Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 05:45 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,430,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Somehow? They take the kids away from their parents at an extremely young age and all the kids do is that sport. It's a horrible system.

I only watch certain sports. Ski jumping, cross country skiing, nordic combined, hockey, and figure skating finals.
You know, it didn't hit me until last night, when I watched the long programm and they said that gold medalists had been apart from their families since like what, 13?
I agree, it is a horrible system, borderline emotionally abusive.

I was happy when Chinese won last night. She is 31 and he is 36, it was their last true moment of glory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 10:02 AM

42,088 posts, read 75,591,521 times
Someone needs to tell Scott Hamilton to quit grunting when a skater loses his/her footing.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:57 PM

13,774 posts, read 26,646,591 times
It might be an involuntary thing he can't really do much about.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:20 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,107,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Yeah and it's apparently not just the athletes that get that treatment. I think the story of how their coach was basically estranged from his son and family was intended as a bit disquieting. Also naming his son "far away", as in he was far away from the boy's birth/infancy, just seems like it'd make it worse.

Still if you can shove those issues to the side the Chinese were the best thing to watch. In the free skate Pang and Tong were, perhaps surprisingly, the better pair. It wasn't enough to overcome the short program, where they were fourth, but they really brought it. And the Russians not even being medal-worthy, which they weren't, is possibly devastating for them.
Yeah, but I can't shove those issues off to the side. I can never root for the Chinese. I usually don't even watch pairs because it's so boring. No one really stood out in my opinion. Everyone fell.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:14 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,823,708 times
How come all they ever show is figure skating every night? So lame, they must be showing the good stuff on the other NBC stations I don't get.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:51 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,107,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
How come all they ever show is figure skating every night? So lame, they must be showing the good stuff on the other NBC stations I don't get.
They show what gets viewers. Americans watch figure skating.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:34 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,557,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I have been watching and they are showing Curling, hockey, luge, skiing, snow boarding and speed skating besides figure skating. Many of these have been shown this evening.I think it all depends on when your local channel broadcasts it.

What I do is record it because I am at work during the day's events and continue to record in the evening because I can't sit through all the sport events lasting 3-4 hours. Also when I watch the recordings I can FF through the commercials and sports events I don't want to see.

The Universal Sports Channel which is a part of NBC shows and repeats events at various times. So you really don't have to sit through something you don't like to watch those that you do.

I don't think NBC has the best coverage. I don't like their camera shots on the figure skating. ABC did a much better jpb when they used to show it.

Last edited by Minervah; 02-16-2010 at 11:37 PM.. Reason: added thought

Old 02-17-2010, 06:03 AM

42,088 posts, read 75,591,521 times
Wanderlust, if you have cable, check out MSNBC, USA Network, and CNBC -- all three have been running hockey, curling and other stuff most afternoons and evenings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
It might be an involuntary thing he can't really do much about.
If that's the case, it happens coincidentally whenever a skater makes a misstep.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:35 AM

502 posts, read 1,254,943 times
I'm suffering from "NBC-induced ADD." It would be nice to watch an event from start to finish rather than 10 minutes of one sport, commercials, Bob Costas, then 10 minutes of another sport. Repeat...

Remember when you had to stay up or get up in the middle of the night to watch events LIVE? I hate NBC's prepackaged coverage. It is so artificial.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:58 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,823,708 times
They're showing a lot of snowboarding tonight which is nice. At least they took a break from the 4 hours of figure skating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV