Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2010, 08:38 PM

5 posts, read 10,950 times

Advertisements

I am working on booking places to stay during our upcoming week long trip to PR. We are hoping to explore the island a bit and stay in a few different places. We've never been to PR, and perusing the web I'm finding many places, but with most having a variety of positive and negative reviews, it is hard to tell what would be a good option. I would love your recommendations! We are open to many options including hotel, parador, bed & breakfast, small inn, etc. Here are the things I'm looking for:

**Nightly cost of $100 or less
**Clean rooms & friendly staff

We will be doing a lot of exploring the island, so extensive amenities are not necessary as we will mostly be there to sleep...but a pool or oceanfront would be nice...as would a yummy restaurant in or near the premises...but these are not required.

We are looking for places to stay in the following locations:

1. Old San Juan (1 night)
2. Somewhere in Northwest (ie-Hatillo, Arecibo, Isabela, etc. for 2-3 nights)
3. Somewhere in Southeast (ie-Patillas, Arroyo, Yabucoa, or even Humacao for 2-3 nights)
4. Vieques (1 night)

I am looking forward to learning from your experiences. If there are any places you definitely DON'T recommend, that advice would be valued too.

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 12:31 AM

238 posts, read 1,071,892 times
Are there many hotels in the Southeast?

I can post pics of hotels in Old San Juan. later tho

Old 08-08-2010, 06:41 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,898,604 times
Davsot placed this link on another thread here. Nice place to visit, right in the center of the island.

ToroVerde park delivers in adventure in Puerto Rico | Gadling.com

Old 08-08-2010, 09:52 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,398,607 times
Good service at $100 or less is virtually unheard of. As far as the Northwest goes, I recommend Parador Vistamar in Quebradillas which is next to Isabela. Weekday rates are just slightly over $100. Great ocean view from any room given the parador's location atop of a hill. Room 305 is my favourite. Can't say it's a 5 star place with 5 star service, but neither is it bad. See the following link:

Parador Vistamar - Quebradillas, Puerto Rico - U.S.A. Toll Free: 1-888-391-0606 (http://www.paradorvistamar.com/pvm1024x768.html - broken link)

There are several restaurants with ocean views on the other side of the intersection. I recommend Restaurant Puente Blanco. It's a huge well serviced restaurant and the last one on that road.

WARNING: Do not stay in Parador Guajataca which is down hill and across the road from Vistamar! Not only is Guajataca more expensive, but the rooms are way under serviced. I had reservations in Guajataca in June of 2009. Upon arriving, I was made to wait over 45 minutes for the staff to attend me. I finally checked into my room which was decorated in depressing drab brown colors. The room had a connecting door to an adjacent room from which I could hear the guests. I requested another room. This new room was filled with insects given that a window screen was broken. . .and the window would not close!

I decided to leave Guajataca and asked for a refund. Nope! No-go! I departed minus $138 but was thrilled after checking into Vistamar.

Last edited by chacho_keva; 08-08-2010 at 10:14 AM..

Old 08-08-2010, 04:55 PM

Thanks for your help everyone! With your help and a TON of Google research and reading countless reviews on TripAdvisor (I think yours was on there chacho_keva, about Guajataca), I've been able to book places to stay in Isabela (Buenas Olas Hotel) and Ceiba (Ceiba Country Inn) and on Veiques (Seagate Hotel) for all $85 or less per night (visiting PR in the 'low season' helps!). You were right davsot, it appears there is next to nothing in terms of reasonable accommodations with good reviews in the southeast. Wonder why that is? Annie, thanks for the link about ToroVerde...sounds amazing!

We are counting down the days to our trip...it is intended to be an exploratory one for us (with a little vacationing thrown in) as we are investigating the potential of moving to the island next year.

I really appreciate the feedback received here on these forums...so helpful!

Old 08-08-2010, 10:31 PM

238 posts, read 1,071,892 times
I promised pics of hotels inside Old San Juan. these are just the ones that come to mind. There may be more.

Hotel El Convento

Hotel Plaza de Armas

Hotel Milano

Old 08-08-2010, 10:51 PM

Those are great Davsot! We ended up not electing to stay in OSJ, but I did look at all those places! El Convento ended up being a bit too pricey for us...though they have wonderful reviews! The Ho Jo in OSJ had a WIDE variety of reviews, but I couldn't get past that several of the rooms did not have any windows! That would make me claustrophobic! Hotel Milano seemed ideal in terms of price for our budget and decent reviews. But by that point we had restructured our itinerary. But these pics you posted are so much better than many I found online! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories