Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 06:51 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,110,059 times

Advertisements

aab

A lot of Cajuns are descendants of Islenos or Isleños, people from the Canary Islands, they were assimilated centuries ago by Acadians. Rural PR's and many PR are also Isleños in origin. I bet rural PR is far more similar to Cajun territory that most of the US, just guessing.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:27 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
Every Puerto Rican friend I have is as white as any midwesterner. They are from mostly rural areas too. Both groups seem easy going to me.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:42 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,110,059 times
Tallrick

I also knew a few PR in Miami a long time ago, during the 70's. They were entirely white.
Even the Mayor of Miami at that time was PR, and he was entirely white.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:46 PM

355 posts, read 717,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perlamaria View Post
Yes but most of the usually white people think they are coming here and expecting the white privilege that they get in the states I just want them to know that when you come here you have to earn respect if not you are going to have an ugly vacation because in here you are the minority and we are the mayority is not like in the states a white person call the police and the police goes and harass the minority in here you re not get that and get used to being the minority and experienced what we experience on the states biatch
Su mensajes son ridiculo, pero por lo menos eres consistentemente...biatch !

Seriously, what's the point of all this implied racial conflict. If this is how you self identify then good luck, it's a full time dead end job.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:33 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unPescador View Post
Su mensajes son ridiculo, pero por lo menos eres consistentemente...biatch !

Seriously, what's the point of all this implied racial conflict. If this is how you self identify then good luck, it's a full time dead end job.
Couldent have said it better

In all the time I have spent in Puerto Rico I have never once seen an "Ugly American" attitude on direct display. Most people nowadays have enough sense to not paint an entire people with a broad brush. Only ONCE have I encountered any animosity towards Americans or the United States ... and that person received an "attitude adjustment" from his fellow Puerto Ricans due to his actions.

I am not saying that everything has been picture perfect since 1898, I am not saying that the US has never done wrong in regards to Puerto Rico but it's time to look at the bigger picture. Blanton Winship is no longer sitting in La Fortaleza ...

Old 05-11-2013, 10:13 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,048,123 times
What do you call a celebrity from the U.S in a Latin American country?

A gRingo star!

Old 05-19-2013, 10:24 AM

318 posts, read 625,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westboundrambler View Post
What do you call a celebrity from the U.S in a Latin American country?

A gRingo star!
Wesley Snipes, Adam Sandler, yeah... Gringo means from the U.S.

American Countries don't like to refer to U.S. Americans as Americans because they consider themselves Americans and it would not sound logical, so they refer to u.S. Americans (regardless of skin color) as Estadounidenses (Spanish/Portuguese American countries) or Gringos (In Mexico).

Old 06-11-2013, 11:55 PM

199 posts, read 365,949 times
You find the same regional phenomena everywhere. I worked for a construction contractor/consulting firm several years ago and discovered that other engineering and construction staffers in the San Juan area would have this attitude towards their peers from the rest of the island (I'm from Ponce), until you proved them wrong. Similarly I found the folks in Augusta, GA where I lived and worked for 8 years not to be as polite, hospitable or earnest as their Southern peers from cities like Columbus, Warner/Robins or even Savannah, and certainly not as much as small-town aggie folks. Even in the the city of Santo Domingo de Osama I met some pretty arrogant, obtrusive businesspeople and customs officials, and Dominicans are notoriously friendly, warm people, in my experience.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:38 PM

199 posts, read 365,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
This thread is so full of ill-conceived stereotypes and self-hate it's not even funny.

First of all, the OP is enamored with the very fantastical view of 1960s Puerto Rico as the old baby boomers who emigrated to the CONUS metro centers during the 60s and 70s without proper education or command of the English language and reacted against the machine instead of assimilating like the rest of the immigrants from bona fide foregin countries. Strike one against the boricuas.

It's a façade, it doesn't exist. Folklore doesn't put food on the table, this is the problem with the context of the Puerto Rican "Nation". I wrote a paper on this topic in high school, got me in tons of fist fights, but had to be said. The Puerto Rican Nation is a shell of an idea, it has no content behind it. The economics, politics and history are those of a colony passed down empire to empire, with a people who by and large have not seen domestic blooshed. So OP, for your own sake, learn to differentiate between culture and folklore. N507 could learn that point as well.

As to the jab at mainlanders. Meh. Not every mainlander that comes down is an ugly American. The animosity that you quote against mainlanders is greatly overstated on your part. People at the airport are always pissed and ready to ge home. Ethnicity has nothing to do with it. Wanna see animosity? get on the direct Miami-Port Au Prince and you'll see Caribbean culture at its best. Or better yet, SJU-MCO direct, that's the best of the best as far as "boricuas" are concerned. I'm ashamed of what's going on in Kissimmee, FL. It's insane. So ethnicity has nothing to do with these anecdotes. You're just exhibiting white self-hate brother. Your enfatuation with Puerto Rican folklore (cute for a couple of months indeed) is skewing your perspective on the daily reality of the Puerto Rican condition in the island.

Try being a "gringa" who lost the semester @ UPR because of dumbstick politicking from pro-independence hoodlums who effectively shut down campus and are on the way of making UPR lose accreditation. Over England-style moaning about tuition hikes...which is preposterous when one finds out that the cost per credit @ UPR is...get ready for it.....$50 measly bucks a credit. I rest my case. US DEpt of Education should stop backing loans to Rican institutions, have the populace pay it off working at Plaza Las Americas for all the whining they're exhibiting over NOTHING. At any rate, said gringa was my parent's tenant in the old house and left back home to Washington state, 2 years wasted and no degree, and left in time too, semester later wham! strike and semester cancelled.. What do you think she's gonna tell the good folks of the Pac NW about our precious isla del encanto? Better yet, what do you think she SHOULD tell em. As a first generation Puerto Rican I hope she shreds the façade open and tells it straight....I would.

Puerto Rico is an American territory enamored with american style consumption, American technology, American values of upward mobility, but with a Caribbean folkloric historical context that gives its populace the impression they are a "Nation". They're not. No more "Nation" than a Texan or an Ecuatorian encláve in South Florida.... Miss Universe Puerto Rico and olympic representation be damned... So are the gladiator games that keeps the denizens appeased and embracing of their relative dispossession.

As to N507.. Slow down brother, your point is noted about the cultural perception of nationality among the collective in the island. That's noted but that trend doesn't make it historical fact. I am Puerto Rican. Born, raised, K-12, graduated high school there. Lived there more years to date than I have in the States. And I am not a Puerto Rican National. I AM an AMERICAN. Red white and effing blue. I salute ol'Glory and ol Glory alone when in uniform, never the Puerto Rican flag, a mere territorial flag. Popped out the womb, blue citizenship in hand. Don't speak for all of us. Your national distinction between Puerto Rican and American is invalid. Puerto Rico is not a country of its own. It's an unincorporated territory. A colony if you want to get cynical (and at that, a self-chosen one, which is not very complimentary to the PRican war cry, when compared to Cubans, Dominicans and oh say, all of the South American Continent. ouch!). I was born into a territory of my Nation, I serve under my Nation, I was educated under my Nations laws and shortcomings, and I'll continue to fight to see this Country not go by the wayside. My cultural and folkloric archetype and make up is noted, it does not detract from my American Nationality. It is only the tired bourgeoisie that equate bi-lingualism and embrace for Our Citizenship as cultural suicide that feeds that misconception of Puerto Rican nationality. But not all of us embrace that view.

I frankly don't care if PR ever becomes a state or not. People have made their own bed down there. It's a management of the status quo. the fact the island actually lost population in the last census is indicative of the irrelevancy of the island in terms of contributing to the welfare and betterment of the United States. As a contributor to Puerto Rican brain drain, I stand behind that statement. It's a great place to visit and a terrible place to live. My parents will die there as they have no intention of restarting their social circles. other than that, they are completely focused on gaining access to more frequent travel to see their children up in the CONUS, as they know there is no future for their kin down there. This is frank discussion about where the island is headed, not de facto giving legitimacy to the puerto rican nation with this dumb enfatuation over arroz con gandules, turrón en Navidades, lechón asáo, ol San Juan postcards, olympic games representation and frekin Gilberto Santa Rosa collector DVDs. Give it up already. Folklore != culture. For every folkloric icon I have an American Express, 3G iphone obsession, FAFSA forms, federal grants, federal jobs, american 401Ks, to counter with to suggest Ricans are just as red white and blue as the nasty lady looking for the United counter at the airport.
Hey, great for you, now wave your little flag and light your firecracker. As for you leaving Puerto Rico and being part of the diaspora, well...I wouldn't necessarily call that a bad thing from where I'm standing, as this place was getting too crowded anyway. You go on and enjoy your indenturement to Uncle Sam, I'll go get some fixings from my FINCA and make myself a SANCOCHO while I look at the tropical countryside out of my property tax-free home and check the statements on my federal income tax-free Puerto Rico fixed income bond funds and listen to some SALSA. Have fun on the drill field, Slick.

Last edited by expatriado; 07-09-2013 at 09:41 PM.. Reason: redaction error

Old 07-11-2013, 08:47 PM

25 posts, read 194,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriado View Post
Hey, great for you, now wave your little flag and light your firecracker. As for you leaving Puerto Rico and being part of the diaspora, well...I wouldn't necessarily call that a bad thing from where I'm standing, as this place was getting too crowded anyway. You go on and enjoy your indenturement to Uncle Sam, I'll go get some fixings from my FINCA and make myself a SANCOCHO while I look at the tropical countryside out of my property tax-free home and check the statements on my federal income tax-free Puerto Rico fixed income bond funds and listen to some SALSA. Have fun on the drill field, Slick.
My sentiments exactly hermano. I'm shocked a boricua could hate puerto rico so much. Oh well. I love it here. I hope everyone finds a place they love that's as beautiful as this isla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories