Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2010, 09:18 AM

16,955 posts, read 16,805,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
If the judges at least spoke to the contestants as they walked through their challenge during the judging part....it would be helpful. Pointing out what they like or don't like and WHY....would make the show more interesting. Unless there is a lot of discussion going on that we aren't seeing, I can only imagine how confused and annoyed the contestants are.

All of these judges are born mentors. IF they could help, they would. I think their hands are tied by the "Mark B....I ruin every show I touch" machine.

What IRKs me is when Vern walks into a room , looks for like 4 seconds , turns to his counterparts and says " WE HAVE SEEN ENOUGH "! and they walk out of the room sniffing the air , lol !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 06:38 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,356,716 times
I actually FELL ASLEEP during the first 10 minutes last night. Not the shows fault....I had a long day chasing my 3 year old grandson. I'll catch it later this week. I'm good with spoilers though if anyone knows who got sent home.

Before I tried to watch Design Star, I was watching the cooking network stat....now THOSE were some great judges with lots to say to the contestants both negative and positive. You could also hear what they said to each other during a lot of the deliberations.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:23 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,703,612 times
you could actually hear what the judges were whispering this time, although it wasn't any more enlightening - it basically just established that genevieve disagreed with candace and vern. i know it's already been said but this show has been totally ruined. i'm still watching out of some weird sense of obligation but i hope their ratings are tanking.

i mean really, having the contestants spend some time in a simulated fire to inspire their designs? also what was up with them not being able to install new flooring? in the end, neither room looked very put together. i think the right person went home though.

i'm starting to root for crazy eyes tom. i like how he always wears a suit to the judging. he also did the one thing i would have done in that room - exposed the cool tin ceiling! painting it black was a bad move though.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:38 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,468,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I hope everyone is telling HGTV to dump the new format and do it over again. None of the current competiters show any interest from my perception.
You have SO hit the nail on the head. There is not one contestant that I am rooting for. They all seem pretty bad to me. The best thing HGTV could do at this point is to give a MAJOR "Mea Culpa", yank this show now, burn whatever film they already have of it, and show Mark Burnett and his team the door. Then, go immediately back to the original format and the sort of contestants that we use to want to see win.

This is not about being reluctant to accept change. I just don't see why a change WAS necessary for a successful for several seasons show. It was a sure-win for them and they have screwed it up.

Like GloryB, I watched the first 10 minutes last night and actually turned it off due to boredom. On CD, I would normally never click on to one of the threads of a show that I didn't get a chance to watch. I hate spoilers! But in this case? I couldn't care less. I just wanted to see if anyone posted if it had improved at all this week. Apparently not!

Old 07-19-2010, 08:51 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,925,975 times
The contrast between this show and Next Food Network Star is striking- Design Star is all about just creating the drama on the show itself with no intention of ever really giving the winner their own show. Note how they buried Antonio's show from last season. And with this season, we don't even have a sense of any of the designer's points of view (other than Nina likes primitive wall art) or what direction they'd take on a show if they won.

Meanwhile on NFNS, the challenges constantly emphasize and are based on what FN needs from a host of one of their shows, both in terms of skill and it terms of camera presense and ability. And while they've only really had one breakout winner on the show, several other previous winners have done well enough to get contract renewals once thier original six episode order was up.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:37 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,460,241 times
"Get out of here"? Wow. It's like a pod person took over Vern -- he's so rude.

At least that cocky, arrogant Nina finally got the boot! I had the feeling that if Vern had had his way, all 4 of them would've been sent packing.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:20 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,512,371 times
Nina got the boot? Finally! I've stopped watching, which is sad because DESIGN STAR was one of my two favorite shows of all.

Last year I really enjoyed watching David Bromstad's online review of each Design Star episiode. I havent even tried to find it this year but may do so to see what he says about Nasty Nina getting the boot.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:01 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,832,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Nina got the boot? Finally! I've stopped watching, which is sad because DESIGN STAR was one of my two favorite shows of all.

Last year I really enjoyed watching David Bromstad's online review of each Design Star episiode. I havent even tried to find it this year but may do so to see what he says about Nasty Nina getting the boot.

ding dong the witch Nina a is gone!! LOL
I actually watched because I wasn't feeling well and it was on and I was too sick to get up,find the remote to change the channel.

They took them into a simulation room with fire annd smoke; after having them suit up for it. Dumb idea!!!

Anyway I thought neither room worked. BIG shock I know.
One guy (can't remember his name ) shot a nail gun into his thumb nad had to go to ER so he was gone most of the show.
They had divided the teams up differently. NIna was thrilled that she was on what she thought was THE A team and that's the team that lost.
You just must watch a repeat to see her signature piece for the room. I actually laughed out loud at it.
Vern did seem like he wanted the whole team gone. Said he was so angry when he saw the room.
I was thinking "chill Vern" sheeeesh..........

Considering the direction this show has taken the episode last night wasn't too bad. Either that or I was out of my mind with a high fever and given the fact that Nina finally got the boot made it worthy to watch.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:47 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,318,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
You have SO hit the nail on the head. There is not one contestant that I am rooting for. They all seem pretty bad to me. The best thing HGTV could do at this point is to give a MAJOR "Mea Culpa", yank this show now, burn whatever film they already have of it, and show Mark Burnett and his team the door. Then, go immediately back to the original format and the sort of contestants that we use to want to see win.

This is not about being reluctant to accept change. I just don't see why a change WAS necessary for a successful for several seasons show. It was a sure-win for them and they have screwed it up.

Like GloryB, I watched the first 10 minutes last night and actually turned it off due to boredom. On CD, I would normally never click on to one of the threads of a show that I didn't get a chance to watch. I hate spoilers! But in this case? I couldn't care less. I just wanted to see if anyone posted if it had improved at all this week. Apparently not!
I didn't even watch it. The dvr is almost full so I didn't see a need to erase something else so it could record.

But I am glad that Nina departed. I might be worth to find a repeat to see her face when they told her.

I just don't see any indication with this "team" thing of what any of them CAN do. Before they did individual projects. Out in the real world you work with clients, not as part of a team.

Contrast this with the next Food network star, NO comparison at all. Its about the food and the presentation. Its not about reality style bickering. And as someone said, they are very straightforward about the results.

I haven't yet figured out how to cancel out a recording setting on the dvr so it goes away, but won't be watching this unless I just happen to want background noise.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:57 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,356,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
"Get out of here"? Wow. It's like a pod person took over Vern -- he's so rude.

At least that cocky, arrogant Nina finally got the boot! I had the feeling that if Vern had had his way, all 4 of them would've been sent packing.
There was the SPOILER! Just kidding, I was the one who fell asleep and missed it. I'll catch up this week!! I'm glad she is gone only because she was so rude to the other contestants. Also, not real talented.

About the winners who never get their shows: I sure could understand if HGTV had tons of shows. But the ones they have they keep airing over and over again. Every night their line up is just about the same. They should have a regular weekly schedule with some variety....instead of playing the same show until you are just about sick of it....like House Hunters or Property Virgins. I like them, but NOT EVERY NIGHT! They should use those winners to put some fun and change into to schedule at least for a few episodes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV