Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2024, 09:43 AM

10 posts, read 9,779 times

Advertisements

I have been reading the post and most relating to me seem to be a few years old. So I am looking for an updated version.
I will be retiring soon and considering the Tyler area. There are a few things important to me.
Before I head on a scouting expedition I would like to narrow it down.

1. Healthcare and Hospitals (as we get older we tend to need these available)
2. High School with AP courses (I have a 13yr old. The goal is to achieve an AA out of High School)
3 A good neighborhood where homeowners take pride of their home. ($400K - $500K)

What areas of Tyler are best and more desirable?
What area of Lindale are best and more desirable?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2024, 07:48 AM

11,888 posts, read 26,985,716 times
The south side of Tyler is the better side. North side is more industrial and not as nice. I have a work location in Tyler on the north side, and I never stay overnight close to it.

Lindale is a small town, and you'd be fine anywhere in town. Many people choose to live in Lindale and commute to Tyler for work because Lindale ISD schools are much better than Tyler ISD. Several of my coworkers live in Lindale, and my husband and I like visiting Lindale when we are in the area.

Tyler has the big UT Health system on the north side, and it is excellent. There is also Christus Mother Frances Hospital in downtown if you prefer that system.

Old 05-15-2024, 11:32 AM

Christine P.....
Thanks for the reply. I need to look further i to the schools that offer the Advance Placement.
Availability of Dr's is important. I am feustrayed having to wait 45 day to see a Dr..
My scouting trip is set fort the begining of next monrh. Lets see how it goes.

Old 05-15-2024, 02:51 PM

Good luck! You will get to experience the worst of a hot, humid Texas summer on a June visit.

I can't comment on doctor availability, but Tyler is the medical hub for the east Texas region. Other towns have hospitals, but Tyler has the big ones. UT Tyler also has a medical school at UT Health, so there will be lots of residents and fellows at the hospitals, too.

Looking at the Texas Education Agency's report, both Tyler ISD and Lindale ISD students have completed AP exams.
Lindale HS is rated a 92 A
Tyler HS is rated a 82 B
Tyler Legacy HS is rated a 84 B
Tyler ISD Early College HS is rated a 98 A
UT Tyler University Academy at Tyler (charter school) is rated a 94 A

Old 05-20-2024, 07:52 AM

28 posts, read 62,142 times
Healthcare is pretty good already. With the expansion of the new Medical School, that should bring even more talent and specialization into the region. Access to mental health care is the worst I've seen, and I've lived in various parts of the country. It's a really low priority. The loops one has to jump through and waiting to get in to see a doctor is really unacceptable for a wealthy nation. It's much easier to buy a gun and lots of ammo than it is to get in to see a psychiatrist or psychologist.

High Schools rank around the middle of the pack nationally. Football is likely more important than learning - in dollars spent. That's really just a guess but I know that we can't even get a Public Library branch on the south side.

Where to live? To me in a nutshell, the choice is incorporated and unincorporated. Do some research and figure out what amenities are important to you.

Even though my tone may not sound like it, Tyler is a great place to live. People are as friendly here as anywhere else I've been - with exception to the drivers. At best they're distracted, at worst they're aggressive.

Old 05-20-2024, 03:39 PM

jccorn Thanks for the input. Lockley my family doesn't suffer from mental illness. As we get old the necessities are a MD, cardiologist, urologist, nephrologist and a decent hospital. Wouldn't like having to drive to Dallas all the time. After having lived in Metropolitan cities and dealing with drama, traffic and personalities, I am ready for a less agitated life. That is what attracts me to Tyler.
I still have a son that will be starting High School. He is currently enrolled in ECHS. I notice there is at least one (1) school that offers this. Does Tyler have the ability or option to have children attend a different school than what is assigned based on their residence?
Where to live will be the biggest challenge. A peaceful area where homeowners have pride in their neighborhood or property is my ideal choice. As of now I been steered toward Flint, Whitehouse and Lindale. I would like to know more specifically about neighborhoods so I can spend less time driving and searching.
I believe Tyler still has not been discovered and perhaps it is the best kept secret in Texas!

Old Today, 01:44 PM

Tyler has most definitely already been discovered. It's not a small town anymore, and is definitely the medical hub of East Texas. The population is close to 250,000 already.

Here's the website for the Tyler ISD Early College HS: https://www.tylerisd.org/o/echs It is a brand new school that just had its ribbon-cutting this month. There is an application and interview process for a student to attend. Applications open January 1 and close March 1, so your move will need to be timed properly. No, if you live in another ISD's boundaries, you cannot attend a Tyler ISD school.

As for the UT Tyler University Academy charter school, that is another alternative to the public schools. Applications are open now for fall enrollment. https://www.uttua.org/

The three small towns suggested all have schools that are better than Tyler. If there was no ECHS in Tyler ISD or University Academy, those would definitely be better alternatives. As for driving around, they are all small towns, so it won't be much driving! You can't pigeon-hole yourself by limiting to a certain neighborhood in a small town; you will have to take what is available when you are ready to move.

Last edited by ChristieP; Today at 01:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
View detailed profiles of: