Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2010, 08:19 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,982,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky42day View Post
^^^Michael was so terrible, it was painful to watch!

Like I've said ad nauseam, I'm not personally watching it for the superb dancing, it's just a bonus to me when that happens!

I didn't contradict myself, you obviously love to nitpick. Watching how someone reacts to a challenge does not mean that I give a flip about the technicality of how they danced the Lindy Hop & did or did not point their toes. I enjoy watching how the celebrities handle the pressure of the live show, which is a challenge & how they interact with the other contestants & their partners.

Courtney
I think Pippy's issue is that when you give votes to contestants based on things other than their performances, you are skewing the contest, which is a dancing contest, and possibly sending home dancers who outperformed the people you voted for.

Clearly the contest is subjective, we all sometimes disagree with the judges' assessments on the show, some people think Jennifer Grey is injecting too much drama into her dance performances, others like it. It's a matter of opinion. But many people feel that in a dance contest, your vote should reflect your opinion of someone's dance skills, not what you think of that someone off the dance floor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 08:29 AM

12,973 posts, read 34,043,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
.............tsk tsk......it's a dance contest. I felt no need for that story to be introduced here-mainly for the reason you just gave -giving him a vote--no...2 votes.
I agree with you totally. People should ONLY vote based on how the person dances. Not because of "Oh I like what he and his wife does in their spare time so I voted for him". Geez I hate that.

I was actually surprised by Bristol. I thought she'd be a bad dancer and that she'd get by ONLY because of everyone who's part of the Tea Party would vote for her no matter what. But, there is some potential there and the judges were right that she's like this season's Kelly Osborne.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:54 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,405,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I agree with you totally. People should ONLY vote based on how the person dances. Not because of "Oh I like what he and his wife does in their spare time so I voted for him". Geez I hate that.

I was actually surprised by Bristol. I thought she'd be a bad dancer and that she'd get by ONLY because of everyone who's part of the Tea Party would vote for her no matter what. But, there is some potential there and the judges were right that she's like this season's Kelly Osborne.
Yeah, Bristol is loosening up for sure.
I wouldn't call her a "contender" yet - but she's definitely improving and much better than I expected.
Give her some time and we'll see what she can do.

Ken

Old 09-28-2010, 09:26 AM

1,036 posts, read 2,843,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think Pippy's issue is that when you give votes to contestants based on things other than their performances, you are skewing the contest, which is a dancing contest, and possibly sending home dancers who outperformed the people you voted for.

Clearly the contest is subjective, we all sometimes disagree with the judges' assessments on the show, some people think Jennifer Grey is injecting too much drama into her dance performances, others like it. It's a matter of opinion. But many people feel that in a dance contest, your vote should reflect your opinion of someone's dance skills, not what you think of that someone off the dance floor.
Mmmhmm right.

I'm not a complete ditz...most of the time at least! It's fairly obvious what Pippy's "issue" is with the way I choose to cast MY votes.

ABC knows people aren't just voting on the dancing, otherwise they wouldn't have a slew of story writers. Like Bristol foregoing practice time this week to take her partner home to Alaska so they could film Sarah Palin doing the shimmy.

It's not just a dance contest to me, the goal to me is to be entertaining to watch & to win America's heart & their votes. If the celebrity is full of themself & has a bad attitude they will not get my vote because I could care less if they come back the next week.

Y'all can come on here & criticize the way I cast MY votes all you want, but I'm still, like the majority of America, voting for who I want to see stick around for the next week. I'm pretty sure that's what the hosts instruct you to do every week anyway don't they?

Courtney

Old 09-28-2010, 10:33 AM

5,121 posts, read 16,636,263 times
I liked Jennifer & Audrina. I think the others did okay, but not as good as those two. I'm glad Carrie Ann commented on that situation guys pigeon toes. I saw that right when his dance started and it bugged me BIG TIME.

Margaret Cho did so much better but I think her facial expressions wer far less distracting than Kyle's. And just like last week, Kyle's energetic moves seem out of control at times.

Derrek & Jennifer did deserve higher marks and Florence deserved lower ones.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:58 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,052,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I liked Jennifer & Audrina. I think the others did okay, but not as good as those two. I'm glad Carrie Ann commented on that situation guys pigeon toes. I saw that right when his dance started and it bugged me BIG TIME.

Margaret Cho did so much better but I think her facial expressions wer far less distracting than Kyle's. And just like last week, Kyle's energetic moves seem out of control at times.

Derrek & Jennifer did deserve higher marks and Florence deserved lower ones.
I didn't see florence perform, but gimme a break. florence is well into her 70s and jennifer grey is already a dancer. Why should Jennifer Grey be lauded when she's hardly an amateur?

Old 09-28-2010, 12:56 PM

5,121 posts, read 16,636,263 times
...and why should there be special consideration given to the oldest star? Jennifer Grey fought spinal cancer and Rick Fox had some kind of tendon surgery on his foot which is challenging for him.

I didn't care for the performance of the youngest dancer either.....so age isn't an issue for me in forming my opinion.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:36 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,109,727 times
American Idol isn't a true talent contest either. Whenever the public votes, you will have people voting on personality or background story.

The only difference is that on American Idol, once the contest is over, the REALLY talented ones find continued success after the show is over............the others always fade away.

Also, it is more fun to watch DWTS because no one is on there to make or break their career...........their careers are already established elsewhere..........the dancing is more for fun.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:52 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,259,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post

The Situation IS pigeon toed!
I noticed the same exact thing.

I voted for Audrina, imho, she was the best dancer. She reminds me of the way Joanna Krupa danced a few years ago. Very similar style of dancing and I really enjoyed her dancing.

Poor Michael Bolton. I think he's going to just give up now, he said last week was really traumatic and it affected him. I suspect he may go home tonight but if he don't - it will be even worse next week. He doesn't remind me of the type to "gut check" and get it together.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:20 PM

36,505 posts, read 16,104,101 times
It's entertainment for me, it's doing something completely out of their element for the celebrities. Jennifer's dance experience was 23 years ago, I think with Brandy being an entertainer her experience with dance and choreography would be much more recent.

If I voted, it would be for who I would want to see next week, not necessarily the best dancer, there are always a few who grow dramatically during their time on the show.

BTW, M. Bolton was not very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV