. Just remove him/her from the equation and get the place cleaned up. Deal with the counseling AFTER all the crap is gone!

Old 02-15-2011, 06:27 AM

23,900 posts, read 33,655,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofaname View Post
Oh how that burns me to the core to see that. I also hate it when the spouse uses it with or without the handicapped spouse in the car. It should be for the handicapped person who's driving and going into the store...not for the spouse who's driving and going into the store or wherever they are going to.

Another thing I hate is when the supposedly handicapped person gets out of the car wearing high heels!! I made a comment to a woman about her wearing high heels when I saw her running out of the car in the parking lot after parking in the handicapped parking spot and she come out with well I have a bad back...I'm like well you shouldn't be wearing high heels then. She gives me a smile like yeah so and runs off. argh! I have a bad back and trouble walking and I don't dare wear high heels or have a handicapped sticker/license plate.
I have a bad back too; I can't even wear regular low shoes or sneakers; I like in slipper moccs.

I've pulled in & parked to have people tell me it's handicapped; I tell them I am & get out with my cane. Guess they're shocked cause I look young.

My hub wouldn't dare use it without me.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:35 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,767,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I have a bad back too; I can't even wear regular low shoes or sneakers; I like in slipper moccs.

I've pulled in & parked to have people tell me it's handicapped; I tell them I am & get out with my cane. Guess they're shocked cause I look young.

My hub wouldn't dare use it without me.
I wear the loafer flats. They are a lot like moccasins but just called flat loafers. I have to be honest with you and tell you I think it's wrong for your husband to use the handicapped parking space even with you only if he is the one driving and getting out of the care but not you. That's my second biggest beef is when people who aren't handicapped use it when the handicapped person doesn't even when in the car with them. If you are getting out of the car with him that's different because you need it but if not then I say save the space for the handicapped person who needs it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV