Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 08:17 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,261,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BU191433 View Post
Overall from show 1 through the last show that thought Michael was better than Emily. Just wish they showed us more details in why the judges chose who they did
I totally agree. Leaving out the discussion and reasoning really took away from the show this year. No other contestant type show avoids showing at least a portion of their decision making process discussion.

Truthfully, Michael did a great job, but he's such a little snark until I doubt anyone would watch his show regardless of how good he is. Not sure anyone will watch Emily either....but at least she seems to be the nicer person.

My gosh....I hope they REVAMP this show next time around!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 08:32 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,362,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I totally agree. Leaving out the discussion and reasoning really took away from the show this year. No other contestant type show avoids showing at least a portion of their decision making process discussion.

Truthfully, Michael did a great job, but he's such a little snark until I doubt anyone would watch his show regardless of how good he is. Not sure anyone will watch Emily either....but at least she seems to be the nicer person.

My gosh....I hope they REVAMP this show next time around!!!!!!
Yup - your comments about Michael and Emily are exactly right. Michael DID do pretty good work, but he WAS snarky - which is a REAL turn-off. In fact, that was THE major problem with Nina. In my opinion she WAS one of the more talented designers, but she just came across as too much "me, me, me" - and that just didn't go over very well. The older I've gotten the more I realize just how important "playing nice with others" really is.

Ken

Old 08-23-2010, 09:30 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,780,941 times
This show has been such a huge dissapointment that about 20 minutes before they decided the winner -I shut the TV off (again ) and went to bed.

I figured I would find out the winner here.

If next season is this horrible I will turn the channel.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:17 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,450,263 times
Well, at least Emily has a somewhat interesting concept for her show that will set it apart from all the other design shows already on the air. And her apartment was head and shoulders better than Michael's. I thought his looked kind of tacky.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:47 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,464,990 times
And yet, the only time I felt "in tune" with this series was at the very end when Emily won and she said "I'm just SHOCKED".

Nodding from the comfort of my couch, I muttered under my breath: "I know. So am I ....".

Glad this painful show is finally over. Let's hope HGTV re-evaluates their wisdom in reformatting a show that was just perfect the way it originally was. If not, I'm with WannaLiveInGreenville.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:36 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,670,189 times
I stopped watching this show a couple of years ago because the entire process looks rigged to me. However, I picked up again, catching a few episodes this season. I was glad to see that at least they had more competent interior design judges than those two clowns they used to have on with Vern.

I thought both contestants did a good job and had pretty good concepts for shows.

I expected Emily to win. A few episodes back, Candace mentioned that Emily would attract more male viewers.

I think HGTV is targeting more hetero male viewers and that's primarily why they chose her. It already has just about every other demographic.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post

I expected Emily to win. A few episodes back, Candace mentioned that Emily would attract more male viewers.

I think HGTV is targeting more hetero male viewers and that's primarily why they chose her. It already has just about every other demographic.
Candace said this about Casey....who I really DID think was going to win. However, I think you made a good point about Ellen being young and having a cute ditsy personality, that may indeed bring in another type of demographic. She is less threatening to the old timers and has a quirky charm.

You are also right in the hetero male growing veiwer-ship of HGTV. There was a time when most males weren't interested in design like they seem to be today. Years ago when I was married, my husband could have cared less what color the curtains were or what kind of couch we had. I don't even remember ever asking him. Whereas now, young males seem to be very interested in the decor of their home.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:38 AM

1,677 posts, read 1,670,189 times
Quote:
Candace said this about Casey....
Oh, I think you're right.

Quote:
who I really DID think was going to win. However, I think you made a good point about Ellen being young and having a cute ditsy personality, that may indeed bring in another type of demographic. She is less threatening to the old timers and has a quirky charm.
Right, I think it became obvious that Emily is more animated on camera than Casey was. Casey might have won then if not for the deadpan expressions - and she looked as though she may not have the energy level required for consistent optimal performance. I agreed with the judges that the other 2 had better glass rooms...more creative.

I doubt I will watch the new show though. Candace is the only one of the bunch I'd turn loose in my house, and I don't even watch her show anymore. I like some of the other designers but many of their designs are very nice to look at, but not as conducive to comfortable living, IMO.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:01 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,780,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
And yet, the only time I felt "in tune" with this series was at the very end when Emily won and she said "I'm just SHOCKED".

Nodding from the comfort of my couch, I muttered under my breath: "I know. So am I ....".

Glad this painful show is finally over. Let's hope HGTV re-evaluates their wisdom in reformatting a show that was just perfect the way it originally was. If not, I'm with WannaLiveInGreenville.
Thanks

I feel like the judges made better designers than judges.

It was like the producer told them how to act.

It turned me off when Vern turned so stone cold on the judging when on Bang for Your Buck he was so friendly !

Old 08-25-2010, 08:31 AM

I would say perhaps it is hard to judge without being cold....but they manage to do it so wonderfully on the cooking channel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV