Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2017, 04:30 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,559,505 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Malakoff from Dallas; I purchased what is my retirement home in a small private property owner's location at the very southern tip of Cedar Creek Lake, and I love where I now live. Here is my question: Where would I find others like myself, those who are more liberal, probably Democrats or Libertaroans politically, basically forward thinking. open minded people who are more like me?

I just received a letter from one of the property owners here; a very nice woman I met last spring when I was moving in. However, the letter apparently just "assumed" I am a Republican who supports the Trump administration and asked for donations to "help keep our area red"....this sort of opened my eyes as to my surroundings, as I have really not met many people out here yet. I had in mind a retirement filled with book clubs, volunteerism, social interaction, and I know it's up to me to find it. I can really get along with people of many diverse outlooks, but I still long for a group of people who lean towards my outlook on life.

Any suggestions? I do not own a boat (yet), and am still trying to get my house in order (have some repairs to do, some redecorating, etc.) and am single.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 08:50 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Honestly speaking, most people don't really care what your political or philosophical beliefs are. Join the local Democratic Party or some group like that and call it good.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:10 AM

29 posts, read 31,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Honestly speaking, most people don't really care what your political or philosophical beliefs are. Join the local Democratic Party or some group like that and call it good.
Agreed. Unfortunately today, the political climate is driving a wedge between people and families. Opinions, political and otherwise, are like ..., everyone has one. And anyway, political and religious debate is healthy, it causes us to sharpen our own arguments and opinions. It forces us to think, to make adjustments, and to engage. This should not be something to fear, but to do warmly and with the people around us.

In my opinion, too many people are focused on the R or the D, the red or the blue, instead of looking at the real problems and trying to find the real answers. And that is my political opinion. If we would all start looking at each other as brothers and sisters instead of as something else, we might actually get to the business of solving the real problems.

Old 02-28-2017, 02:36 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,559,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardPerry View Post
Agreed. Unfortunately today, the political climate is driving a wedge between people and families. Opinions, political and otherwise, are like ..., everyone has one. And anyway, political and religious debate is healthy, it causes us to sharpen our own arguments and opinions. It forces us to think, to make adjustments, and to engage. This should not be something to fear, but to do warmly and with the people around us.

In my opinion, too many people are focused on the R or the D, the red or the blue, instead of looking at the real problems and trying to find the real answers. And that is my political opinion. If we would all start looking at each other as brothers and sisters instead of as something else, we might actually get to the business of solving the real problems.
Oh Richard what a great response! I totally agree with you, and have said so many times and until I promised myself I would stay off the political forum here, I said it often on various threads...although I think you have said it much better! Thank you so much for your wise words!

Old 02-28-2017, 08:08 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardPerry View Post

You said a mouthful and it was all correct!

Old 02-28-2017, 10:07 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,086,306 times
Add ME, to this agreement TOO !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
View detailed profiles of: