Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2012, 06:29 PM

103 posts, read 302,227 times

Advertisements

So Im in the military stationed in PR. Just got orders to move to Illinois and as part of the process I have to comply with requirements to move my two cars out of PR.

Last week took one of my cars (which I bought in Colorado) and the guy doing the investigation at the PR Police Stolen Vehicles Dpt in Bayamon told me that my car couldnt been taken out of PR because the hood and trunk lid didn't had some labels that it need it to comply with local law. I explain the agent to no avail that if the car was inspected in Texas and was allowed to be ship to PR, how in the world I couldn't take it back to the states. His solution for me was to have installed new parts to the vehicle and have them registered with local DTOP so I could ship it. That process would had cost me $3500!! Next day I go to another precint to get a second opinion and that inspection went good, I got the certificate I needed and was able to ship my car with no further problems. Just imagine if I had not decided to get a 2nd opinion!!?

This week trying to ship my other vehicle, one that I bought in PR on June 2011, the DTOP is telling I cant ship it because the process of registration is not complete and they have up to 12 months to complete the process.... A YEAR!!!? How in the world it takes a year to register a car!!! Not to mention that once I get to Illinois and need to have the car register there!! When I bought my car in Colorado it took me 3 weeks to have it registered!! My mom tells me in Fl is about the same!! So here I am with a car stuck in PR, paying for it and probably wont be able to ship it unitl July or August at the earliest!!

I'm just so glad that I'm leaving PR, it's sad to see what this island has become.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 01:13 AM

81 posts, read 301,518 times
my brother in law had the same issue..except it was when the car arrived to the island. Same $3500 for 3 stickers (hood and both fenders). When i got here i bought an island POS and plan on letting it rot at the airport when i leave.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:59 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Incompetent government reigns supreme, sorry you had a bad experience. Everyone does at some point

Old 05-09-2012, 04:26 PM

7 posts, read 33,683 times
I ask myself the same thing, every day.

Sorry you had a bad experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories