Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 07:27 AM

9 posts, read 36,613 times

Advertisements

Basically I am looking to hang by the beach. I will be spending 2 days in San Juan, 1 day in the Yunque rainforest and also spending 2 days and the Gran Melia.

Is it neccesary to go to Culebra or Vieques? Which island has the better beach? Anything you can offer will help. How much of a hassle is the ferry? It will be just me and my girlfriend and we are traveling to PR to relax and explore!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 12:44 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,394,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmalkin118 View Post
Basically I am looking to hang by the beach. I will be spending 2 days in San Juan, 1 day in the Yunque rainforest and also spending 2 days and the Gran Melia.

Is it neccesary to go to Culebra or Vieques? Which island has the better beach? Anything you can offer will help. How much of a hassle is the ferry? It will be just me and my girlfriend and we are traveling to PR to relax and explore!
Is it necessary to go to Culebra or Vieques? Not really.

But if you do, Culebra is probably the place you should go.

I've not been to Vieques yet, but have been to Culebra once and will most definitely go again!

Flying is the absolute best way to get there. That's how I went and was glad for it. It was a 75 dollar, 12 minute, hassle free flight from the main island. Everyone I know who's travelled to Culebra via the ferry has hated the experience. Sure, the ferry is only $20, but it takes one hour, and from what I've been told, you may have to wait for the next ferry if enough people cut in line ahead of you.

As The Most Interesting Man In The World would probably say:

I don't go island hopping each time I'm in Puerto Rico. But when I do . . . Culebra is the place I go! Stay thristy, my friend!

Old 02-20-2013, 01:13 PM

9 posts, read 36,613 times
What airline did you fly with?

Old 02-21-2013, 08:19 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,176,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Flying is the absolute best way to get there. That's how I went and was glad for it. It was a 75 dollar, 12 minute, hassle free flight from the main island.
Wow, prices sure have gone up. Back in 1999, I missed the ferry and drove to the Fajardo airport. The flight took 15 minutes and cost $20 per person. The ferry was $2. Looking out the window, we saw the ferry and it wasn't even halfway there, despite leaving earlier.

By the way, if you have to choose, choose Culebra. Avoid it during Holy Week though.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:44 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,470,554 times
Vieques has many stunning beaches. However, traveling to and from the island for 1 day can be a bit tricky and the publicos don't go to many beaches. You almost have to rent a car ahead of time to see the best beaches. Airfare from San Juan is pretty expensive. Fajardo and Ceiba are cheaper. The ferry can sometimes be unreliable especially in bad weather. For the best information, check out the forum on Tripadvisor. Many reliable experts there to answer your questions!

Isla de Vieques Forum, Travel Discussion for Isla de Vieques - TripAdvisor

Old 02-22-2013, 11:36 AM

1,238 posts, read 4,470,554 times
Here is the Tripadvisor forum for Culebra:

Culebra Forum, Travel Discussion for Culebra - TripAdvisor

We would have loved to take a day trip to Culebra when we stayed a week in Vieques. Unfortunately, there are no direct flights (except maybe an expensive charter) or ferries between the two that I know of. Pity!

Old 02-26-2013, 07:53 PM

14 posts, read 35,425 times
Go to Kayaking Snorkeling Bio Bay Bioluminescent Tours Excursions Puerto Rico

You should do the Aquafari (Culebra) and Bio Bay (Fajardo).

The Aquafari includes the tickets for the ferry and the transportation in Culebra. The ferry is fun if you go outside, you might see dolphins swimming around. It is a "one day" excursion that starts in Fajardo-Culebra-Fajardo. It is a group, so you will never be alone or lost, it is safe and they guarantee you the spot, but you have to be on time. The ferry will leave at 9am with or without you. (belive me, they closed the gate in my face..... 5 seconds.... 5 seconds)
You have to be at the port early (around 8:00 am).

They take you to the wonderful beach of Flamenco (one of the top beaches of the world Best Beaches in the World - Travelers' Choice Awards - TripAdvisor), kayaking and snorkeling.

I think you will be back to the main island around 6pm. So you can plan the day for both excursions (aquafari and bio bay) Bio Bay is one of the most romantic and wonderful experience ever. That is my top spot to visit in Puerto Rico. It is better if there is no moon, full moon can take the magic away. So check the moon phases calendar before booking that tour. (I recommend the 8:30 pm excursion)

Ahhhh, I miss my beautiful island so much!!!!!! If you have any question, send me a message, I'll be glad to help you!!!

Old 02-27-2013, 09:37 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,583,453 times
I second the Bio Bay tour, it was awesome. I would advise NOT doing the kayak tour though. Do the pontoon tour. It looked as if the kayakers were doing so much work with paddling and trying to follow a blinking light to stay on route that they didn't get to really see the bay. It seemed very impersonal. This is only my opinion.

We were on the pontoon with guides who told us the history and facts of the bay, brought buckets of water on board, let us climb down the ladder to touch the water, etc.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:59 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,892,327 times
Culebra is the best beach to go. Voted one of the best over and over. A little known secret place in Puerto Rico.

TripAdvisor users rate the best U.S. and world beaches

Old 03-11-2013, 10:39 AM

917 posts, read 2,005,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
I second the Bio Bay tour, it was awesome. I would advise NOT doing the kayak tour though. Do the pontoon tour. It looked as if the kayakers were doing so much work with paddling and trying to follow a blinking light to stay on route that they didn't get to really see the bay. It seemed very impersonal. This is only my opinion.

We were on the pontoon with guides who told us the history and facts of the bay, brought buckets of water on board, let us climb down the ladder to touch the water, etc.
I am thinking about doing the biobay tour when I go to pr next month. However I am staying in san juan and not sure about traveling back late from the biobay back to the guest house we're staying at. I guess I need a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories