Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 05:53 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times

Advertisements

The closing was Hovensa on St. Croix. There was a mass exodus of the suddenly unemployed statesiders when that happened, and it is my understanding that the real estate market took a beating during that time...suddenly there was a glut of housing.

Have you decided on an island yet? Sounds as if you are leaning toward STT. One thing I'd mention is that STT is much easier to book flights from. Of course, St. John is just across the water and you catch the ferry, catch the plane, and you're gone. On STX, you're either going to STT and most likely to Puerto Rico before you really start your trip, although the seaplane is pretty fun to take from STX to STT. Oh, STX has major flights out, but I always enjoyed starting my trip with a little seaplane adventure, spending some time on St. Thomas, and then wandering on. I don't know how it is now, but the seaplane used to have little real scheduling. They had a vague idea of when they wanted to leave, it just didn't always work out. I say that to say don't use that for your connection to your main flight out of St. Thomas unless you are on a really leisurely schedule or have a number of hours between connecting flights. It may have improved - sadly, I haven't been back in a couple of years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 11:58 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Sam, the connecting flights between STX and STT via Seaborne and Cape Air have vastly improved since you were here. As much as some things remain the same where "island time" is concerned, other things do improve!

It's obvious that Longisland appears to have done very little research about the USVI in general and about moving here. He needs to not only do a lot more research but take a serious PMV to whichever island seems to best suit him after doing that research. You can only lead the horse to water ... !!!

Old 07-09-2013, 12:08 PM

51 posts, read 82,761 times
Cool Actually, to set the record straight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Sam, the connecting flights between STX and STT via Seaborne and Cape Air have vastly improved since you were here. As much as some things remain the same where "island time" is concerned, other things do improve!

It's obvious that Longisland appears to have done very little research about the USVI in general and about moving here. He needs to not only do a lot more research but take a serious PMV to whichever island seems to best suit him after doing that research. You can only lead the horse to water ... !!!
Hah, on the contrary, I've been pouring over message boards, blogs, forums, and asking around from those who have been there before me. You can only gleam so much from online and I regardless, I will be there (STT) shortly. If you don't have anything else to contribute, STT Resident, I appreciate the help you have given already and maybe will see you around next month

*shrug* What you think is obvious might not really be the case, but carry on...People can choose to be helpful or they can choose to just chatter...

Old 07-09-2013, 12:13 PM

51 posts, read 82,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
The closing was Hovensa on St. Croix. There was a mass exodus of the suddenly unemployed statesiders when that happened, and it is my understanding that the real estate market took a beating during that time...suddenly there was a glut of housing.

Have you decided on an island yet? Sounds as if you are leaning toward STT. One thing I'd mention is that STT is much easier to book flights from. Of course, St. John is just across the water and you catch the ferry, catch the plane, and you're gone. On STX, you're either going to STT and most likely to Puerto Rico before you really start your trip, although the seaplane is pretty fun to take from STX to STT. Oh, STX has major flights out, but I always enjoyed starting my trip with a little seaplane adventure, spending some time on St. Thomas, and then wandering on. I don't know how it is now, but the seaplane used to have little real scheduling. They had a vague idea of when they wanted to leave, it just didn't always work out. I say that to say don't use that for your connection to your main flight out of St. Thomas unless you are on a really leisurely schedule or have a number of hours between connecting flights. It may have improved - sadly, I haven't been back in a couple of years.
Hi, Sam. Thanks for the clarification. I did decide on STT at least for the fact that it has been described to be a bit more lively in terms of general "hustle and bustle" but I really was interested in the cultural acitivies and events that seem to happen on STX. I'll definitely try experiencing that little sea plane adventure - I island hopped back in Hawaii and it was something different.

Thanks for the tips/information

Old 08-11-2013, 08:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,764 times
Hey LiquidFlouride, great posts. any updates? did you go through the process of bringing/registering your gun? what is your take on the crime? I am doing a PMV at the end of Aug with my wife and young daughter.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:06 AM

26 posts, read 52,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post

If you don't mind, I'd like to know what the housing market is like today. Is there still a glut of housing available or are things relatively recovered since that shutdown? Is Craigslist a reliable source for housing there, an often used web-site, or is better to try elsewhere?

Also, any word on how simple it is to rent an apartment that's already fully or somewhat off the grid?

Old 08-15-2014, 09:35 AM

26 posts, read 52,099 times
Did you ever make it down? Care to share your experience?

Old 08-15-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisa84 View Post
If you don't mind, I'd like to know what the housing market is like today. Is there still a glut of housing available or are things relatively recovered since that shutdown? Is Craigslist a reliable source for housing there, an often used web-site, or is better to try elsewhere?

Also, any word on how simple it is to rent an apartment that's already fully or somewhat off the grid?
The VI Moving Center (VIMovingCenter - The Ultimate Resource for Relocating and Living in the Virgin Islands) has an active forum to which many residents of St Croix contribute and they also have an active classified ad section where many STX landlords advertise their rental properties so you can get a good idea from there. Craigslist is an excellent source but, as with craigslist anywhere, there are scams to watch out for! Good luck with your research!

Old 08-15-2014, 03:27 PM

300 posts, read 438,682 times
Lots of available rentals in STX economy still downward sprial.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:28 AM

^^^ Local reports seem to indicate otherwise with real estate agents reporting a consistent rise in sales and a deal in progress for the sale of the refinery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories