Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 04:07 PM

595 posts, read 2,721,716 times

Advertisements

My goodness.....we moved to the Tyler area in August of last year. We haven't had any of the problems that this lady says she has. I live north of Tyler ...but work in Tyler and I love it. When I go to Wal Mart in Tyler I have met some of the nicest people of all colors. We love several of the minority owned place to eat. YUMMY! We have never been treated with disrespect. I don't go to fast food very often...but I usually judge it by the way it looks on the outside as to whether or not I think it's clean and if doesn't meet my standards then I don't stop! The mall here is as good as any. You see all kinds. It's hard to relocate from another area....maybe she is just sad and misses her old neighborhood. Things will get better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 04:52 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destin04 View Post
My goodness.....we moved to the Tyler area in August of last year. We haven't had any of the problems that this lady says she has. I live north of Tyler ...but work in Tyler and I love it. When I go to Wal Mart in Tyler I have met some of the nicest people of all colors. We love several of the minority owned place to eat. YUMMY! We have never been treated with disrespect. I don't go to fast food very often...but I usually judge it by the way it looks on the outside as to whether or not I think it's clean and if doesn't meet my standards then I don't stop! The mall here is as good as any. You see all kinds. It's hard to relocate from another area....maybe she is just sad and misses her old neighborhood. Things will get better.
She probably went there looking for trouble. I believe she said they moved there because of her husbands job ? If so, she probably never wanted to leave Michigan and would have hated ANY Texas town, or anything southern period.

Just speculation though, She never posted in the thread again.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:25 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,939 times
not necessarily. that's what folks said about me when i posted my negative experiences in South Texas, and it was so far from the truth.
i dont know Tyler or East Texas for that matter, but perhaps she is in a very bad part of the city????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTexan View Post
She probably went there looking for trouble. I believe she said they moved there because of her husbands job ? If so, she probably never wanted to leave Michigan and would have hated ANY Texas town, or anything southern period.

Just speculation though, She never posted in the thread again.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:35 AM

595 posts, read 2,721,716 times
All I know is that when my hubby was transferred to the deep SE back in the 90's I didn't want to go and I sat in our house thinking about how stupid and terrible that place was. In reality it was very nice ....beautiful location right on the beach and I had no real reason to complain. I found plenty of reasons not to like it and when we were offered a position back in Texas we had the U-haul packed in one afternoon!!!!

Old 02-17-2009, 07:15 PM

3 posts, read 7,520 times
This is a wonderful post because Tyler is a nice place with nice people.Sure it has crimes but no town is perfect.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:30 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,080,951 times
Pinkpantereelmo:

Glad you've found it to your liking so far. Where did you move from?

Old 03-25-2019, 11:40 AM

2 posts, read 1,589 times
Amen!!! You get what you pay for!!! Knowing that many jobs that are blu collar or service based hire those with a GED or less personnel...you must also know that the pay is minimum wage...often well beneath even the low average cost of rentals and for purchase housing...that being said...the less costly places to live will be an attraction to that population of all races...thats simple math...survival. If you are in a position to do better...by all means search and go...get in where you fit in!!!

Old 03-25-2019, 11:45 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
I worked in staffing with a staffing company for many years in Tyler. Hardly anyone anywhere at any company pays minimum wage. I just wanted to point that out. I'm not saying that $10 an hour or so is great pay - I'm just pointing out that not many companies pay the bare minimum wage for anyone.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:46 AM

206 posts, read 170,675 times
The earlier comment that the three major races don’t make diversity is important to understand. Most of us are not coming together from all over the world. We’re accustomed to each other, those of us in the three races. We’ve lived in the same Texas cities segregated officially in two races and we’ve lived in those same cities segregated unofficially in three. We’re starting to blend more, but we still make cities look like an ethnic pie chart. It seems not surprising that someone from Michigan might move to a place like Tyler and not get it. I hope people like that leave. But if they don’t, they’ll get it eventually.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:39 PM

270 posts, read 110,093 times
I don't blame the Michigan woman one bit. A lot of the things she said are true, although maybe a bit exaggerated. I meet people from the midwest all the time, as well as other parts of the country and a common theme I've heard them express is that racial sensitivities are very heightened around here, moreso than the states they came from. Being from Texas I never saw it that way but I've never lived anywhere else and so must defer to these people in the other states to inform me. And they say that the there is a lot of racial animus here that they did not experience back home. I think the lady moved here and was culturally shocked and didn't like what she had seen. I'm not going to deny her experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler