Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2011, 02:06 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,038,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I think I am more concerned about the hoarders that DO have jobs!
Anyone else finding themselves wondering about their hairdresser, the ladies working the cafeteria lunch lines, or the nice lady at the consignment shop, after having watched an episode of hoarders?
Yes, I am too. I have a friend who is a hoarder and he works. Adult Protective Services cannot help him BECAUSE HE WORKS. If he was elderly/ disabled they could help him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 04:36 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,643,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I get that the hoarder doesn't want to let go of his/her "stuff". But having them dawdle for days on end about what to keep and what to throw away doesn't seem to be doing any good. It stresses everybody out - the hoarder included - and is counter-productive. The hoarder's treatment would progress much faster if they weren't even involved in the decision making process. Just remove him/her from the equation and get the place cleaned up. Deal with the counseling AFTER all the crap is gone!
If other people clean it out for them they never progress, they will just fill the place right back up. Part of the process is confronting the anxiety, learning to separate their emotions from useless objects, figuring out how they got so entangled in the first place. It's painful, and it's slow, and there are no shortcuts. Therapy for hoarders only seems to be effective when they personally deal with sorting through their crap and learning to let go of stuff. They don't have a learning experience when the junk truck pulls up and all their stuff gets thrown out without their input - they mourn for that lost stuff and seek to replace it. It's different when they have stood there with an item and decided of their own free will to let it go. That is the liberating moment that gets the ball rolling, that's what they really need - to experience that pain and come out the other side ready to let go of something that is only weighing them down, feeling the sense of freedom from letting go of that item which leads them to let go of the next item and the next... no one can do that for them, they've got to learn to do it themselves or they will never recover.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:50 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,070,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
If other people clean it out for them they never progress, they will just fill the place right back up. Part of the process is confronting the anxiety, learning to separate their emotions from useless objects, figuring out how they got so entangled in the first place. It's painful, and it's slow, and there are no shortcuts. Therapy for hoarders only seems to be effective when they personally deal with sorting through their crap and learning to let go of stuff. They don't have a learning experience when the junk truck pulls up and all their stuff gets thrown out without their input - they mourn for that lost stuff and seek to replace it. It's different when they have stood there with an item and decided of their own free will to let it go. That is the liberating moment that gets the ball rolling, that's what they really need - to experience that pain and come out the other side ready to let go of something that is only weighing them down, feeling the sense of freedom from letting go of that item which leads them to let go of the next item and the next... no one can do that for them, they've got to learn to do it themselves or they will never recover.
I doubt a lot of them "recover" anyway. I'm sure that once they decide to let something go, they are out the same or the next day, replacing what they just got rid of.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:51 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,102,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I remember that dude! Young guy. Wasn't his dad hiding booze in every cabinet in the house too? But I do remember all the pet hair on the staircase and all over the carpet.

I saw the update from that episode. It was amazing. Dad got help for his drinking.. He was actually likable and looked great. the house was clean, and the young boy was so much happier.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:56 PM

806 posts, read 2,343,862 times
Since that show, I have definitely been able to tell which houses are hoarders in my neighborhood.. There are waaay too many.. I just want to pull over and help them..

I even see cars filled with junk in the goodwill parking lot.. WHYYYYYYY!?!?!?!?!

Old 03-01-2011, 01:14 PM

52,724 posts, read 34,643,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
I used to be a car parts hoarder. I would save avery little screw, washer, wire out of a car. I had the thought in my mind that if I would have thrown a measly washer away the next day I would probably need it.
I got over that thought and threw everything away, the next day I ended up needing a few screws and washers for a job I was doing. Sheesh!
boy does that sound familiar. the above is one of my primary reasons for being a pack-rat: i've often regretted getting rid of something, but the only times i've regretted not getting rid of something was when i've had to move it

Old 03-01-2011, 09:55 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,896,166 times
I accidentally threw away the wire connector thing that kept my mattress set from crashing to the floor.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:30 AM

52,724 posts, read 34,643,570 times
yikes. how's this for a hoarders episode?

Quote:
Gladys Jean Bergmeier was known by her neighbors to be a pack rat who filled her house with plants and plastic bags stuffed with a mix of important papers and trash. Outdated newspapers and magazines were piled throughout her house in the 9200 block of Catalina Drive.

Nearly three weeks after the 75-year-old was found dead on Feb. 7, a relative found the unthinkable among the rubbish: the mummified remains of an elderly woman, presumably Bergmeier's long-unseen mother, Gladys Stansbury.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:04 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,102,454 times
jeesh... I feel sorry for the relative who found her...

Old 05-02-2011, 09:03 PM

910 posts, read 1,678,841 times
Has anyone heard of if/when the next season starts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV