Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2015, 05:44 PM

43 posts, read 39,521 times

Advertisements

I'm reading the news here in NY and packing to move to Tyler in 6 weeks and I'm a bit worried when I hear about tornado warning, flash floods and earthquakes! Is it really that bad? thats not weather NY'rs are used to. Should I get flood insurance/ earthquake insurance? How bad is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 09:44 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,097,929 times
Forget the earthquakes, lol. Fracking in the DFW area causing the tremors, never around Tyler in my 25 years back to Tyler from Houston and none that I am aware of in my 69 years, or visiting parents here.

First tornado death, Van Area, real damage in more than 25 years in the Tyler Area, within 25 miles or so of Tyler.

No flash flood in the immediate Tyler area. However, we are having the most rain in years. So, not as bad as other parts of Texas/Oklahoma. So this is not average weather for the area.

Earthquake insurance, OMG stands for gosh, lol. Now, don't build in the 100 year flood plain area. Most insurance companies know about the 100 year flood plain. No, flood insurance is not common either. There are very small rivers around, so maybe don't live on their banks, lol. I don't think you would even be tempted to live there anyway.

The only thing you really have to be concerned with is the dad gum heat and humidity, and this year will likely be really humid. We are suppose to have a wetter than average summer as well. So come on down, with shorts and tee shirts and enjoy all the air conditioned world of Texas.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:52 AM

I was in the DFW area 2 1/2 weeks ago when they was a flash flood in grapevine. I dropped by Tyler and Mt. Pleasant area was dry, which was nice.
Thanks, where is the flood plain area?
I prefer the heat to the blistering icy cold of NY any day.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:12 AM

FEMA has flood plain maps

https://msc.fema.gov/portal/search?A...xas%20%2075705

But really, just use common sense, look around for creeks, drainage ditches, very few homes, apartments ever flood in the city of Tyler. Restrictions are strictly enforced when new developments occur. Sure we have some street flooding but only rarely does the water come into cars. This should not be a concern for you.

You will soon find out what heat it like, day in day out. I've been in Texas all my life, and never have "adjusted" to the heat, just try to accept it and move on. The heat is very often really uncomfortable. Only time will tell for you, even if you went naked, lol, the heat would be a bother. Up "North" you can at least pile the layers of clothes on, right?

Old 05-25-2015, 09:33 AM

Thank you Mark, you're a wealth of information. Here in NY, even if you pile on the layers in the dead of winter, your face /head and exposed skin are still very cold. Besides, its hard to move around in over 3 layers of clothes

Old 05-25-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomersNY View Post
Thank you Mark, you're a wealth of information. Here in NY, even if you pile on the layers in the dead of winter, your face /head and exposed skin are still very cold. Besides, its hard to move around in over 3 layers of clothes
I see, no first hand experience here, Thanks !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler