Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2017, 04:11 PM

529 posts, read 1,087,167 times

Advertisements

For years there's been a myth of who is leaving Puerto Rico to find better opportunities in the United States. Obviously the answer to this question is, " The ones leaving are Professionals, College graduates, the highly educated and so on down the line.

HOWEVER, two recent studies have shed some light on this dilema, " Who is really leaving Puerto Rico?"

Because myths DIE HARD and word of mouth gossip has a life of its own on the internet, almost everyone swears that the island is being vacated of the middle class and of professionals , leaving the unemployed, the underclass, the criminal elements and dependent folks behind to continue living on the island as best they can.

Hunter College and recently the Pontifical Catholic University of Ponce have come out with new findings. These were published recently in Puerto Rico's EL DIA news paper.

Both studies found that SEVENTY EIGHT PERCENT of those leaving the island are folks with barely a high school dipolma making less than $10,000 a year. Many are single mothers hoping to enroll in welfare programs, which by the way pay more than if they have stayed on the island.

TWENTY TWO PERCENT are indeed professionals of many fields. Teachers out number all other professions. Many are recruited to work in Texas, Kansas and where ever there are large numbers of Spanish speaking children. Many are told they don't even have to teach in English, because the programs are BILINGUAL, which to many in Puerto Rico means, in Spanish only.

Although these numbers are incredulous to many people, they are what they are until someone comes up with something else.

Im sure many here will have ANECDOTAL "evidence" that they know a doctor here, or a brain surgeon there who have migrated. Sometimes it's nice to believe what we want to believe, but the EVIDENCE is in these studies.

Now, mind you, Up to today, the end of March 2017, THERE IS NO SIGNIFICANT BRAIN DRAIN IN PUERTO RICO. There seems to be a drain of the very poor and underclass towards Florida, Connecticutt, Massaschusetts and Illinois. Most other states seem to be attracting a trickle of the out flow.

Some statistics put the emigrant flow close, or even above five million, passing the outflow of the early fifties.

In all this commotion, Puerto Rico will soon prepare to storm Congress with a petition for Statehood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 04:39 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,110,162 times
It's being reported as the largest mass migration in American history ... even bigger than the "Oakies" in the Dust Bowl. The irony of it all? It would be cheaper to simply give Puerto Rico state-like funding for Medicare/Medicaid, and the EITC than it is for all of these people to move to Florida and hatch on to their system.

In addition to teachers, law enforcement are also highly prized. Baltimore, Nashville, Des Moines, and Charlotte are currently looking to hire Puerto Rican cops.

Old 04-05-2017, 04:44 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,397,254 times
Many years ago, while visiting Puerto Rico, I said something to a close friend who resided on the island. I said, "Armando, the current state of this society is unsustainable (el estado actual de esta sociedad es insostenible)."

Here's what prompted me to say that:
- The apparent "having a good time all the time" mentality of many
- The apparent lack of appreciation and pride in one's line of work by some
- The overt intention of retiring early by going on Permanent Disability by many
- The "No We Can't - Protest Everything" mentality of many
- The conducting of business via connections
- The poor quality of customer services

My friend said I had lost faith in my people. He was right. I lost faith in my own people long before that conversation. I'm not proud of that. Neither was I proud of what Puerto Rico and some Boricuas had turned into.

There was a time in which, like many, I felt immense Boricua Pride in what we were. Aside from sports and music, I recall a period in which Boricua men played hard, but took great care of their families through hard work. When work was not found on the island, off to Mainland USA they went in search of work which they always found. That all changed towards the end of my teen years in the late 70's. By the time I was in my 30's, I recall visiting the island and not understanding what had happened. The hard work ethic was being eroded by slack and sloth.

If I had to paint an image of what I was witnessing then, it was as if 4 skinny guys were lifting the massive weight of 6 obese guys above their heads. That could only last for so long. That was unsustainable.

Today, with it's massive debt, 11.5% sales tax, fleeting youth, high unemployment, decreasing tax base, etc., Puerto Rico appears to be headed into some sort of catastrophic period. I really hope I'm wrong.

Old 04-13-2017, 12:54 PM

529 posts, read 1,087,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Many years ago, while visiting Puerto Rico, I said something to a close friend who resided on the island. I said, "Armando, the current state of this society is unsustainable (el estado actual de esta sociedad es insostenible)."

Here's what prompted me to say that:
- The apparent "having a good time all the time" mentality of many
- The apparent lack of appreciation and pride in one's line of work by some
- The overt intention of retiring early by going on Permanent Disability by many
- The "No We Can't - Protest Everything" mentality of many
- The conducting of business via connections
- The poor quality of customer services

My friend said I had lost faith in my people. He was right. I lost faith in my own people long before that conversation. I'm not proud of that. Neither was I proud of what Puerto Rico and some Boricuas had turned into.

There was a time in which, like many, I felt immense Boricua Pride in what we were. Aside from sports and music, I recall a period in which Boricua men played hard, but took great care of their families through hard work. When work was not found on the island, off to Mainland USA they went in search of work which they always found. That all changed towards the end of my teen years in the late 70's. By the time I was in my 30's, I recall visiting the island and not understanding what had happened. The hard work ethic was being eroded by slack and sloth.

If I had to paint an image of what I was witnessing then, it was as if 4 skinny guys were lifting the massive weight of 6 obese guys above their heads. That could only last for so long. That was unsustainable.

Today, with it's massive debt, 11.5% sales tax, fleeting youth, high unemployment, decreasing tax base, etc., Puerto Rico appears to be headed into some sort of catastrophic period. I really hope I'm wrong.

Puerto Rico can be nick named the Island of Cork. In water, cork floats, never sinks.

With all the catastrophic news coming from Puerto Rico,

1- Shopping Malls are packed. During holidays people are seen with carts full of toys, TV sets, clothes, you name they buy it.

2- There are long lines out side movies, specially ones playing on humongous screens and cost more.

3- La Placita de Santurce, where basically Puerto Ricans go for music, dancing and High end gourmet food, is jammed from Thursday to Sunday. Guyanabo, where the rich and famous of the isla live and play is also packed 24/7 with luxury cars, restaurants and massive traffic jams.

4- Gourmet restaurants are opening all over the island, attracting folks from San Juan to the mountains. By gourmet I don't mean Olive Gardens, Red Lobster mcDonalds or Kentucky fried, I mean restaurants with entrees starting at $30.00.

5- Roads are in an eternal traffic jam. The cars you see aren't the battered pick up trucks you see all over Mississippi or Kissimmee Florida. They are Mercedes Benz, One or two Maserati, thousands of new SUVs of all makes and prices.

6- The stores in the Mall of San Juan are like those in 5th Ave or Madison Ave NY. Plaza las Americans, jammed almost 24/7 is not too far behind. Wall Mart considered in the US the retail of the poor is also jammed 24/7 in all parts of the island by rich and poor.

7- Sure, many are leaving Puerto Rico, however it doesn't seem to be the profesional class like we all thought. Recent studies have found that its the poor who are leaving in droves, to enhance the life style of those already living in Florida.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clip314 View Post
Puerto Rico can be nick named the Island of Cork. In water, cork floats, never sinks.

1- Shopping Malls are packed. During holidays people are seen with carts full of toys, TV sets, clothes, you name they buy it.

2- There are long lines out side movies, specially ones playing on humongous screens and cost more.

3- La Placita de Santurce, where basically Puerto Ricans go for music, dancing and High end gourmet food, is jammed from Thursday to Sunday. Guyanabo, where the rich and famous of the isla live and play is also packed 24/7 with luxury cars, restaurants and massive traffic jams.

4- Gourmet restaurants are opening all over the island, attracting folks from San Juan to the mountains. By gourmet I don't mean Olive Gardens, Red Lobster mcDonalds or Kentucky fried, I mean restaurants with entrees starting at $30.00.

5- Roads are in an eternal traffic jam. The cars you see aren't the battered pick up trucks you see all over Mississippi or Kissimmee Florida. They are Mercedes Benz, One or two Maserati, thousands of new SUVs of all makes and prices.

6- The stores in the Mall of San Juan are like those in 5th Ave or Madison Ave NY. Plaza las Americans, jammed almost 24/7 is not too far behind. Wall Mart considered in the US the retail of the poor is also jammed 24/7 in all parts of the island by rich and poor.

7- Sure, many are leaving Puerto Rico, however it doesn't seem to be the profesional class like we all thought. Recent studies have found that its the poor who are leaving in droves, to enhance the life style of those already living in Florida.
Though your points are valid, I fail to see how they have anything to do with Puerto Rico's massive/unaddressed problems. I too have seen much of what you've mentioned. Regardless, it doesn't change the current realities of the island. I guess people living on the island will walk right into catastrophe while still having a good time.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:13 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clip314 View Post

My DIL has left Puerto Rico, probably for good. She has a masters in architecture and did not feel like there were enough opportunities there. Her parents, grandparents and two brothers will always stay there. Father has a construction company, older brother is a lawyer, younger brother is still a student, but will probably stay in the construction company. Grandparents are very comfortable financially, and parents also.

It is all about opportunities for employment. Otherwise, I think everyone there seems very contented. There is a vibe, and a lifestyle there that is missing when you come to the mainland.

My son doesn't speak Spanish, so while I can see that in the far distant future, after his military career is over, and she is licensed, there could be a way for them to live there, at least part time, but by then they will have some children entrenched in school, etc.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:25 PM

270 posts, read 198,614 times
From my observations, Puerto Ricans who are not looking for work go way up north to NYC, Massachusetts, Upstate NY, Cleveland, Detroit, etc and end up on disability. Those who DO want to work move to Florida, Texas, Virginia and Arizona and are doing quite well--rapidly moving into the middle class.

Old 04-21-2017, 05:49 PM

Here's one big reason why I don't see myself living in Puerto Rico ever again:

News from The Associated Press

Sin resolver el problema de los vertederos desbordados en Puerto Rico | El Nuevo Día

I was personally involved in the effort to introduce Waste-to-Energy (WTE) into PR; an effort that's been ongoing since 1988 and has yet to materialize. WTE opponents on the island are to blame for this. They were and still are quick to oppose WTE, yet offer NOTHING equal to or better than what WTE proponents brought to the table.

WTE is currently on the table in PR again. But, as always, the ignorant opponents have already labeled the project as "El incinerador de la muerte (The death incinerator)."

So, to all those contemplating leaving PR, please factor this dilemma into your equation. According to the "Administración de Desperdicios Solidos de Puerto Rico (PR Solid Waste Administration)," between 2020 and 2024, there will probably be no active landfills left on the island.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:34 PM

109 posts, read 330,976 times
Smile Let's agree to disagree

[quote=clip314;47676351]For years there's been a myth of who is leaving Puerto Rico to find better opportunities in the United States. Obviously the answer to this question is, " The ones leaving are Professionals, College graduates, the highly educated and so on down the line.

HOWEVER, two recent studies have shed some light on this dilema, " Who is really leaving Puerto Rico?"

Because myths DIE HARD and word of mouth gossip has a life of its own on the internet, almost everyone swears that the island is being vacated of the middle class and of professionals , leaving the unemployed, the underclass, the criminal elements and dependent folks behind to continue living on the island as best they can.

Hunter College and recently the Pontifical Catholic University of Ponce have come out with new findings. These were published recently in Puerto Rico's EL DIA news paper.

Both studies found that SEVENTY EIGHT PERCENT of those leaving the island are folks with barely a high school dipolma making less than $10,000 a year. Many are single mothers hoping to enroll in welfare programs, which by the way pay more than if they have stayed on the island.

TWENTY TWO PERCENT are indeed professionals of many fields. Teachers out number all other professions. Many are recruited to work in Texas, Kansas and where ever there are large numbers of Spanish speaking children. Many are told they don't even have to teach in English, because the programs are BILINGUAL, which to many in Puerto Rico means, in Spanish only.

Although these numbers are incredulous to many people, they are what they are until someone comes up with something else.

Im sure many here will have ANECDOTAL "evidence" that they know a doctor here, or a brain surgeon there who have migrated. Sometimes it's nice to believe what we want to believe, but the EVIDENCE is in these studies.

Now, mind you, Up to today, the end of March 2017, THERE IS NO SIGNIFICANT BRAIN DRAIN IN PUERTO RICO. There seems to be a drain of the very poor and underclass towards Florida, Connecticutt, Massaschusetts and Illinois. Most other states seem to be attracting a trickle of the out flow.

Some statistics put the emigrant flow close, or even above five million, passing the outflow of the early fifties.

In all this commotion, Puerto Rico will soon prepare to storm Congress with a petition for Statehood. :smac

Old 05-19-2017, 08:55 PM

109 posts, read 330,976 times
I think the findings on the study are a bit off or do not represent the actual facts. My husband and I both born in the states, raised in Puerto Rico, have lived in the island almost our entire life. In 2010, decided it was time to leave when the financial and job situation in Puerto Rico started declining and showing signs of no return.

My husband was working overseas at the time and was offered a job in Houston so we took the opportunity. I think the professionals have left and are leaving the island to this day. Have many friends with Masters Degree in Psychology, lawyers and teachers who have left and have found their way of life here in Texas (in this case), so I do think there is a significant brain drain in Puerto Rico, maybe not to the extent that sometimes the newspapers want to portrait.

My 2 cents on the Statehood subject: No matter how many times politicians in Puerto Rico try to push for the Statehood in the US Congress it will never happen; people in Puerto Rico simply don't want to be a state and they would not know how to behave like one, not in a million years.

I am not a believer or fond of "studies" since they don't always reflect the actual facts and being from Puerto Rico I can attest to have seen and lived the day to day and generalizing referencing on percentages or statistics not necessarily make it true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories