Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2010, 10:41 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,356,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
LOL--I now think of this show as a sitcom when I watch. The so called designers are a laugh I tell ya. Really bad. And I do continue to watch, I guess because I have since the beginning. I swear I have never seen such bad designers anywhere.
I should go on this show or at least try out for it. I could out design any of the current contestants hands down.
I was thinking the same thing after the show last night. Seriously, I could go to WALMART and pull together a better design than ANY of them did!

At first, I thought it was just the format which wasn't allowing them to show what they are capable of because some of them did have decent designs during the white room challenge, but they all went downhill from that point. In other seasons, there were also group challenges that far surpassed anything seen this season. There has got to be more talented people available to be a contestant on this show.

I don't blame the judges. They have got to be embarrassed by such a bad group of designers. Maybe they should bring back a couple of better designers from previous seasons who didn't win to add into the teams just for fun....and to see if it would motivate anyone to come up with something spectacular.

It used to be hard to pick a winner. Now it is hard to pick who is the biggest loser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 10:52 AM

2,689 posts, read 6,945,415 times
Newsflash for Tom: That color blue is NOT "spa like"!

Oh... and don't ever come to my house to design it!

Old 07-26-2010, 12:57 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,630,980 times
My husband actually watched most of last nights show with me. He couldn't fully understand who did what because of the way they edited it and I realized neither could I.

I also noticed, for the first time, that many times while Vern was speaking (and why is he doing so much of it and not the others??) they were actually voiced over and inserted into what was shown. I don't know if it was because they wanted something stronger/weaker than what was originally there, or if it needed to have some words edited out of it or what. However, it left me feeling even more as if the show was such a fake!

I cannot believe they would even accept a challenge such as the Trump properties with such low level contestants they have. It was doomed from the start.

Also, I really really don't like how we don't have a clue as to how much time they have or how much budget they are given. If they had tiny amounts of time and money, they were set up to fail on this challenge anyway.

It's is really ridiculous......more and more so. And yet, like a train wreck, we all keep watching....lol

Old 07-26-2010, 02:57 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,468,741 times
I'll tell you Hypocore, in an excellent paying year, there is NO WAY on this earth that I could have afforded to go into ABC Carpet and Home and furnish an apartment. That store is MEGA expensive (although I highly recommend you stop by it if any of you tour NY sometime). I would LOVE to know how much they are given for each project. And why, if it appears to be that they are given so much, why in the WORLD do they buy furniture that is assembly required when they KNOW they are on a time constraint (another measuring factor we are never informed of - how much time do they have?).

There is not one person appearing in this lousy crop whose show I would ever watch for design tips. When I think of a designer, it is someone with the keen ability (like a Sarah Richardson) who can see a small piece of fabric, and from that be inspired for curtains, furniture, wall color, etc. I would expect a designer to be knowledgeable about the latest trends in wall color, what works best given the room size and the light exposure it receives. Seriously? A blueberry bathroom which has NO natural light? For goodness sakes - at least use vivid white shower curtains, rug and towels to lighten it up! They just don't seem to have a grasp on the basic fundementals of design. I tend to cringe for them.

I won't even go into the individual designs using their inspiration pieces - that was just HomeEc quality results. How this crew was ever picked to appear on this show or WHY is beyond me. In seasons past, at least we got to see that process too. There is NO reason that ANY of these people should have even been in the running. There is neither a talented or likeable one in the bunch.

This show is just brutal to watch - whereas it used to be a heavily anticipated show in my weekly line-up. What a shame.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:53 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,356,716 times
I agree cokatie! Without giving a clue as to what the budget or time line is, it makes it impossible to tell what it going on. The show this year is a confusing mess. The elimination takes up the second 30 minutes of the show which doesn't leave enough time to really follow the actual design work done by the team or the individuals.

The show is as poorly executed as the designs this year.
Really a shame too since this is such an excellent show format. It's amazing how much they screwed up a winner.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:23 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,390,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I agree cokatie! Without giving a clue as to what the budget or time line is, it makes it impossible to tell what it going on. The show this year is a confusing mess. The elimination takes up the second 30 minutes of the show which doesn't leave enough time to really follow the actual design work done by the team or the individuals.

The show is as poorly executed as the designs this year.
Really a shame too since this is such an excellent show format. It's amazing how much they screwed up a winner.
ALL very very true.
All in all it's a very POOR show this season - very poor indeed.

Ken

Old 07-27-2010, 09:11 AM

16,955 posts, read 16,805,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
My husband actually watched most of last nights show with me. He couldn't fully understand who did what because of the way they edited it and I realized neither could I.

I also noticed, for the first time, that many times while Vern was speaking (and why is he doing so much of it and not the others??) they were actually voiced over and inserted into what was shown. I don't know if it was because they wanted something stronger/weaker than what was originally there, or if it needed to have some words edited out of it or what. However, it left me feeling even more as if the show was such a fake!

I cannot believe they would even accept a challenge such as the Trump properties with such low level contestants they have. It was doomed from the start.

Also, I really really don't like how we don't have a clue as to how much time they have or how much budget they are given. If they had tiny amounts of time and money, they were set up to fail on this challenge anyway.

It's is really ridiculous......more and more so. And yet, like a train wreck, we all keep watching....lol
Excellent Post !

Old 07-27-2010, 09:23 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,832,172 times
I never see the voice overs
How do those who catch that see it?

Old 07-27-2010, 09:37 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,630,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
I never see the voice overs
How do those who catch that see it?
I caught the difference in tone of Vern's voice. When he's in the moment he sounds a bit different than when it's recorded. It's subtle, so I am sure many people never hear it. But it's definitely there.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:42 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,460,241 times
I hear it, too. Listen closely as they first show Vern standing in the room and you can see him talking. Then listen as they start to pan around the room to show you what he's talking about, but you can't see him on screen anymore. You can tell at that point that it's a voice over many times, and not him actually standing in the room. The sound is different from the mics attached to them or overhead in the scene, than it is when it's done in a studio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV