Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 02:46 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,029,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I love how people talk as if they live next door to the Duggars.

Hahahaha!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 07:59 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
I do not think they are supposed to be self supporting at 18. The older daughters are over 18.
Right, the girls are supposed to keep their mouths shut, do what daddy tells them, raise the younger children, and then be handed off from daddy owning them to a husband owning them and immediately starting to crank out dozens of mindless little religious drones to propagate the 'quiver'.

There are very few women these days that would actually choose that sort of lifestyle unless they have been raised in it from birth and brainwashed to believe it's their only option.

Also, with that many children, statistics say that at least two of them are gay. Imagine the self-loathing that is going on in the minds of those children, knowing that you are different and expecting that by prayer and hard work you can 'get better'. The problems that gay teens have in normal families can be huge. How much more difficult will it be for those gay children in that family?

I feel so sorry for those kids.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:54 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,183,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
For whoever was wondering about one of the girls going down a different path, thats already happened. I read where their oldest girl doesn't live with them because she was a little wild, maybe.

just curious where you may have read this???

Old 10-12-2009, 12:59 AM

3,943 posts, read 6,374,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
just curious where you may have read this???
I was trying to find an article on it, and I think I made a mistake! It must have been on another reality show, because, I've been here straining my brain on this, and can't think of the reality show it was on. It has to be one of the others that have numerous kids. I think it was on the one that showed a few times where they celebrated the kids birthdays all together. Does anyone remember that one? They actually had the daughter on there once. My apologies to all.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:24 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,671,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Right, the girls are supposed to keep their mouths shut, do what daddy tells them, raise the younger children, and then be handed off from daddy owning them to a husband owning them and immediately starting to crank out dozens of mindless little religious drones to propagate the 'quiver'.

There are very few women these days that would actually choose that sort of lifestyle unless they have been raised in it from birth and brainwashed to believe it's their only option.

Also, with that many children, statistics say that at least two of them are gay. Imagine the self-loathing that is going on in the minds of those children, knowing that you are different and expecting that by prayer and hard work you can 'get better'. The problems that gay teens have in normal families can be huge. How much more difficult will it be for those gay children in that family?

Wow...Good to see YOU know what is best for people!!! Not sure that attitude is much different than that of the people who oppose homosexuality for no reason other than their own personal misconceptions. Stastically roughly 10% of males are homosexual in the U S however that doesn't mean one in EVERY ten males born to ONE mother is homosexual AND they don't even have 20 sons (yet). Lesbians make up an even smaller percentage of the population. Sorry.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:09 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:

I don't agree with their lifestyle either but that's a bit of an extreme assumption.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:32 AM

437 posts, read 1,071,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
I do not think they are supposed to be self supporting at 18. The older daughters are over 18. I think what they said is that when Josh got married he was on his own. I think the reason his pregnant wife was on all those shows is so he could get money from the show too.

Of course they ALL get money from the show, not just whatever per episode payment TLC makes (and yes, they make one, that's why people want to bare their lives for the nation, to earn the almighty dollar), but also for PRODUCT PLACEMENT.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:36 AM

990 posts, read 1,726,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar are grandparents now. Josh and Anna Duggar had a baby girl, Mackynzie Renee Duggar, first Duggar grandchild, born at 6:39 PM on Thursday, October 8, weighing 8 pounds and 19 and a half inches long.
They have already been on the Today Show. They don't waste any time.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:38 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I don't agree with their lifestyle either but that's a bit of an extreme assumption.
I'm assuming nothing, I'm basing my opinion on statistical facts and personal experience with this type of religious extremism. How about you?

Old 10-12-2009, 08:48 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
I'm assuming nothing, I'm basing my opinion on statistical facts and personal experience with this type of religious extremism. How about you?
There are all kinds of extremism....some religious and some not. Even within that there are different levels.....these kids seem very aware of life outside their world. I don't see that they are forced to do all of this against their will (any more than kids are forced to do things in any family). Some of the older girls do hair and makeup stuff, their cousin (who is clearly not raised the same way) is welcomed into their home and doesn't seem forced to behave a certain way while she's there (or condemned)....Just because someone has religious beliefs, doesn't make them inherently bad/abusive....Like I (and many other posters) have said, not OUR cup of tea but if they are happy then who cares?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV