Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 08:03 AM

77 posts, read 282,216 times

Advertisements

Michael,

Based on what I've read, you and your wife would do great in a small town like Rincon. Rincon has many americans that moved to the island to surf all year long because it is way cheaper and closer than Hawaii. I would agree with all previous posters and suggest you rent for the first 6 month to a year. That way you can bail out if something doesn't work as expected.

PR is very expensive when compared to cities in Texas or somewhere in Ohio, but coming from San Diego you will actually pay less in Puerto Rico for almost everything except electricity. And talking about electricity, please be advice that you will have to run a mediocre Air Conditioner almost 12 hours a day at $0.30/KwH and that is very expensive. We used to pay almost $350 a month for our electric bill in our 3b/2bath house.

Vehicles are also expensive in PR. In PR a Honda civic will cost you what an Accord costs in the states. A Corolla will cost as a Camry and so on. Medical insurance is cheaper and groceries might be cheaper compared to CA but here in TX we buy cheaper that what we paid in PR.

The other BIG pain is dealing with government agencies and bureaucracy. If you think going to the DMV is bad in the states... wait till you get there. Getting electric service is another day spent fighting with government employees. Same goes with water service and all government issues.

In general, you are young, no kids, have a secured job, I'll say go for it. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 01:54 PM

300 posts, read 439,189 times
Since you aked for strangers opinions on an open internet forum, I'll give you mine...
GO FOR IT. Don't over think it. Roll with your instintics. This is the time of your life to take risks. Some finer points:
1) I wouldn't purchase a home right off the bat. I'd rent for six months or so just to get the "lay of the land". That will also allow pleanty of time to look at all the availble opitions (boots on the ground due dilengence) and get a handle on your basic expenses. Real Estate moves pretty slow in the territories compared to CA
2) Plan on having guests. Rent a space that can accomodate guests. It will put your family's mind at ease knowing that your are OK. You can also mantain bonds and ties with your old friends. A stong suppoert system is key to any healthy marriage.
3) Plan on flying home at least once a year.
4) Plan on flying home if you have any serious medical problems or if you encounter an overwhelming emergency. (I had a big limit credit card exclusively for this contigiousy, which I used to "escape" three weeks after Hurricane Marilyn destroyed my home and all it's contents on StT)
5) Don't be surprised that after you have kids you want to go back to the states. Or you may just want to leave. It's OK. Know when to move on. Discuss "exit stragies" with your soon-tobe-wife. Make sure you are both on the same page.
6) I lived in both the USVI / PR and CA and NE. Out of the three, PR was by far the least expensive for me, even with a pretty nice life style. I felt "rich" in PR, where as I feel "moderate" in CA. I lived in SJ for 9 months as young-single professional circa '90. and Lived in "southern PR" as single mom with 2 school aged children for 2 yrs. My late husband was PR. Less is more in PR. After two-three months you'll understand this.
7) You'll find many gringos in Rincon. Choose your friends wisely. As with any tourist destination you have a lot of "folks with issues" who moved to the "islands" to get away from thier problems, only to find out the that they packed along thier biggest prombelm--themselves. Your GF should be able to find resort-type work pretty easy--especialy if she's youngish and attractive.
8) Tu nesacitas mas practicar a halbar espanol. I thought I knw spanish until my first day of work in SJ. As previous poster mentioned, PRs are very forgiving and encourging to language learners. Just keep plugging away. Rarely did I ever encounter a situation where some form of comunication was impossible. In fact most of co-workers were graduates of stateside universtiies and wrote with better english grammer than me! Living in SD you shoould be able to practice everyday.
9) Crime sucks in PR. I had my house broken into many times. And belive me ther wasn't much to steal. (a toaster, my running shoes, My kids clock radio, pillow from the bed) Sometimes the thiefs came in and had a bite to eat. I find empy milk cartons on the conter and bannana peals out by the small dipping pool. The cops do nothing. nada. Stealing does not have the same stigma as here in the states. On the flip side, I never did without. My neighbors would share the fruit from their trees. Eggs. Once I ran out of gas (becasue it was sphiponed whil I was at work). Some guy and his eldery mom stopped. Shippponed half a tank of gas from his car to mine and won't take a dollar. Once a woman gave my daughter her umberella durring arain strom. A completely different culture and way of looking at objects. Lessons me and my kids wil never forget. However, with the increase drug trafficing through PR and nd the USVI and the influx of "cartel like gangs from the VI and DR" violent crime is on the rise. Be careful, just like you'd be careful in baja.
With all that said about your move, follow your heart. People are gonna give you tons of advice based upon thier personal experiences. You know yourself, your standards, your llimitations, your streangths. I tell my kids (college age) that they have no one to impress but themselves. Everyone else's opinions are meaningless.

Now onto the wedding...Personally, I'm not fan of desination or overly extravagant weddings. Holdng your wedding so far from home may exclude people who you love really want in attendence. You wedding is life milestone to celbrate surrounded by those who support you and want a future of love for your new family.
Congraulations.

Last edited by Sunscape; 02-04-2014 at 05:03 AM..

Old 07-11-2014, 02:43 AM

49 posts, read 241,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db4570 View Post
I am not that familiar with the west coast, but it is supposed to be very nice. The closer you get to SJ the crazier it will get.

Be prepared to deal with a gruesome entrenched and useless government bureaucracy, a lot of noise and litter and petty theft and bums, and a real manana work ethic. Electricity and cars are expensive. Rent seems to be cheap. Food and other consumer goods seem to be about the same as the US.

David
I disagree with the food prices being about the same in the US. I moved here last month from the states. Food is much more than what I was paying in the states. Milk/gallon $5.58, 1/2 gallon $3. In the states I would pay $2.49-$3.08/gallon.

Price survey 7-2014
Wmt great value can of corn, peas, green beans $0.94, ragu spaghetti sauce 288

Sams club
Russet potatos 10 lb 448
Oranges 10 lb 1298 vs 1099 costco, cheaper costco
Apples gala 5 lb 798
Frozen strawberries 5 lb 898
Frozen blueberries 3 lb 998
Frozen pineapple 5 lb 898
Frozen papaya 5 lb 838
Eggs lg 18 272
Chs cheddar shredded 5 lb 1698 = 340/lb
Chs mozzarella 5 lb 1548 = 310/lb
Chs kraft slices 48 oz = 3 lb 818 = 272/lb
Chs kraft slices 32 oz = 2 lb 598 = 299/lb
Bananas 3 lb 147 = 49/lb vs 149 costco, cheaper sams
Onions white 5 lb 398 = 80/lb
Onions yellow 5 lb 378 = 76/lb
Strawberries 2 lb 498 = 249/lb vs 399 per 2 lb at Costco, cheaper costco
Blueberries 2 lb 598 = 299/lb vs 599 per 2 lb at Costco, cheaper sams
Raspberries 18 oz 428 = 24c/oz vs 46c Costco, cheaper sams
Blackberries 12 oz 298
Cherries red 2 lb 698 = 349/lb
Chicken breast skinless 238/lb
Chicken thighs skinless 198
Chicken thigh quarters w skin 129
Chicken breast split 178
Chicken parts various 188
Whole chicken 138
Wheat bread 2 pk 48 oz = 3 lb = 214 each
Tortilla flour La Banderita 25 oz 488 181

Costco prices *****************************************
Peanuts 40 oz 729 = 18.2/oz
Bananas 3 lb 149 = 49/lb vs 147 sams, cheaper sams
Watermelon 499
Oranges 10 lb 1099 vs 1298 sams, cheaper costco
Peaches 5 lb 899
Strawberries 2 lb 399 vs 498 sams, cheaper costco
Grapes green 4 lb 799
Grapes red 4 lb 849
Grapes red w seeds 5 lb 779
Grapes black 4 lb 779
Blackberries 18 oz 599 = 33c/oz
Blueberries 2 lbs 599 = 25c vs 598 sams club, cheaper sams
Raspberries 12 oz 549 = 46c/oz vs 24c sams club, cheaper sams
Lettuce romaine 6 hearts 479 = 80c each
Lettuce romaine 5 hearts 449 = 90c each
Lettuce 1.5 lb bag 299
Lettuce butter hydroponic 3 pk 489 = 163
Pineapple 279
Kiwi 4 lb 999 = 250/lb
Plums 4 lb 749 = 187/lb

Computer laptops are about $200 more in PR than in the states. Clothes seem to be priced about the same.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:57 AM

7 posts, read 13,725 times
Well, even though you are young, it's a good idea to think of a health plan coverage, which you would obviously have to pay on your own. I'm not an expert, but it seems to me health-related costs may be lower in Puerto Rico.

Regarding job possibilities for your fiancee: you mention pr (as in public relations, right?), hr, or grant writing. Human resources and grant writing do seem viable; not so much pr. She would need to be fluent in Spanish; also a good pr practitioner must have profound knowledge of the local nuances, in order to be an asset to her client. I once heard a pr person (who lived in the US) advise a local organization to reach out to Plaza las Américas (a big mall in Puerto Rico) in order to have them participate in a campaign for gay rights. Are you crazy? I said. The owners of Plaza las Américas are members of the Republican Party, and they are Opus Dei. See what I mean? HR, grant writing are both possibilities. Public Relations? No.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:07 AM

132 posts, read 237,736 times
The topic is a bit old, but in case the originator is still checking it:
After reading the above posts, I see a lot of negative remarks I do not agree with.
I moved here 12 years ago from Florida, and living here is superior here in many ways and very definitely cheaper with all things considered. Maybe utility rates are high, but if you live in mountain areas, you never need heat or air conditioning. Many services charged for in the mainland are free here. There is some bureaucracy, but nothing to seriously complain about.
Crime? Well, that depends where you live. Most towns in the western part are totally safe.
It is NOT that different from the states. Anywhere you move will be different.
Look around and see the differences from place to place. Most people I talk to who move here from the states love PR and will not move back.
Living anywhere and liking it us an individual thing and not so much about the pros and cins if the place. From what you write you will love Puerto Rico and be welcomed.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:47 PM

49 posts, read 241,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunpup View Post
Many services charged for in the mainland are free here.
Could specify which ones you are talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories