Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 12:11 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,695,114 times

Advertisements

One thing that I have always questioned is why do Puerto Ricans from PR always say "tu eres de alla fuera"? "You are from outside?" Is like if PR is a jungle and uncivilized so they say you are from alla fuera when talking about the US. Any inputs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 02:43 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,890,053 times
I think it's because it is outside of the island, that's what it means, anyway..

Old 09-15-2010, 06:37 PM

56 posts, read 152,992 times
I know one generally accepted answer to this poorly phrased question, but unless you or a moderator edits out what you wrote in regards to your very offensive, insulting, and racist comment about the jungle and civilization, then I will not give you or this forum the answer.

And while I am speaking on this, city data should not have an english only policy when most cities in the US, and especially Puerto Rico, have spansih speakers numebring almost 1/2 the population. In 20 years, Spanish will be included as an official language of the US, and not just English, the way PR is now. Maybe I should make a seperate thread on this.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by username3 View Post
I know one generally accepted answer to this poorly phrased question, but unless you or a moderator edits out what you wrote in regards to your very offensive, insulting, and racist comment about the jungle and civilization, then I will not give you or this forum the answer.

And while I am speaking on this, city data should not have an english only policy when most cities in the US, and especially Puerto Rico, have spansih speakers numebring almost 1/2 the population. In 20 years, Spanish will be included as an official language of the US, and not just English, the way PR is now. Maybe I should make a seperate thread on this.
Wow how can I be racist? I am Puerto Rican myself. I just wanted to know why do puerto ricans from PR say "alla afuera" that's all. And I did not intend to offend anybody..

Old 09-15-2010, 08:34 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by username3 View Post

There is no official language in the U.S.

Spanish is still spoken by a small minority of the population as a whole. Not even close to half. LA and a few other cities aren't "most" cities.

The site is private and most sites prefer one common language be spoken...

Old 09-15-2010, 09:35 PM

238 posts, read 1,071,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie of Oldsmar View Post
I think it's because it is outside of the island, that's what it means, anyway..
kudos

Old 09-15-2010, 10:25 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,175,995 times
Actually 'afuera' means everything outside PR, not just the US. My sister lives in Spain and my family says that she lives 'afuera', just like me. One curious thing I noticed when visiting Culebra, is that they call the main island Puerto Rico, even though Culebra is part of PR too. For example, if they take the ferry to Fajardo, they'll say "I'm going to Puerto Rico".

Old 09-16-2010, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie of Oldsmar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
Actually 'afuera' means everything outside PR, not just the US. My sister lives in Spain and my family says that she lives 'afuera', just like me. One curious thing I noticed when visiting Culebra, is that they call the main island Puerto Rico, even though Culebra is part of PR too. For example, if they take the ferry to Fajardo, they'll say "I'm going to Puerto Rico".
Thank you for your explanation.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:58 PM

239 posts, read 877,539 times
Quote:
The OP is referring to the specific term 'allá fuera' that people use specifically for the US. Why? I don't know. I always found the term kind of cute- the way it is phrased reminds me of someone talking about a far away land in a book...

I assume it started a longgggg time ago, maybe when the US was that far away land and not so easily accessible due to financial reasons or what have u.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:44 PM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Those islands are politically a part of the government that calls itself Puerto Rico; however, they are different islands from the main island, and as such, the main island happens to be named Puerto Rico, just like the government (or that should be in vice versa since the government took the name of the island, not the other way around). That's probably why when in Culebra, they say they're going to Puerto Rico; they mean the island of Puerto Rico more or less how from the main island people might say they're going to the island of Culebra.

BTW, I'm not Puerto Rican, but this is just me trying to make sense of it all by connecting a few dots. I'm probably right, if not pretty close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories