Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 08:47 AM

297 posts, read 472,681 times

Advertisements

Should all US territories besides the minor outlining islands (not that I have anything against them) be states? I would go with yes.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:25 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,105,281 times
I agree entirely, we should abolish the concept of territories - this is 2013 not 1913. We should find a way to directly incorporate these islands into the Federal union, if not statehood then some form of incorporated territory with full citizenship rights and obligations.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:57 PM

Agreed for some Reason I personally believe that the Hawaii islands and the Rest of the Pacific islands should merge to form the State of the US Pacific Islands while PR and US Virgin should Merge and form US Caribbean Islands.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:12 PM

While the Pacific islands especially Guam and the Northern Mariana Islands are culturally similar the USVI and Puerto Rico are not. The USVI is largely Black and English speaking, PR is largely Hispanic and Spanish speaking.

In recent years the governments of both Guam and the Mariana's have spoken of 'unification' with the long term goal of statehood and I think it's a viable prospect.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:16 PM

The USVI is largely Black and English speaking, PR is largely Hispanic and Spanish speaking.

USVI = English Good. Black is fine seeing Racial segration days are over
PR= We already have a lot Hispanics and Spanish speaking and a good amount of Puerto Ricans are in the States anyways.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishabad View Post
The USVI is largely Black and English speaking, PR is largely Hispanic and Spanish speaking.

USVI = English Good. Black is fine seeing Racial segration days are over
PR= We already have a lot Hispanics and Spanish speaking and a good amount of Puerto Ricans are in the States anyways.
I ment that as in reference as to why PR and the USVI cannot unify as a single state.

I believe Puerto Rico is the only US territory that will achieve statehood in the near future, it will be awhile before the others get the ball rolling.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:01 PM

Yeah but the others have pressure if PR becomes a state. The also okay on why they can't unify together it makes sense

Old 02-23-2013, 06:13 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,394,513 times
For the interim time, I would vote to not allow Puerto Rico to become a state. At least not until law and order are re-established. Another condition I would impose is for the Puerto Rican government to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the great majority of its residents are off gov't sustenance.

Puerto Rico needs to place itself in a position where it is capable of offering and bringing something to the table in exchange for statehood.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
For the interim time, I would vote to not allow Puerto Rico to become a state. At least not until law and order are re-established. Another condition I would impose is for the Puerto Rican government to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the great majority of its residents are off gov't sustenance.

Puerto Rico needs to place itself in a position where it is capable of offering and bringing something to the table in exchange for statehood.
The thing is though is that statehood could bring an economic boom similar to what happened in Alaska and Hawaii after they became states - this would lead to a reduction in the number of residents on government assistance programs.

Furthermore, just because the Federal government says that x% fall below the poverty level does not necessarily mean that the person lives in poverty. The underground economy is big on the island and many Puerto Ricans make more than they claim to make to their tax forms.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:39 AM

Okay but what about the other territories. Would they have a chance if Puerto Rico becomes a state? A good ammount of people tbh dont even know what the other territories are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories