Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 09:45 AM

621 posts, read 1,213,200 times

Advertisements

First, I need to correct something I said last night. I guess I missed it, but the wood wings of that one chair WERE repainted. My bad. And actually, when you look at the photos on the HGTV website, they (the rooms) somehow look much better than what we actually saw on TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post

Just going off the kind of challanges that have been given to these "designers" this season.............. I'm wondering if the show they are looking for a host for is something along the lines of these possible titles:
"Dumpster Diving Design"
"Ghetto Glam"
"Recycled Redesign"
"Found Object Design"
"Making Goodwill Work"
"Thrift Store Finds"
Sarcasm aside, I wonder if you might be hitting on something there. I wonder if the show that will be offered to the winner has something to do with what Emily said last night about her job...that's she's a prop stylist, and it's her job to make thing look prettier than they are. Maybe the new show will have something to do with budget makeovers and taking things you already have, but using them in a new way.

Last edited by shyspider; 08-10-2010 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: Wanted to clarify something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 10:52 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,460,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyspider View Post

Sarcasm aside, I wonder if you might be hitting on something there. I wonder if the show that will be offered to the winner has something to do with what Emily said last night about her job...that's she's a prop stylist, and it's her job to make thing look prettier than they are. Maybe the new show will have something to do with budget makeovers and taking things you already have, but using them in a new way.
They've already had at least 2 shows like that; Design Remix with Karen McAloon, who could design circles around any of these twits, and FreeStyle with Aaron Foster, also head and shoulders superior to this crop of design school dropouts.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:14 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,386,181 times
The last show was really a disappointment. I did like the mirror and the vases. That runner on the bench was really a failure. The ottoman was a good idea but the work itself was sloppy. I didn't like the sconces. I could have come up with that and I'm in no way a designer.

The entire aura of this season is off. I have usually "bonded" with at least one of the contestants but that has not happed for me this time around. The competitions have not been fun and, frankly, the show is boring this year.

The season that David won was so exciting. I couldn't wait for Sunday night to see what was going to happen. I just have not seen anyone who is outstanding this time. I'm still trying to recover from the losing room in the firehouse. Also, the Trump segment was just awful.

Plus, the judges are not exactly likeable this year. They're the same judges so I don't know what has changed. Maybe I have.

I'll keep watching, though, because even though this season is not my cup of tea I have enjoyed the others so much that I still believe something grand will happen. Hope springs eternal........

Old 08-10-2010, 02:54 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,468,741 times
Well, at least we know we will not have to suffer the "winner" on live TV. According to Vern's pop-up promos during the show, the winner will get an "on-line" show. Also, with regard to these self-promoting commercials run during the program - have you guys been catching where they are declaring the show a HUGE HIT? I'm left scratching my head and asking "by who???!!".

Hopefully, when this debacle finishes up, the powers that be at HGTV will show Mark Burnett and Co. the door and go back to the original formatting of this show which really pulled the viewers in, showcased talented designers, provided us with better ideas about timeframes and budgets - and generally had us really rooting for a winner. I'm like a few others of you on this thread: If it were not for the fact that it's down to the final 3, I would have stopped watching.

Sunday's show was just another major disappointment and a display of design gone wrong. I might not have really liked Courtland - but him getting tossed off before the other guy is just WRONG. Out of the remaining bad batch, the ultimate win goes to Casey.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:20 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,968,622 times
That is right...... it will be an "online show". Who is going to watch that? Talk about being pushed to the bottom of the heap of designers in HGTV's lineup. So are they going to show an old chair found in a dumpster and the "designer" gets to dress it up to show how it can be reused again.

There WILL be another season of Design Star as I did see the audition call for "designers" for it. I do hope it is FAR BETTER than this mess.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:18 PM

621 posts, read 1,213,200 times
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought one of the losing contestants would get their own online show, while the actual winner will get a "real" show on HGTV. That's why we're supposed to vote for who we think should get that online show. We're supposed to pick from the contestants who have already gone home.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:53 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,945,415 times
I'm done with this show. Someone owes me an hour of my life back after I sat thru that crap on Sunday.

Previous seasons used to really be fun to watch; two teams, redecorating two kitchens, let's see who wins.

This season... design a room around... wait for it... wait for it... an empanada.

Really?

I wouldn't let any of these people design/ touch anything in my house. Ever. And I certainly won't watch any show anyone gets.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:25 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,390,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyspider View Post
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought one of the losing contestants would get their own online show, while the actual winner will get a "real" show on HGTV. That's why we're supposed to vote for who we think should get that online show. We're supposed to pick from the contestants who have already gone home.
That is essentially correct - one of the losers (NOT the winner) will get an online show. The winner gets a TV show (of SOME sort).

Ken

Old 08-11-2010, 08:43 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,318,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i did find this blog about summer show ratings:

Which summer shows are sizzling, which ones are fizzling? | Radio & TV Talk

design star is listed as "bombing", with ratings down 1/3 from last year. hopefully hgtv will learn from this.
Has bombed out in this household for the last three weeks. I have better stuff to do with my time and it was using up valuable recording time on the dvr. I really don't care who wins this time, especially since none of them made a positive impression on me personality wise, and I never saw enough of anything to see if any of them really have any style or skills as a designer.

Just more "competition" and back biting. Ugh...

Old 08-12-2010, 09:53 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,361,233 times
I'm one of the 1/3 who stopped watching after last year's debacle.

I laugh every time I see one of their ads highlighting the supposed zillions of viewers who are bombarding them with twitters about how much they love the show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV