Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 06:12 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,456,304 times

Advertisements

This show is a joke. Courtland did an awesome job, with several contributions throughout the space, and especially the awesome sconces. Michael did a mirror that, although the judges liked it, questioned his paint color choice, a bench with a runner and no cushion and a piece of fabric shoved into the cushions of a chair. His work was shoddy and completely unworthy of someone who has any business with their own show on HGTV.

And excuse me, but how rude and insensitive was Candice when she told one of the girls that she was the hot one, right in front of the other one??

I'm disgusted by this season and if they try to go for another season, I won't be bothering to tune in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 06:47 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,499,179 times
I only caught the end - the results - and those 2 rooms looked horrible. I guess I just don't understand what this show is supposed to be about. Is this the first season? I have not seen it before.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:02 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,824,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I only caught the end - the results - and those 2 rooms looked horrible. I guess I just don't understand what this show is supposed to be about. Is this the first season? I have not seen it before.
nooooooooo......it's like season 4 or 5 and the other seasons were outstanding!!! This one is like weird,odd,off--totally different from the other seasons.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:26 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,380,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
nooooooooo......it's like season 4 or 5 and the other seasons were outstanding!!! This one is like weird,odd,off--totally different from the other seasons.
Well, I think the observation made earlier (that the time available for the contestants is less this year than previous years) is likely true - and likely resulting in much poorer performance by the contestants and a (quite frankly) lousy show. This last show is a prime example - they were given just 2 days to pull it off. In previous years it seems to me that their were always given 3 days to complete their projects. It's like the show's budget was cut severely (or something) and so the filming cycles have been speeded up to save money. If that's the case it would explain a lot of the poor performances since the time periods were ALREADY pretty challenging - and if they truly are cutting the time alotments by a third it's bound to have an adverse affect on the final results.

Whatever the reason, it's a LOUSY season this time around.

Ken

Old 08-09-2010, 08:42 PM

50,439 posts, read 64,242,361 times
I agree. The show is so boring this year. The designs are so nothingburger that I'm sure I could be on the show next season ans do as well. Not only are the designs a yawn, but so are the judges (who I like) who seem as though they've had their personalities sucked out at the door.
And it isn't as though the contestants are so super personable that we'd watch them for their personalities, either. Give me some outragous gays who know their way around a swatch.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:03 PM

621 posts, read 1,212,498 times
Unless she totally falls flat on her face next week, and Michael pulls off an outstanding project, Casey is going to win this season. Michael has had more top-team finishes, but Casey has had the most wins - which places higher than a top-team finish.

Emily's out. She hasn't had enough wins to match Michael or Casey, and has pulled off one more low ranking than Michael.

On to last night's show: Granted, I did NOT like much of anything they did in last night's show, but I loved Courtland's vases, and I do happen to think he did the best out of them all...except for those sconces. I know I'm the odd-man out about those things, but I hated them. Nevertheless, they beat a mirror made out of broken ceramic angels and spray painted black. Even after Michael explained where the black came from, I was still left wondering "What the....? "

Maybe it's just me, but this whole season, except for the kitchens last week, has said "tacky" to me - as if all season they've gone rummaging through a dumpster full of 1970s reject crap and tried to slap it together in a "band-aid" sort of fashion. Nothing...I mean absolutely NOTHING I've seen this season is anything that I would have wanted in my house. I mean, a kelly green ceiling with those hideous curtains? Ugh! And that reupholstered chair was ridiculous. It would have been better if she'd simply covered the cushions and painted the wood wings. And I'm sorry...what was the idea/inspiration behind taking plastic flowers, spray painting them white and attaching them to a box hanging over a table?? Oh my gosh, I just rolled my eyes.

Painful season, and I highly doubt I'll be watching next season. In fact, if it weren't already coming down to the wire, I'd probably go ahead and turn off the rest of this season too.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:51 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,698,324 times
you'd think at some point during the season they'd realize that endless "design a fake room based in some vague way on a random object" challenges were producing totally blah designs, and try to shake it up a bit. i didn't even watch this last episode and i don't care that i just found out who got eliminated. if the next season is like this, i won't be watching at all. i wonder how the ratings have been for the show throughout this season?

Old 08-10-2010, 07:53 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,698,324 times
i did find this blog about summer show ratings:

Which summer shows are sizzling, which ones are fizzling? | Radio & TV Talk

design star is listed as "bombing", with ratings down 1/3 from last year. hopefully hgtv will learn from this.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:44 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,380,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i did find this blog about summer show ratings:

Which summer shows are sizzling, which ones are fizzling? | Radio & TV Talk

design star is listed as "bombing", with ratings down 1/3 from last year.
Why am I not surprised?

Ken

PS - tried to rep you for the link but couldn't right now so THIS () will have to do.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:54 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,950,150 times

Just going off the kind of challanges that have been given to these "designers" this season.............. I'm wondering if the show they are looking for a host for is something along the lines of these possible titles:
"Dumpster Diving Design"
"Ghetto Glam"
"Recycled Redesign"
"Found Object Design"
"Making Goodwill Work"
"Thrift Store Finds"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV