Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2010, 12:32 PM

5,564 posts, read 7,172,335 times

Advertisements

Well the gay women I know prefer to be called Gay Women! Not Lesbians
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 12:35 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,855,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Well the gay women I know prefer to be called Gay Women! Not Lesbians

ok, that's cool; but why did you ask about the term homosexual?

Old 04-14-2010, 12:39 PM

14,860 posts, read 43,023,360 times
Quote:
You did not read my question
I said if two gay men were racing and they were mean, would you refer to them as "the homosexuals"?
I read your question.
Maybe YOU missed reading everyones answers to you.

It doesn't matter if they are mean, nice, super sweet, goofballs, dimwits, whiners, complainers, etc. If someone has a "schtick" that is what moniker is used. Does it REALLY matter to you that the term "gay" is used in place of "homosexual" when refering to a team that happens to be gay. This is an INFORMAL CHAT SITE! People use these terms LOOSELY to describe these teams and everyone knows who each is talking about just by using those terms.

Seriously, what is your beef with people referring to them as "the lesbians"? Did you have as much problem w/ "the lesbians" and anyone else calling "the Cowboys" that. There are a LOT more people out there in this big'ol world that believe the term "cowboy" to be a lot more "offensive" and use it in a bad light than the term "lesbian". Do you have as much of a problem with that? Does it REALLY matter to you that much that we should refer to them as "homosexual" over "gay". Geeeeeez

Did someone wake up on the wrong side of the bed or what..........

Old 04-14-2010, 12:44 PM

14,860 posts, read 43,023,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
ok, that's cool; but why did you ask about the term homosexual?
I usually call the people I know by their name......... maybe I'm just weird that way. Don't care if they are hetro, gay, lesbian, purple, green, etc. I call them by their name. They don't call me, "the white married biotch"
Don't really know anyone of any sexual orientation that actually PREFERS to be introduced as "the homosexual couple", "the gay couple", "the lesbian couple", "the married couple", etc.

We are afterall talking about a REALITY TV SHOW on an informal chat site!!! Something that from the very first episode each team has had some kind of "term" used for describing them in such settings and even on the show the other teams have referred to these terms as the "team names". Why all of a sudden one person wants to get it up their craw that all of a sudden it is offensive ONLY to call this one team by that "team name" is kind of funny and sad in a way. Notice they are not too concerned about any of the other teams "names" that can be construed in a bad light.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I usually call the people I know by their name......... maybe I'm just weird that way. Don't care if they are hetro, gay, lesbian, purple, green, etc. I call them by their name. They don't call me, "the white married biotch"
Don't really know anyone of any sexual orientation that actually PREFERS to be introduced as "the homosexual couple", "the gay couple", "the lesbian couple", "the married couple", etc.

We are afterall talking about a REALITY TV SHOW on an informal chat site!!! Something that from the very first episode each team has had some kind of "term" used for describing them in such settings and even on the show the other teams have referred to these terms as the "team names". Why all of a sudden one person wants to get it up their craw that all of a sudden it is offensive ONLY to call this one team by that "team name" is kind of funny and sad in a way. Notice they are not too concerned about any of the other teams "names" that can be construed in a bad light.
yep, I too see no reason to be all politically correct on this forum. Especially since I feel it was their gimmick to get on the show. They may not even be lesbians. I can actually picture either of them going up and down the street,approaching anyone who would stop and saying "Amazing Race is taking auditions....wanna go with me? We can say we're lesbians" or "hey wanna go try out for Amazing Race with me? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese. We need a gimmick though-hey let's say we're life partners" or "will someone,anyone please go with me to the try outs for Amazing Race??? Come on--surely someone will! Hey-you-how about you?"

so as for terms or team names--it's like hey if you put yourself out there,in front of the cameras for everyone in the world to see--then be ready for any good or bad press.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:42 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,296,967 times
I'm very sad that a person can not use the word "gay" for meaning happy anymore. Shouldn't this conversation end now? The lesbians are gone and good riddance to those nasty, nasty women.

All in favor say "AYE"! lol

Old 04-14-2010, 02:54 PM

5,564 posts, read 7,172,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I read your question.
Maybe YOU missed reading everyones answers to you.

It doesn't matter if they are mean, nice, super sweet, goofballs, dimwits, whiners, complainers, etc. If someone has a "schtick" that is what moniker is used. Does it REALLY matter to you that the term "gay" is used in place of "homosexual" when refering to a team that happens to be gay. This is an INFORMAL CHAT SITE! People use these terms LOOSELY to describe these teams and everyone knows who each is talking about just by using those terms.

Seriously, what is your beef with people referring to them as "the lesbians"? Did you have as much problem w/ "the lesbians" and anyone else calling "the Cowboys" that. There are a LOT more people out there in this big'ol world that believe the term "cowboy" to be a lot more "offensive" and use it in a bad light than the term "lesbian". Do you have as much of a problem with that? Does it REALLY matter to you that much that we should refer to them as "homosexual" over "gay". Geeeeeez

Did someone wake up on the wrong side of the bed or what..........
Let me spell it out for you as you obviously can't figure it out.

The terms Homosexual and Lesbians are not politically correct terms when referring to Gay People. You call them gay! Thats it!
You don't call them homosexual and you don't call them lesbians!

And please don't compare Cowboys to Lesbians, you're only making a fool of yourself!

Old 04-14-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Let me spell it out for you as you obviously can't figure it out.

The terms Homosexual and Lesbians are not politically correct terms when referring to Gay People. You call them gay! Thats it!
You don't call them homosexual and you don't call them lesbians!

And please don't compare Cowboys to Lesbians, you're only making a fool of yourself!

could you tell us where you gained such expertise on this subject?
I have never,ever heard such BS in my life.
I hesitate to even do so but feel the urge to tell you that there is another term used in the gay community--Lipstick Lesbian

Last edited by PippySkiddles; 04-14-2010 at 03:29 PM..

Old 04-14-2010, 03:05 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,154,916 times
Quote:
You did not read my question
I said if two gay men were racing and they were mean, would you refer to them as "the homosexuals"?
I would refer to them as the Gay Couple unless there was something else about them to call them something else. I would never say "the f*gs" - that would be wrong.

If people were saying "the dykes", I could understand your being offended.

These term are not meant as slurs against the Rainbow Community. There are used simply identification purposes. I was half of an interracial couple and the term "Team Zebra" didn't offend me at all. I knew no one used it to slam the team, it was just an identifier.

You are creating trouble where none exists.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:07 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,154,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
i'm very sad that a person can not use the word "gay" for meaning happy anymore. shouldn't this conversation end now? The lesbians are gone and good riddance to those nasty, nasty women.

All in favor say "aye"! Lol
aye!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV