Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 10:27 AM

232 posts, read 677,626 times

Advertisements

I was pretty shocked that Grimm won. I thought he'd come in 2nd. But really, I don't think Jackie really NEEDS to win. She's already going to be a big star (at least in the opera world) so winning would just be icing on the cake IMO. But I think Grimm needed that extra push of the win to help move him further into the spotlight of being a well known name. Time will tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 12:04 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,390,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cold ethyl View Post
I was pretty shocked that Grimm won. I thought he'd come in 2nd. But really, I don't think Jackie really NEEDS to win. She's already going to be a big star (at least in the opera world) so winning would just be icing on the cake IMO. But I think Grimm needed that extra push of the win to help move him further into the spotlight of being a well known name. Time will tell.
In general I agree with you - though I remind folks once again, that Jackie is NOT an opera singer - she is a Classical Crossover singer. In fact of the songs she performed, I believe only ONE (her first) was from an opera. "Time to Say Goodbye" was never performed in an opera and is just a relatively recently produced classical-sounding song in Italian. Likewise Ave Maria didn't originate in an opera either but was a classical peice by the composer Shubert. Same thing is true of Pie Jesu. So, she's not really opera singer. She's never performed in an opera, and maybe never will. SHe occasionally sings a piece from an opera but that's why she fits into the mold of (and considers herself) a Classical Crossover singer (that's what Classical Crossover is).

Ken

Old 09-16-2010, 12:46 PM

232 posts, read 677,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
In general I agree with you - though I remind folks once again, that Jackie is NOT an opera singer - she is a Classical Crossover singer. In fact of the songs she performed, I believe only ONE (her first) was from an opera. "Time to Say Goodbye" was never performed in an opera and is just a relatively recently produced classical-sounding song in Italian. Likewise Ave Maria didn't originate in an opera either but was a classical peice by the composer Shubert. Same thing is true of Pie Jesu. So, she's not really opera singer. She's never performed in an opera, and maybe never will. SHe occasionally sings a piece from an opera but that's why she fits into the mold of (and considers herself) a Classical Crossover singer (that's what Classical Crossover is).

Ken
Point taken, and I suppose you're probably right. Don't know a whole lot about that genre of music, so who am I to say? It all sounds like opera to me!

Old 09-16-2010, 12:58 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,630,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post

Ken
I think that only those who closely follow that particular type of music would know and use the term classical crossover.

I believe most people associate the style and sound that Jackie Evancho emits with opera, therefore use that term as a general sound, not specific title.

People do this with all styles of music when in reality there are so many different actual titles, especially when they crossover into other categories.

So, when it's mentioned that Jackie is an opera singer and that Prince Poppycock is an opera singer, it's because their singing style/sound falls under the general umbrella of operatic singing style to most people.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:35 PM

cold ethyl, hypocore -

Yeah, I fully understand what you are saying. The differences are somewhat blurry - in part because opera itself is somewhat changing. Another poster YouTube sent a private message to me pointing out that Phantom of the Opera is not really opera but rather a "musical". I responded that the dialogue in Phantom is almost entirely sung (rather than spoken) and thus it fits the dictionary definition of opera. She then responded that in opera they don't use microphones and I responded that although that is MOSTLY true, it's no longer ENTIRELY true - that some operas ARE performed with sound enhancement - even in places like the MET and it's ALWAYS the case when an opera is being recorded live.

The upshot of all this is that the line between opera and musical theatre is starting to really blur. Hard core opera enthusiasts are unhappy about that, but it's occuring anyway.

Classical Crossover is a bit broader term than opera that encompasses parts of opera, parts of classical hymms etc, and even contemporary pieces that have a "classical" sound to them. While overall sales of this genre are still dwarfed by that of pop music, it's NOT minor business by ANY stretch of the imagination. Classical Crossover artists like Brightman and Josh Groben sell MILLIONS of albums every year - and the popularity of the genre is growing rapidly. Groban for example had the top-selling album (in ALL genres - INCLUDING pop, rap, whatever) for 2007.

Ken

Old 09-16-2010, 02:34 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,704,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I find Michael Grimm very boring. I don't get it. He's cute and seems like a nice guy, but.....

Oh well. This was my first year watching AGT. I enjoyed the earlier episodes more than the later ones.

I also think having an American judge on America's Got Talent would be an improvement. Just not the Hoff.
Honestly, it's better for Jackie that she didn't win. She's not pigeonholed into a Vegas contract now, and I'd be very surprised if she isn't already signed to a recording contract. Better all around for her, because she can actually have a career if she wants it instead of a cheesy Vegas sideshow.

Now, Poppycock -- he's perfect for Vegas and I'd be surprised if we didn't see him there soon enough.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:54 PM

9,023 posts, read 20,443,782 times
What I thought about later, after the show ended, was the showing AGAIN of Sharon saying "f-u" to the guy in that act that made a comment about Ozzy. Then, Howie laughted it up with her for doing it and then said it into the mike as well. Yes, it was "bleeped out" to tv watchers, but they still said it over the mikes with all of those young adults in the audience. And, everyone applauded them for doing it. Notice that Piers stayed out of it.
Hear we are trying to teach our younger generation not to use that profanity and these two say this........very unacceptable in my mind!!
Perhaps society does really like hearing that word and that's really do bad if that is true!

Old 09-16-2010, 03:50 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,413,302 times
I'm surprised Fighting Gravity didn't win. I can see "Vegas" all over their act. Although I wasn't blown away with their last performance, I still think they are the most original act.

Overall, I'm happy that Michael won, but not just because of the talent, he just strikes me like such a great person. Now he can help his grandparents to move out of the trailer and get them a better life. It may be a silly reason for me to be happy, but it's a sentimental part of me who is enjoying it. Besides, he does have a great soulful voice. I would buy his album.

Jackie is breathtaking and I'm in love with this little girl. So beautiful, humble, talented...she will go far with her voice and it's good that she didn't win. She is too young to have her own Vegas show.

Prince Poppycock is a great act too, I felt so bad when Pierce buzzed him, it was so inappropriate to do at that stage of a competition. Besides, I thought it was a good performance, he doesn't need to be "fun and flamboyant" all the time.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I'm surprised Fighting Gravity didn't win. I can see "Vegas" all over their act. Although I wasn't blown away with their last performance, I still think they are the most original act.

Overall, I'm happy that Michael won, but not just because of the talent, he just strikes me like such a great person. Now he can help his grandparents to move out of the trailer and get them a better life. It may be a silly reason for me to be happy, but it's a sentimental part of me who is enjoying it. Besides, he does have a great soulful voice. I would buy his album.

Jackie is breathtaking and I'm in love with this little girl. So beautiful, humble, talented...she will go far with her voice and it's good that she didn't win. She is too young to have her own Vegas show.
Well, as I've pointed out before, the grand prize is NOT really a "Vegas Show". It USED to be a show (a single performance - NOT a perminent show) in Vegas but this year they changed it so that rather than a single Vegas performance it is instead a nationwide tour with a SINGLE STOP in Vegas. In that regard Vegas is a city like any other city on the tour.

Also, ALL the Top Ten acts take part in that tour - and that INCLUDES Jackie - so in regards to the AGT top prize, Jackie will spend just as much time performing in Vegas as Grimm (ie ONE NIGHT).

Now, AFTER the month long tour is done it's quite possible that some of the Top Ten acts WILL get offers to perform in Vegas (Fighting Gravity is (I would think) a shoe-in for that) - but that is NOT part of the AGT prize - it just something that may or may not happen depending upon how the AGT nationwide tour goes. IF it happens for any of the acts (and again, I suspect it will) it will come about entirely independent of the AGT contest (though clearly the acts appearances on AGT (and the fame they gained from it) will have been the initial catalist for that happening - since it provided initial exposure for the performers) - and just because a particular performer WON the AGT contest doesn't mean that performer will necessarily get a follow-on offer to perform in Vegas, just as just because a performer came in 2nd, 3rd, or whatever doesn't mean that performer will NOT get a follow-on offer to do so. NONE of that is guarenteed one way or the other.

Once again - the top prize is NOT a permanent (or even short term) Vegas gig. It is a SINGLE PERFORMANCE (one night) - and ALL of the Top Ten will appear. The winner simply gets TOP BILLING and the runners-up (including Jackie) will get lower billing - but they will STILL perform. It is a TRAVELING AGT show - NOT a permanent Vegas show.

Ken

Old 09-16-2010, 10:59 PM

44,689 posts, read 61,837,844 times
Anyone catch Prince Poppycock on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno tonight. Looks mlike he's got his start now. He gets $500.00 for that stint. And I have to admit he did very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV