Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 03:04 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,951,231 times

Advertisements

Gen Xer here. I've never found Jay Leno funny- he usually comes across as mean-spirited, fake, and dated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 03:48 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,277,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Gen Xer here. I've never found Jay Leno funny- he usually comes across as mean-spirited, fake, and dated.
Good for you, kiddo!

Old 01-22-2010, 06:20 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,572,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticatica View Post
Why wasn't he number 1 at 10 pm??? He's been number one over another baby boomer comedian. He and Conan have NOT gone head to head. Face it, his time is done now.
apples and oranges, and besides, NBC knew it was going to be tough going as that format of show hadn't been on TV in decades. But if didn't matter as the show was cheap to produce , just like reality t.v., and they were willing to live with it.

or perhaps I should whine that they "didn't give him enough time at 9:00 to work his magic" just you all the Conan defenders?

It was a way to keep Leno from going to antoher network, you know, the whole reason they made this switch in the first place, after prodding from the "angel" Conan that he'd leave if not given the Tonight Show.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:24 PM

6,024 posts, read 15,385,952 times
hmm, was listening to a podcast w/ some TV folks talking about this, and the topic of online media came up. I wonder if Conan's new contract specifies anything about new media? NBC seems to have an issues w/ seeing into the future, so they may not have thought of this angle. Fallon used it to his advantage before he started out, maybe Conan could use it to his until Sept rolls around. it's no secret that Conan's demo is mostly composed of younger people who are already acquainted w/ new media. I'm sure his people, if it wasn't prohibited in his contract, are already talking about this, but it could be a viable possibility

Old 01-22-2010, 10:03 PM

3,321 posts, read 4,152,360 times
NBC created late night TV, it finds talent and spits it out for all the world to enjoy. How many careers did Lorne Michaels and Johnny Carson build ? I hope NBC doesn't go down, part of the reason for what happened is NBC is going broke and they wanted to save a buck and it failed. They have lost HUNDREDS of MILLIONS on this fiasco, think of all the lost ad revenue over the past months, money they spent on the studio(s), Conan's severance pay, and they don't have any hit shows in their prime time lineup to make up for it. Yeah I'm mad at NBC for what happened but I hope people can keep things in perspective.

Moving hosts from the stoner slot to the more mainstream slot does not work too well. The later slot is always going to be more relaxed from the censors and when these hosts move to the earlier slot and can't take all their bits with them, something is lost. Letterman was great at NBC, Late night thrill cam, TV's tossed off buildings, Nerf Casket, his show was fun to watch and I think NBC usually has better writers for it's late night lineup. When he moved to CBS his monologue went downhill and got more stupid, he started filling in too much of the show with time killer bits, man in a bear suit, Sirajul and Mujiber, hanging out at the sandwitch shop, zzzzzzzzzz. Sometime in there I started watching Jay and noticed how much better the Monologue was, the jokes actually had some wit to them and Jay's cruel streak in his humor could get a laugh out of me, so I switched to Jay except for the nights Jay was gone or in re-runs. The monologue and comedy bits are what I like to see the most in any of these shows, I tune out for the rest unless there is a guest I really want to see. Dave and Conan can get more milage out of the guests than Jay, with Jay being just Ok in that respect. He tries not to show us he's just as bored with some of the guests as the audience is, but it comes out sometimes.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:34 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,722,975 times
Conan's last show yesterday was outstanding, IMO! His speech was heart-felt and classy. I'll follow him no matter where he ends up....

Old 01-23-2010, 08:30 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,277,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
Conan's last show yesterday was outstanding, IMO! His speech was heart-felt and classy. I'll follow him no matter where he ends up....
I feel the same way about last night's show. He's a good guitarist too, come to see! Who'dathunk? I've been thinking maybe I should have given him more time to "grow on me"! I had to LOL about him having to tell the "most expensive" bit was a joke. I thought it was real but I guess others were bit*hing about it on the internet. I thought it was hilarious. Loved the montage of "the greatest" moments. Loved Tom Hanks' recollections of Conan in the boiler room of SNL too. Those sideburns were priceless.

I bet Conan blew the top off the ratings last night. I'll be watching his first show when he lands where ever it is he will land. I now wish him the best even though 32 million should help the "suffering"!

Old 01-23-2010, 08:31 AM

768 posts, read 946,349 times
Late night humor is worse than wedding humor. Anything dumbed down enough to be palatable for the masses, and this applies roughly to all facets of life, will surely suck.

You want comedy, check out Doug Stanhope.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:54 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,722,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I feel the same way about last night's show. He's a good guitarist too, come to see! Who'dathunk? I've been thinking maybe I should have given him more time to "grow on me"! I had to LOL about him having to tell the "most expensive" bit was a joke. I thought it was real but I guess others were bit*hing about it on the internet. I thought it was hilarious. Loved the montage of "the greatest" moments. Loved Tom Hanks' recollections of Conan in the boiler room of SNL too. Those sideburns were priceless.

I bet Conan blew the top off the ratings last night. I'll be watching his first show when he lands where ever it is he will land. I now wish him the best even though 32 million should help the "suffering"!
It was cool seeing him play guitar. He looked like he was having a blast. Can't wait to see where he ends up. I think out of all the late night hosts, he has the best interview style with guests. I think he's just a funny, goofy guy....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV