Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 10:50 AM

13 posts, read 76,584 times

Advertisements

My husband may be transferred to Tyler, Texas and we're struggling right now trying to decide whether he should look for another job/position or if we should make the move. We have some pros and cons to consider. The pros are that my husband's $58K per year salary plus my $26K per year salary (I telecommute, so my job travels with me) will make us able to afford a very nice home in the Tyler/Whitehouse area. There's also opportunity for advancement for my husband if we move to Tyler.

As far as I've seen in photos Tyler is a lovely city. I'm a gardener, so the azalea and rose festivals appeal to me, too. The cost of living around Tyler seems very low. I've also heard that Texans are friendly and full of Texas pride--all good things.

Here's the rub, though. I've also heard Tyler, and much of Texas in general, is very conservative and very Christian. I have nothing against either, but I'm very liberal and an agnostic (in other words, not at all religious and not open to becoming so). My husband is also liberal and a wiccan. We've taught our kids about all different religions (they even attended Lutheran Sunday school when they were younger to get a taste of their grandparents' religion), but our children are not religious, either. They're also very open and liberal in their beliefs. Neither kid has a racist bone in their bodies--seriously.

I don't want to stir up a huge controversy--Tyler is what it is, and I'm fine with that. I'm just worried that, given our beliefs, and even though we're pretty private about them, my family won't fit in there. Will my kids have trouble fitting into school when if folks ask them where they go to church and they tell them that they don't? Just how conservative is Tyler? I'm hoping my worries are unfounded, but I'd like to go in with my eyes open.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 11:16 AM

1,197 posts, read 3,584,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraSylver View Post
My husband may be transferred to Tyler, Texas and we're struggling right now trying to decide whether he should look for another job/position or if we should make the move. We have some pros and cons to consider. The pros are that my husband's $58K per year salary plus my $26K per year salary (I telecommute, so my job travels with me) will make us able to afford a very nice home in the Tyler/Whitehouse area. There's also opportunity for advancement for my husband if we move to Tyler.

As far as I've seen in photos Tyler is a lovely city. I'm a gardener, so the azalea and rose festivals appeal to me, too. The cost of living around Tyler seems very low. I've also heard that Texans are friendly and full of Texas pride--all good things.

Here's the rub, though. I've also heard Tyler, and much of Texas in general, is very conservative and very Christian. I have nothing against either, but I'm very liberal and an agnostic (in other words, not at all religious and not open to becoming so). My husband is also liberal and a wiccan. We've taught our kids about all different religions (they even attended Lutheran Sunday school when they were younger to get a taste of their grandparents' religion), but our children are not religious, either. They're also very open and liberal in their beliefs. Neither kid has a racist bone in their bodies--seriously.

I don't want to stir up a huge controversy--Tyler is what it is, and I'm fine with that. I'm just worried that, given our beliefs, and even though we're pretty private about them, my family won't fit in there. Will my kids have trouble fitting into school when if folks ask them where they go to church and they tell them that they don't? Just how conservative is Tyler? I'm hoping my worries are unfounded, but I'd like to go in with my eyes open.

Thanks in advance!
Hi there,
Just wanted to let you know that Tyler might not be the best place for you and you're family. You won't fit in well there. Yes, it is extremely conservative and all points around the area as well. Try Dallas, or Austin if you want to experience more of a progressive lifestyle.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNT_Eagle View Post
Hi there,
Just wanted to let you know that Tyler might not be the best place for you and you're family. You won't fit in well there. Yes, it is extremely conservative and all points around the are as well. Try Dallas, or Austin if you want to experience more of a progressive lifestyle.
Thing is, we don't have much of a choice. My husband's job transfer is to a corporate office in Tyler, so it's Tyler or the surrounding area. We've looked at south Tyler, Whitehouse, and Flint.

Thanks for answering, though. We sure have lots to consider. I hope to hear some more thoughts and opinions.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:21 AM

1,197 posts, read 3,584,827 times
Henderson might be an option for you. It's not too far from Tyler.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:43 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,224,937 times
Won't say you'll run into no trouble. Deep East Texas is what it is, but alot of Texans have a live and let live attitude. As long as your a contributing citizens and are nice folks most people just don't mind. They will wonder why you don't attend church and maybe ask you along but generally don't proseletize. They may also look at you sideways if you say you are agnostic...just do not mention wiccan please. Most folks don't understand that at all and think of halloween/demonic type witches instead of the earth/nature/wholistic/spiritual religion that it really is. BTW you will not be alone, but hooking up with others of similar belief will be a little more difficult.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
Won't say you'll run into no trouble. Deep East Texas is what it is, but alot of Texans have a live and let live attitude. As long as your a contributing citizens and are nice folks most people just don't mind. They will wonder why you don't attend church and maybe ask you along but generally don't proseletize. They may also look at you sideways if you say you are agnostic...just do not mention wiccan please. Most folks don't understand that at all and think of halloween/demonic type witches instead of the earth/nature/wholistic/spiritual religion that it really is. BTW you will not be alone, but hooking up with others of similar belief will be a little more difficult.
Thanks much for your response.

My husband and I don't usually talk about our beliefs. When questioned about religion I politely decline to discuss the topic. My husband knows all too well the stereotypes associated with his religious beliefs. It's just like you said--people see wicca as devil worship instead of the earth-centered religion that it is. It's difficult to convince people otherwise, so we don't try. We have live-and-let-live attitudes and just hope folks will give us the same consideration.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:45 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,241,570 times
If you move to that area, you might want to look for a home out in the woods (and there are many beautiful homes in the deep woods)....... and not give out your address to anyone! Tyler folks don't take very well to people who think the way you think. And it's hard to avoid the topic of religion in Tyler.....much of the social life there is based on church activities (Green Acres Baptist Church is a strong force there and has been for many years).

Does the potential boss there know your husband already.... know him well enough to be aware of his religios practices? That might be a real issue if he doesn't know already. Depending upon what kind of business your husband is in - many companies expect their employees to attend church, join the Loin's Club, socialize and network with the 'right people' for business and/or political purposes.

Old 02-16-2008, 03:29 PM

595 posts, read 2,724,263 times
Okay....if I didn't already live in the Tyler area I sure wouldn't want to move here. Tyler is not some little red-neck, close minded city that all votes republican and goes to the Baptist church. Tyler is an awesome city who welcomes all the new faces that are moving into our area from all over the United States. And believe me...they are coming from all over. I'm a realtor and this past week..every client I showed homes to was from outside of the East Texas area. I say we welcome our new neighbors with open arms! Welcome to the great state of Texas!

Old 02-16-2008, 04:54 PM

47 posts, read 211,449 times
My advice is to really think twice about moving to Texas. We moved here from up north 5 yrs ago, and one of the first things that everyone we encountered asked us is 'have you found a church yet?' And I'm talking about even tradesmen who came to our home to give us estimates on work to be done on our house. We were asked more times than I can count to join them in going to church. North Texas is very, very conservative. People here take Christianity very, very seriously. If your beliefs were discovered, both you, your husband and family would be ostracized. If your views differ from the 'accepted community standard,' you will not be able to voice them....at all. Don't get me wrong....Texans are very friendly and warm people. But on this topic they will not bend.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:26 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,285,220 times
Check out the link below. I did a search and found it and must admit, I'm quite shocked.

Texas: Family Oriented Groups
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler